Shooting Starfire

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello this is my entry for this build. The Hobbycraft F-94A Starfire. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hobbycraft-hc1597-f-94a-jet-night-fighter--205576#

I haven't decide which markings yet but am liking a few options. I will post sprue shots later, however i included a link to the Scale-mates listing for the kit. A few of the front runners are the 4th FIS. 

Ufne9Ar.png

UZubwqs.png

The 56th FIG, 61st FIS With these shark-mouthed aircraft. 

M6mW6ZA.png

mIqAwSC.png

And last up is a Civilian aircraft operated by NACA the forerunner of NASAHqOELub.jpg

KN6SRV0.jpg

QmttZfg.jpg

Questions, comments, or jokes please ? 

Dennis

• Like 4

Ok as promised here are the obligatory sprue shots.

KN17iav.jpg

As you can see a completely unopened kit. 

z1mbKvV.jpg

Sadly they just threw the canopy in with everything else. I foresee lots of buffing & polishing in my future. 

WWGSmLJ.jpg

EPSoWBd.jpg

nZimtIP.jpg

AyYCBln.jpg

Not a lot of parts to this so i don't see a lengthy build. However i will be a late starter to the build as i have 4 builds going before this. And i have an Fujimi A-7D Corsair II, coming up in the sharkmouths build. Questions, comments, and Jokes if you please. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

Im liking the NACA plane a lot but would need to find someone to print a decal of the NACA tail logo. 

6FqbtqO.jpg

Im pretty sure its a field of Yellow with Black stripes/writing. This is what the logo looked like in color.

mtx7suc.jpg

If that happens this would quickly move to the front as an option. It seems the plane was used to study the effects of sonic booms over populated areas. Here is an excerpt from a book about it. 

nmtwCJ0.png

F-94B 51-5329 was used to study aerodynamic noise until 1959. Until that day though, i think I'm going with a 61st F.I.S. Shark-mouthed plane. 

• Like 2

Well I've sent an email to NASA Historical division. Im not expecting to much, but I've had luck in the past so i gave it a shot. I did find two separate 1/48 decal sheets that provide the NACA logo in various sizes. One from Cutting edge 48-236 and a sheet from Super-scale made for the IPMS Nationals in 1996. So if i can track those down maybe i can build the NACA Starfire. 

• Like 2

Dennis, looking at this... 

QmttZfg.jpg

.... it's just the black outline you need, to go over the yellow Korean style fin band, which is very paintable with the black borders. 

DIY on clear decal paper?? 

I don't often find this section. Somebody flagged it up on my WIP. 

Quite nice here, isn't it?! 😇

• Like 2

Hello Rob the band is the easy thing to do. Its what goes inside thats the hard part. I could go for the NASA band. But i am really looking to do the NACA markings. So this is what I'm looking to print.

6FqbtqO.jpg

The owl logo inside. But i actually may have a line on them through another member, so I'm not in such a bad place. We’ll see in the end if i get lucky with the decals. 

I don't often find this section. Somebody flagged it up on my WIP. 

Quite nice here, isn't it?! ”

To answer your question in a word. Yes, i find most of my build time is down here now. That or offline builds. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello Everybody I'm happy to announce that I've been able to get a hold of decals to build the NACA F-94B. I was able to do this through a combination of spares, and a member here in the U.S.A. who has the NACA owl’s. As much as id like to build a military jet. I really like the idea of doing a swords into ploughs build. Taking a weapon of war and using it for civilian research seems like a noble way of doing this. 

Dennis 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Some explanation of the sound tests on this page. (in case you didn't see it)

I had found the page, but lost the link thanks for posting it Bob. I know i will have to do some minor things. The removal of guns, addition of tanks( in box already). I will have to see what else. 

Hello Everyone... This isn't forgotten. Ive just received the needed NACA owl logo’s from a member, so now my decals are complete. As for conversion from A to B to civilian research aircraft. I have removal of guns, second is the wing tip tanks (got those in the box). Last up is the strengthening ring in the canopy. Thats about the only major visual changes i can figure out. The jet engine was upgraded yes, however because thats not visible i cant really do much visuallyso i think that covers it. I will be starting this in the next few days. Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

42 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

second is the wing tip tanks (got those in the box)

the tanks in the F-94A kit are different to the tanks in the F-94B kit,  the ones in the B are tip mounted and have a side fin. 

see here

https://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/hobbycraftt33F94.htm

the B has this

F

6 parts, 265 gallon Fletcher tip tanks

the A kit gas this

F*

6 parts, under wing 265 gallon Misawa tanks and wingtips

I know this as I got an A kit, but wanted a B...

So, you need the Fletcher tanks,  these are also in the T-33 kit (details in the link) 

HTH

• Sad 1

Well Darn ... That stinks. I misunderstood the looks of what i had. When i briefly looked at the kit the last time. I thought these were wingtip tanks, unfortunately you're correct Troy. Now my few options are to A change subject matter to a different F-94 (not likely). B To proceed and ignore the issue (possibly). Third option to cut them off my T-33 kit (not likely). Im usually going for the most accurate but in this case i think i may fudge it a little ? And use the kit tanks. I could just leave the tips/tanks off in the hope i can find a spare set from a T-33 ? Maybe that is my best option ? Its that or i bow out of the build, as this is my only current Lockheed product. 

Dennis

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I could just leave the tips/tanks off in the hope i can find a spare set from a T-33 ? Maybe that is my best option ?

If I read the sprue chart correctly in the link,  the Misawa tanks are a less common set of parts than the Fletcher tanks,  you might want to check a site with a larger US membership and see if anyone has spare Fletcher tanks, or has a F-94B but wanted and F-94A....

Also, only one boxing of the Academy T-33 had the Misawa tanks,  so maybe out there has Fletcher but wants Misawa tanks...

Plus, always worth asking in our wanted section.

A quick check shows the Great Wall Hobby T-33 only has Fletcher tanks,   so maybe there is demand for the Misawa...

HTH

• Thanks 1

Well i started the Starfire last night. I started with the base color of the cockpit. Then i removed and filled the gun troughs. I haven't sanded down the filler and need to finish painting the office. Currently this is the only photo i have right now. 

nv9cc3n.jpg

More later folks. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hello all... Well I've finished the office other than belts.

2wRYebx.jpg

WgRZk2O.jpg

byPg9IV.jpg

5lvvyr4.jpg

BKrtQnQ.jpg

Vcd2CQV.jpg

bjPDeXH.jpg

Zv4uKX2.jpg

SnV16OI.jpg

sHHp6ZF.jpg

I also placed an add in the wanted area for a trade for the correct tanks. I will take this build to the stage of painting. Then i will pause the work until a set date, in the hopes of getting tanks for it. If no such luck occurs at that time. I will then proceed at that date to finish the build, with standard tips and no tanks. Questions, comments, or jokes if you will ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

Not much done today test fit the lower wing. OUCH is all i can say. 1HnTMKK.jpg

That was fully against all the joints. After sanding the roof of the landing gear bay to a paper thin consistency. That and doing some poking and prodding. I was able to get it to a satisfactory fit. It will still need some filler. Then again i knew that from building the Academy T-33. 

Dennis

• Sad 2

My condolences.

I expected more figment issues with the academy version I did but surprisingly enough it was easily remedied by only glueing a little at a time and I used superglue on the leading edge.

if I see that I would have just threw it out lol...good luck.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Beazer said:

if I see that I would have just threw it out lol...good luck.

This is nothing I've had way worse. With my $ situation i just keep plugging away, i cant really afford to toss anything. So i make the best product i can with the raw materials available. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello Everyone... Well having caught up on some other stuff, i jumped back to this today. After sanding and polishing the fuselage i had no choice but the inevitable. So i went ahead and glued the wings on. ☹️:suicide:

Thats when all the fun began. I knew the center section was going to be an issue. But never thought id have issues with the wings themselves. Reason being is when I built the T-33, it only had the center section issues. Normally i almost always opt to build the wings up as a unit. Then glue that to the fuselage. Some times i get a feeling to go the other way. 

I decided to glue the bottom wing in an attempt to fix the center section, it almost worked. When i was test fitting the upper wings, i realized the nightmare that was the port upper wing. It was about a 1/4 inch longer than the lower. I figure it must have stretched when it was pulled out of the mold. Here is what it looked like after i glued it to the lower wing.

Ur4oDoU.jpg

Hard to see so lets take a closer look. 

wdcOj2O.jpg

The top view, take a look at the root and wing tip in the following photo’s. 

EKFbkhb.jpg

pPqODB8.jpg

lDHArs1.jpg

That was the worst of it. The starboard was the correct length but it still has gaps.  

TQjZGqS.jpg

t3eZ9Wb.jpg

2Hq2Dnq.jpg

In the end it was to much and the center section is back to where i started. Guess I'm just going old school on this thing. Going to pack it with filler and file the life out of it. This won't be pretty for a NMF Jet. However i will get it in the end. Questions, comments, or stories ?

Dennis

• Like 1

Crazy thought.  What if you removed that troubling section by following the fuselage lines and then taking a Drexel underneath. 

Then you could bevel the edges on both sides?  Might be easier than filler,  but might be a bit crazy!

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Beazer ... unfortunately last night while the server was being upgraded. I did something stupid, i actually worked on the model. Currently the depression has been filled with plastic strip and filler and has been drying since 23:30 local time. The wings leading edges were sanded and shaped. The one hole on the leading edge was filled, along with the wing/fuselage joins. Ive also taped off everything but the seams. Ultimately in hopes of preserving as much detail as possible. See you after the sanding frenzy. Questions and comments always welcomed. 

Dennis