Brengun 1/72 Hawker Typhoon 1b (early)

Just finished, my take on the very nice Brengun Typhoon (early car-door);

40590913913_1261740d0a_b.jpgDN439, 198 Sqdn, RAF Ouston, Jan 1943 (52) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

40590914053_b16000d8b3_b.jpgDN439, 198 Sqdn, RAF Ouston, Jan 1943 (51) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

40590914373_9667d0d8f0_b.jpgDN439, 198 Sqdn, RAF Ouston, Jan 1943 (48) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

40590914863_e5887f12ce_b.jpgDN439, 198 Sqdn, RAF Ouston, Jan 1943 (27) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

40590915183_5dd3a5d241_b.jpgDN439, 198 Sqdn, RAF Ouston, Jan 1943 (19) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

This is a Hawker Typhoon 1b, DN439 of 198 Squadron at RAF Ouston, Northumberland in January 1943. The squadron was still working up during their brief three week stay at RAF Ouston, and their intended role was fighter interception. Only later on in 1944 did 198 Squadron become one of the leading exponents of ground attack and close support, using rocket and bomb equipped Typhoons. In early February 1943 198 Squadron moved to nearby RAF Acklington and were declared operational. It was 16th February 1943 on an operational scramble that DN439 swung on takeoff, ground looped and was wrecked. The pilot W/O W.L. Mount was unhurt, but DN439 had lasted barely a month from new. New identification markings for Typhoons had been introduced in December 1942, to try and reduce the number being shot down in mistake for FW190s. Thus the prominent underwing stripes (NOT 'D-Day' markings), yellow uppersurface bands, and black ring around the spinner. My code letter 'E' is not confirmed, but records show that another 'E' served with the squadron, probably arriving not long after DN439 was wrecked, so likely to be a replacement 'E'.

The Brengun kit is a very nice 'cottage industry' example, accurate and finely detailed, but like all limited run kits it needs extra work to put together. It contains parts for both early and late Typhoons. The markings were made up from Xtradecal sheets, and the kit's decals were not used.

• Like 38

Super job on that Philip, I think that scheme with the underwing stripes, yellow stripes across the wing et al is one of the best there is for a Typhoon & your finishing has enhanced it beautifully.

Steve.

Many thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated. If you are intending to build one I should add a word of warning. I had a real problem getting the canopy to fit as the back end was sitting well proud of the fuselage. I had to shave the curved fuselage to a triangular shape and also shave down the aerial mount. It was only when trawling the internet for similar, that I found a comment that Brengun subsequently introduced a revised fuselage to solve the problem. I don't know if this is true, and I don't know how you can tell if you have the revised kit.

That's a terrific looking Typhoon which brings out all its aggressive power.  I've oftern wondered about the Brengun kits as a source for early Typhoons.  Seeing this I think I'll need to get one!