F6F-3 Hellcat. Eduard 1/48

Despite not finishing the Hobby Boss Hellcat yet I can't resist this any longer.

IMG_7000

The main reason why I had to make a start was I had a theory🤔. Mention was made in my Hobby Boss Hellcat thread of the poor fit of the engine cowling and cowling ring in the Eduard kit.

In this particular boxing there is a choice of three cowlings and one cowling ring which will fit all. My theory being perhaps only one of these cowlings could be the suspect of a poor fit, (Or maybe two but hopefully not all of them).

If just one of them is ok I won't need to do any remedial work and just build that version.

Three cowlings assembled and marked so I know at a glance which is which...

IMG_7001

I then dry fitted the cowling ring on each of them and also tested the cowlings on the taped together fuselage halves just to make sure. 

The result..... everything fits perfectly. Either I've been lucky or someone else unlucky. Now I face the decision of which of the five aircraft to build. 😁

Edited by Roger Newsome
Grammar
  • Like 7

On 07/04/2019 at 19:32, Roger Newsome said:

Either I've been lucky or someone else unlucky.

or, as quite seems to be the case with modern, very precisely fitting kits,  'user induced error'  whereby said user does not pay attention, or is sloppy, and does not remove sprue nibs, mould lines, or even a coat of paint on an internal bulkhead,  and finds 'fit problems'  and then blames the kit.... as it can't possibly be them....and then  it goes into the internet echo chamber.

Sure, some kits are over engineered,  and set up in a way that a easy to make error early throws it all out,  not helped by pictorial instructions don't have warning symbols saying this bit is crucial.  

Neat bit of work on the cockpit.    

cheers

T

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

or, as quite seems to be the case with modern, very precisely fitting kits,  'user induced error'  whereby said user does not pay attention, or is sloppy, and does not remove sprue nibs, mould lines, or even a coat of paint on an internal bulkhead,  and finds 'fit problems'  and then blames the kit.... as it can't possibly be them....and then  it goes into the internet echo chamber.

Sure, some kits are over engineered,  and set up in a way that a easy to make error early throws it all out,  not helped by pictorial instructions don't have warning symbols saying this bit is crucial.  

Neat bit of work on the cockpit.    

cheers

T

Thanks Troy, whatever the reason I'm glad I didn't have any fit issues, that's one thing that can put me right off a project.

Roger.

5 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Well, you opened the kit in the name of science to find out if the cowling is faulty or not, so you haven't really started another kit have you?

I'll just ignore the fact that you did a very nice cockpit...

😆😆😆 In the name of.... ermm.... 🤔 something else I've also started another one too. We'll call it in the name of US Navy aviation. 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's a great start and I'm pleased to see that the cowlings are not an issue after all (so now I might have a go at one myself). I'm more than happy to hold my hands up and say that I was one who had heard that the cowls were a bad fit and repeated that without having tried for myself. I will not be repeating that rumour again. :sorry:

Interesting to see that despite Hobby Boss's reputation for inaccuracies it is still the only one (in 1/48 scalar that I'm aware of) that has got the cockpit floor right. Are there any aftermarket sets for the Eduard kit out there or could the HBB cockpit floor be used I wonder? Ignore that, I was thinking of Wildcats again!

I have known people to buy the HBB Hellcat just for the wing fold to fit to the Eduard kit, which would be a major bit of surgery but does apparently work (again, I've never tried this so don't just take my word for it!).

Duncan B

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Christer A said:

Well, you opened the kit in the name of science to find out if the cowling is faulty or not, so you haven't really started another kit have you?

I'll just ignore the fact that you did a very nice cockpit...

Well, serial starters are more common than we used to think... :whistle:

Nice Cockpit Roger  Still my offer is standing...:whistle:

The monogram has a basic wing folding .... Basic but.... Huh !!

Mine will have the cat mouth... Not really original but !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Duncan B said:

That's a great start and I'm pleased to see that the cowlings are not an issue after all (so now I might have a go at one myself). I'm more than happy to hold my hands up and say that I was one who had heard that the cowls were a bad fit and repeated that without having tried for myself. I will not be repeating that rumour again. :sorry:

Interesting to see that despite Hobby Boss's reputation for inaccuracies it is still the only one (in 1/48 scalar that I'm aware of) that has got the cockpit floor right. Are there any aftermarket sets for the Eduard kit out there or could the HBB cockpit floor be used I wonder? I ask that because I have known people to buy the HBB Hellcat just for the wing fold to fit to the Eduard kit, which would be a major bit of surgery but does apparently work (again, I've never tried this so don't just take my word for it!).

Duncan B

Thank you and there's no need to apologize Duncan, forewarned is forearmed. Fortunately in this case I got away with out a problem. 

To be perfectly honest what you can see of the cockpit floor, even with the canopy open, isn't something that will be keeping me awake at night. 

Now you know the cowls aren't a problem you can get started anytime you wish. 😉

5 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Well, serial starters are more common than we used to think... :whistle:

Nice Cockpit Roger  Still my offer is standing...:whistle:

The monogram has a basic wing folding .... Basic but.... Huh !!

Mine will have the cat mouth... Not really original but !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. I was thinking of the cat mouth but I'm drawn to Lt. Alexander Vraciu's aircraft. That's probably not very original either but he was some pilot. 

• Like 2

And he has been the host of a Fighter display in Duxford years ago !

Because, the Hellcat belonging to Mr Stephen Grey was one the Vraciu's cab !!

Really moving to see himin the flesh !

Great choice indeed !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

And he has been the host of a Fighter display in Duxford years ago !

Because, the Hellcat belonging to Mr Stephen Grey was one the Vraciu's cab !!

Really moving to see himin the flesh !

Great choice indeed !

Sincerely.

CC

I can't really change my mind now can I? 😆

Maybe this is the best way, make a public statement to stop further mind changing over which one to depict. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I ask that because I have known people to buy the HBB Hellcat just for the wing fold to fit to the Eduard kit, which would be a major bit of surgery but does apparently work (again, I've never tried this so don't just take my word for it!).

indeed

and in my best Blue Peter style.... here's one I made earlier

On 15/07/2017 at 11:36, Troy Smith said:

in short,yes.

here

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/cleaver/us/tmcf6f.htm

and  with  more detail,  pics have PB'd.... probably visible if you click  them,

note,  the Eduard Hellcat nightfighter (maybe only the profipack) comes with 2 fuselages etc,  which is what Enzo used,  if you wanted 2 Hellcats and are creative with bits.

HTH

T

cheers

T

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Interesting to see that despite Hobby Boss's reputation for inaccuracies it is still the only one (in 1/48 scalar that I'm aware of) that has got the cockpit floor right. Are there any aftermarket sets for the Eduard kit out there or could the HBB cockpit floor be used I wonder?

what wrong with the floor?  Not heard this mentioned before, and there was a proper rivet counter discussion on Hyperscale a while back on the pluses and minuses of various 1/48th Hellcats, mostly Hasegawa vs Eduard,  though I believe the old Otaki(then Arri, Matchbox and Airfix) scrubs up well with some new bits.  

Ah, here

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/1-48-hellcats-eduard-or-hobby-boss-t241195.html

@Roger Newsome  I hope this is of interest, and not thread clutter! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

I can't really change my mind now can I? 😆

Maybe this is the best way, make a public statement to stop further mind changing over which one to depict. 

I will look if I can find back the article

In french of course since it has been published in "Le fana de l'aviation"

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

indeed

and in my best Blue Peter style.... here's one I made earlier

cheers

T

That's a very interesting read, so for £12.50 or so you get the wing fold, control surfaces, engine and wheels/wheelwells from the HBB kit to use with the spare fuselage of the Eduard dual combo. Now that makes sense.

13 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

what wrong with the floor?  Not heard this mentioned before, and there was a proper rivet counter discussion on Hyperscale a while back on the pluses and minuses of various 1/48th Hellcats, mostly Hasegawa vs Eduard,  though I believe the old Otaki(then Arri, Matchbox and Airfix) scrubs up well with some new bits.  

Ah, here

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/1-48-hellcats-eduard-or-hobby-boss-t241195.html

@Roger Newsome  I hope this is of interest, and not thread clutter! 

Sorry, I was getting confused with the Wildcat I think, I was remembering a cockpit floor with gaps! Ignore me, it's my age :)

Duncan B

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Sorry, I was getting confused with the Wildcat I think, I was remembering a cockpit floor with gaps! Ignore me, it's my age :)

Duncan B

Good job I decided not to worry about the floor. 😆😆😆

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Thanks CC. I was thinking of the cat mouth but I'm drawn to Lt. Alexander Vraciu's aircraft. That's probably not very original either but he was some pilot. 

That is a coincidence, I was looking on the Eduard site last weekend and I clicked on a bunny club edition of the Hellcat that includes Vraciu's markings, but a reality check made me take it out of the basket as I do have the Eduard and old Otaki kits already in the stash. :hmmm:

• Like 1

Looking good so far.

I have the Eduard Dual Combo boxing which has a Mk I and a Mk II in the box with all the goodies - great value.   I've built the Mk I which is a great kit and I'm looking forward to the Mk II.  Next year maybe.

Mark

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

to use with the spare fuselage of the Eduard dual combo.

Not the dual combo, the F6F-5N profipack,  which also has the -3 fuselage and cowlings,. but not the front part, see

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/F6F-5N-Nightfighter-1-48.html

AFAIK this is the only Hellcat boxing with a spare fuselage,  there maybe another

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

curiosity got the better of me and it would appear Tamiya got it wrong with the floor of their 1/48 Wildcat by having a solid floor which means the pilot wouldn't be able to see out of the windows in the underside of the fuselage. 

Roger.

correct

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

Sorry, I was getting confused with the Wildcat I think, I was remembering a cockpit floor with gaps!

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/f4f4tb_1.htm

I started with the cockpit. I cut away the sides of the cockpit floor so you can see through the belly windows. 

f4f4tn_cockpit1.jpg

The Tamiya Wildcat has this problem,  which is easy to correct, just cut away the offending bits, as the above shows,  you may want too add the fuel tank, but it's a modeller fix, rather than 'buy some expensive AM' fix

Note the cockpit above is correctly in Bronze Green. 

Tamiya only do an F4F-4 as well.

The Hobby Boss Wildcat family,  there are 6, F4F-3 early and late, F4F-4, F4F-3S with floats, FM-1 and FM-2, are rated overall as good,  the only one with problems is the FM-2,  which doesn't get the cowl right.   Can be got very cheaply as well.

Apologies for the thread drift again @Roger Newsome  but hopefully of interest.  You can blame me if you suddenly decide to do a Wildcat as well :whistle:

cheers

T

• Like 4