Shooting Starfire

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Well it looks a lot better than it did ? I ground it into shape and re-scribed so i don't lose panel lines. Now to sand & polish it back to a good surface.

XKroZml.jpg

Lyx9tET.jpg

Heres the lunacy of Hobby-craft. The big grey line at the aft end of the wing you see is the wing fuselage break. The fainter line just below it is the fuselage break line for engine maintenance and removal ? Why on gods green earth didn't the kit designers just make that the wing fuselage line ??? You should have a very slight gap there ? :rage:Here is the other side of the wings.

eOHNwal.jpg

Looks worse than it really is, just needs to be finished sanded and polished. Questions, comments, or stories ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Kick it's bottom Seabass!  🍻

Looks like it should whip into shape alright once you get some primer/paint down.  There is something gratifying at the end when you have to put in some extra work to get there.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... Sanding polishing of the wings is finished. Glued the horizontal stabs on tonight. No photo’s as its boring stuff. Once those are good this will be shelved in the hopes i can procure the correct tanks ? 

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

WOW ... Four weeks Im sorry about that. I had this build paused while i was searching for the correct wing tanks ? I have a set winging there way from Belgium as i write this. I started to do a little today, in that i sorted the decals and gave some of the older stuff a coat of Microscale liquid decal film. Once the tanks arrive i can quickly finish them and the wings off. Then its onto paint. Questions, comments, or stories ? 

Dennis

You certainly have a few irons going all at once!  I admire your dedication & multi-kitting abilities.  If I get more than a couple going something gets sidelined for too long.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, helios16v said:

You certainly have a few irons going all at once!  I admire your dedication & multi-kitting abilities. 

Thank you I'm a bit insane with builds sometimes. Im disabled so most of my day is researching ( including helping others research) or building, that or Doctor's. I think my personal record was 7 late last year early this year. But currently i have the Patton group build im hosting and the M48 in that build, the F-94, A-7, F8F Bearcat, about to start the Buccaneer and Tempest builds soon. And i have at least 10 in the pile to start before the end of the year. This is my yearbook of completed builds for this year. 

B-18a Bolo

F-84F Thunderstreak

AT-ST Rebel Walker

69 Sq. Malta Mk.1 Hurricane

249 Sq. Malta Mk.Vb Spitfire

208 Sq. Mk.18 Spitfire 1949

6 Sq. Mk.VI Hawker Tempest 1949

Grampa’s M3a1 Lee

He-219

Bf-109G

To add this is whats sitting in my to do pile. Two F-4 phantoms an C & E. A P-40, P-51, at least two Bf-109's an Emil and a G with a possible second Emil. Possibly a Ju-86 my Brother in law gave me for last Christmas though i may save that for the Small wars group build.. For the film,sci-fi, whif build im hosting i will be doing a stearman, X-wing, & Y-wing. And possibly a Rufe for the floatplanes group-build if i have time.  I keep several builds going to fill in time while things are drying, setting or what have you. Im a bit of a workaholic but SWMBO doesn't mind as it keeps me out of her hair and her business. 

Dennis

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody... well I finally received the Fletcher style tanks today, all the way from Belgium.    RCzcAoL.jpg

So i finished them off rough sanded them, and i will polish/re-scribe them over the weekend. Once thats done i can mount them and start planning for painting. Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hello everybody... Well i have sanded, polished, and rescribed the wing tanks over the last few days. I decided they were good enough to be glued onto the wings today. 

1BXj7ti.jpg

iuM7v0X.jpg

vKEPkQu.jpg

XumBWNA.jpg

And a bit of a close up of the background art, its the Lockheed Skunkworks logo. 

kDKMzGg.jpg

Oddly enough not really meant to be in the photo. I drew that logo in High-shool in 1987. It used to hang in my weight-room in my old house. Since i stopped playing Football in 1989 it has hung over my workbench. Just a happy coincidence of it being photographed in the background while i built a Lockheed aircraft. Questions or comments ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello everybody well i hit it with primer today, which didn't go well. Im using Tamiya rattlecan for primer and now this is the 3rd time i have had issues with it. It started with my bearcat and then this and my Buccaneer build. Its been forming these 1 cm long blobs of paint in mid-air and i wind up getting these little bumps all over the plane. They look like bubbles but aren't ? Ive already Scraped them off and rough sanded them down. I will wet sand everything tonight and tomorrow to regain the smoothness. I did find sone tiny flaws that needed filler though, and thats been added. 

aKGYO9K.jpg

Questions, comments, or thoughts about the primer issue ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

hi ALL ,

well to think,  the Techo's workin'on the  F-94's nose instrumentation..... a Smart Phone nearly does it all  now !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• Like 1

😞 It is with heavy heart i now must put this on hold indefinitely. I was painting the aluminum, and everything was going great until i got to the nose. I dropped the plane and it busted the centerline seam open from nose to cockpit. I can fix the nose seam. However i used up my last bit of aluminum paint, and I have zero chance of getting any until August 5th. My Birthday money will be my next budget allowance. So I will sadly be bowing out of the build unless i come across some miracle of $ infusion. 

Dennis

• Sad 3

Hello everybody... Determined not to be beaten i looked at all of my paints to see if i had anything usable, Nothing ! So i took a look in the original bottle to see how much there was. I noticed something funny, the bottle looked empty. However there was about an 1/4 inch of sludge at the bottom. So on a whim i dropped a bunch of x-20 thinner into the bottle, cut a piece of sprue and stirred for all i was worth. I wound up getting about an 1/4 of paint. More than enough to continue. I painted the aluminum today and its masked up currently for the day-glo panels. I will post some photo's when those are done. 

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Too good to give up now. 

Don't forget the top of the nose is not silver anyway,  it's black with the anti glare strip so based on your previous comments you might not need any more silver/aluminium. 

Colin  

23 hours ago, Colin W said:

Too good to give up now. 

Don't forget the top of the nose is not silver anyway,  it's black with the anti glare strip so based on your previous comments you might not need any more silver/aluminium. 

Colin  

Yes but i still needed aluminum to touch up a lot of bad spots. This Tamiya aluminum is extremely fragile. Not to mention the gloves i was wearing had some form of reaction to the paint/thinner ? I kept finding melted spots in the shape of fingerprints wherever i touched the dry paint ? Im not sure what they were made of i grabbed them from a doctors office a while ago ? Most of my doctors dont mind if i take a pair or two of gloves. I normally use purple nitrile gloves but these were white and non latex so had some kind of reaction. Anyway the yellow base for the day-glo panels is on now.

HAu5Qdw.jpg

I will spray the orange tonight. Since thats enamel i will let it dry and set for a few days before i spray the anti-glare panels on the nose and inner faces of the wing tanks. Questions, comments, or thoughts please ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

Sorry for the lack of photo updates. I painted the day-glo and cleared it at about 00:30 local. I will post photo's when i wake up. I will let it sit a day or two before paint. Probably paint it on Friday as i have to go to Federal court on Thursday for a hearing. I will most likely mask it for the Anti glare panels today. 

Dennis

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Tamiya aluminum is extremely fragile. Not to mention the gloves i was wearing had some form of reaction to the paint/thinner ? I kept finding melted spots in the shape of fingerprints wherever i touched the dry paint ? Im not sure what they were made of i grabbed them from a doctors office a while ago ? Most of my doctors dont mind if i take a pair or two of gloves. I

Wow that's a new one for me.

I use a stick to hold mine and find the modern paint very durable. Tamiya enamel I use a lot for small areas with no problem. It really does seem like the gloves are suspect. Hope you got it sorted. 

Colin 

• Thanks 1

I use Tamiya quite a bit especially for metal finishes. This is a first for me to ? I tossed the gloves as soon as i saw what was happening. 

2 hours ago, Colin W said:

I use a stick to hold mine

I did too until the model took a 3 foot nose dive last week. Im holding onto that thing like its a brick of gold now. 

• Like 1

Maybe the gloves got tainted with thinners or something?  I used to use a cotton glove but it ended up making things worse.  Now just use mk.1 fingers, but I seem to have very dry hands - good for holding models, not always great otherwise!

Starfire looks nice, I have a 1/72 one to build one day...

Cheers

Will

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, malpaso said:

Maybe the gloves got tainted with thinners or something?

That could be 🤔 i was messing with Lacquer thinner for some mixing ? I would've thought that might liquefy the gloves as well but guess not ? 

Hello everybody... Well i finally got the main colors done. I still think the aluminum paint from Tamiya is very delicate. Because of all the issues I have hit this with a grand total of 5 coats of aluminum in some areas. The MM orange was only one session of about 3 coats, the Tamiya yellow the same. The ammo by mig green about 4 light costs built up in one session. Anyway here is what it looks like currently. 

nIrd3dW.jpg

I still need to paint the radome. 

dDc3j8z.jpg

P6usvUA.jpg

F2b6FoP.jpg

dOm3zti.jpg

DD4Ugpt.jpg

PcvZvsI.jpg

Please feel free to ask Questions, comment, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 7

Well i placed the few decals on this today. They're not that many, and i may consider fudging it and adding a "NACA" title to the lower wings just to fill in the blank spaces ? 

EMDooNw.jpg

lbrhnKo.jpg

the yellow on the tail needs some touching up but i think everything else is good.  

Dennis

• Like 2