P-38J Lightning

MarkSH

Evening all,

I will be doing the Academy 1/48 P-38J from the 'Droopsnoot' kit:

40591458323_b926e99fc8_b.jpg

...and the contents:

46833832404_8765b04a91_b.jpg

I will be building pretty much out of the box, but I do have a small fret of PE on order for various details. I will be doing the box art subject aircraft, as I actually really dislike the shape of the other noses in the kit and as this is my first attempt at a P-38 I'd like it to at least look like the typical Lightning.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Davek72 said:

Hey Mark looking forward to your build hope it’s ok that I am building a similar kit.  

Dave 

Of course its OK, its always good to see different 'takes' on a similar build.

Rob, you should see my box (lid) with an Academy, a Hasegawa, and I think maybe (?) substantial parts of another.  I keep thinking, "Yeah, I need to sort that out..." and then walking past again.  I tried to tell myself that this would be a good time to build one (thus sorting!), but I guess I wasn't very convincing.  Hmm, I'm going to have the house to myself for a couple hours this afternoon....

Just to make it more interesting, they're in very similar shades of naked styrene grey.

• Like 2

• MarkSH changed the title to P-38J Lightning
  • 1 month later...

Evening all,

A very delayed start to this GB, apologies:

I have managed to get the cockpit painted and fitted, I have used an Eduard 'zoom' PE set to add some detail and its worked fine for the cockpit......

48039168558_baaa163497_b.jpg

48039128211_d661b71032_b.jpg

…...however I have just tried to fit the grilles to the nacelle air scoops and the Eduard PE is woefully inadequate so I have replaced it with some mesh of my own:

48039127866_7ac67b1c8f_b.jpg

48039231262_e55f759ddf_b.jpg

A bit coarse for the scale and possibly slightly out of a truly representative position, but at least it fills the intake fully unlike the Eduard efforts, some paint should make it a little less prominent to the eye.

48039127581_a110d39bd1_b.jpg

...and the rear.

Its a start.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4