HobbyBoss 1/72 P-39N Airacobra

This latest completion was kind of built alongside the Heller P-39Q and I finally think I understand a little bit about the differences between the different P-39 variants. This is the HobbyBoss Easy Kit version of the P-39N in Soviet markings. HobbyBoss also sell this kit as a P-39Q and they seem to be as confused about the differences between variants as I was. The P-39Q has the underwing gun tubs but no guns in the wings themselves. The N has two guns per wing and no gun tubs. The HobbyBoss kit would have you fit the gun tubs to the wings which also have two guns per side. Leave off the tubs and fill the locating holes for an N, cut off the wing guns and use the tubs for a Q. The Q-25 and later had a 4-bladed prop, which is in the Heller kit, but not the HobbyBoss. 

I stuffed as much weight in the nose as I could, and sanded flat spots on the tyres to move the pivot point backwards and the model just barely sits on its three gear legs. This meant giving up any idea of having a spinning prop, it's glued on solid.

IMG_20190407_1742255IMG_20190407_1741380IMG_20190407_1742118IMG_20190407_1742313IMG_20190407_1742010IMG_20190407_1741481

• Like 28

Looks great!

I find the P-39 such a great subject and you have done a brilliant job

I built the Academy 1/72 a little while ago and put so much weight in the front end I dropped it nose first right on completion!....managed to piece it back together just!

Your Hobby Boss version is a winner

Well done

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Winenut said:

I built the Academy 1/72 a little while ago and put so much weight in the front end I dropped it nose first right on completion!....managed to piece it back together just!

Your Hobby Boss version is a winner

Well done

Been there, done that with a just completed Tamiya 1/48 Gloster Meteor. 

I have the Academy kit in the stash somewhere, along with the Verlinden detail set. I seem to have a good selection of P-39 decals as well so maybe it starts rising in the build pile.

I also just scored a FROG (unreleased) P-39D off ebay. 

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

@VMA131Marine any chance you know/remember how much weight you stuck in the nose? And, if so, how you did it?

I have no idea how much weight is in there. I use very small lead shot about 1/32” (about 1 mm) in diameter similar to this

https://alofthobbies.com/products/lead-shot?gclid=CjwKCAjw6MKXBhA5EiwANWLODFnjIuGBrMhxZ8aVoaRJqvluTrRxTwb5VXk5SHxMY6fUD09TBt2L-xoCef8QAvD_BwE

and just packed as much in the nose as I could. Even then, it was just barely enough to keep the model on all three wheels.

Tungsten shot has a density that is about 40% greater than that of lead (18g/cc vs 11g/cc) so that would make it easier to fit enough weight in such a small space.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I have no idea how much weight is in there. I use very small lead shot about 1/32” (about 1 mm) in diameter similar to this

https://alofthobbies.com/products/lead-shot?gclid=CjwKCAjw6MKXBhA5EiwANWLODFnjIuGBrMhxZ8aVoaRJqvluTrRxTwb5VXk5SHxMY6fUD09TBt2L-xoCef8QAvD_BwE

and just packed as much in the nose as I could. Even then, it was just barely enough to keep the model on all three wheels.

Tungsten shot has a density that is about 40% greater than that of lead (18g/cc vs 11g/cc) so that would make it easier to fit enough weight in such a small space.

Thanks for the tips! Yours looks great and glad you were able to get it to balance (even if just barely)!

• Thanks 1