1/72 Fabric wing Hurricane

Hi all

Finished this one recently , nice kit to build, built OOB apart from the seat harness.  Brush painted with Humbrol Enamels and weathered using Oil paints and weathering powders.

There is no Whip as there have been quite a few on the go and did not want to add another.

Hope you like

c7dac018-fa3a-4dc3-a01c-48fe34bbb6c6.JPG

88eb10f6-2b9a-4078-851f-c85f7e21dc65.JPG

a9845c29-7cdd-48d8-b698-7bb025eb080c.JPG

00a723f3-191b-4532-b390-ba69f06aeeaa.JPG

3e241194-2e17-49f7-b8da-a0ff08eb797b.JPG

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 52

That's very neat Chris.

a couple of comments.

You missed the yellow prop tips, easy enough to add on though.

May I suggest that for oil weathering try using a dark grey, on mine I made up a mix using  black, raw umber and white,  which made a dark grey,  which is gives a more gentle shadow.  

Possibly just more pronounced in the photos?  

I note you added the wing tip lights,  clear with coloured bulbs.... lovely attention to detail  :goodjob:

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Very nicely finished, Chris.👍

Thanks Vinnie, most kind

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Beautiful finish Chris,weathering look's just right too.

Thanks Steve, I wanted a fairly clean machine

46 minutes ago, Saddler said:

I've got one in the stash, hope it turns out as good ! 👍

Thanks Saddler that's very kind of you. I am sure you will enjoy it, it is very nice to build

43 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

That's very neat Chris.

a couple of comments.

You missed the yellow prop tips, easy enough to add on though.

May I suggest that for oil weathering try using a dark grey, on mine I made up a mix using  black, raw umber and white,  which made a dark grey,  which is gives a more gentle shadow.  

Possibly just more pronounced in the photos?  

I note you added the wing tip lights,  clear with coloured bulbs.... lovely attention to detail  :goodjob:

cheers

T

Thanks Troy, I think the photos do show it up a bit more than the old MK1 eyeball, I used black and burnt sienna oils mixed.

The instructions show an all black prop without the yellow tips and I wasn't sure if they were introduced later, I did some searching but could not figure it out. When I unpack it from storage I can add those (when I get the house finished).

Thanks again

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

From one Chris to another Chris, that Hurricane looks great. If mine comes out half as nice, I'll be stoked.

Yes, Airfix has doodled the dog a few times by not indicating prop tip colour. Of their three different releases of this Hurricane, the only one to show yellow tips on the prop is AO1010. Your kit (A55111) and mine (AO2067) don't show it.

Chris

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Lovely bit of brushwork!

Justin

Thanks Justin

10 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

From one Chris to another Chris, that Hurricane looks great. If mine comes out half as nice, I'll be stoked.

Yes, Airfix has doodled the dog a few times by not indicating prop tip colour. Of their three different releases of this Hurricane, the only one to show yellow tips on the prop is AO1010. Your kit (A55111) and mine (AO2067) don't show it.

Chris

Thanks Chris.  That's interesting, I wonder why, I thought it perhaps pre dated them but was wrong and looks to be an omission perhaps. I will add them when unpacked.

All the best

Chris

41 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I think the photos do show it up a bit more than the old MK1 eyeball, I used black and burnt sienna oils mixed.

Try adding a bit of white, worth experimenting, I think I just had some beginners luck ;)  

I read about using Paynes Grey in a posting by Roy Sutherland, and thought I'd give a less stark look a try.   I was very pleased. 

41 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The instructions show an all black prop without the yellow tips and I wasn't sure if they were introduced later, I did some searching but could not figure it out.

13 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's interesting, I wonder why, I thought it perhaps pre dated them but was wrong and looks to be an omission perhaps. I will add them when unpacked.

In the KW-Z starter kit boxing, it's because they only use the 4 supplied paints, and don't indicate any other colours (note they say 30 green for the insides and 90 sky for the wheel wells).   Not sure about the other boxing though. 

3 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

the KW-Z starter kit boxing, it's because they only use the 4 supplied paints, and don't indicate any other colours (note they say 30 green for the insides and 90 sky for the wheel wells).   Not sure about the other boxing though

Thanks Troy

I suppose that makes sense as it's a starter kit, I did wonder why the U/C bays were shown as sky . 

Thanks for pointing that out.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Excellent!!!!!:clap:

Thanks Sky Keg

10 hours ago, IanC said:

I like that a lot.

Just the right amount of shine on the paintwork and nicely restrained chipping on the metal panels..

Thanks Ian, very kind of you.

8 hours ago, Winenut said:

Cracking Hurri.

Very nice version indeed

Well done

Thanks Winenut, it's a cracking little kit

8 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Supurbly done...   

Thanks Hairtrigger

Wow thanks everyone for your kind comments

All the best

Chris

That really looks good. I've got the same kit (different stickers though) on the go at the moment and I've been finding it a fun little build. If mine turns out half as nice as that I shall be mighty pleased!

Great job 👍

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That really looks good. I've got the same kit (different stickers though) on the go at the moment and I've been finding it a fun little build. If mine turns out half as nice as that I shall be mighty pleased!

Great job 👍

Unfortunately, when I build mine, it will turn out half as nice! Excellent job on the Hurricane, Chris!

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 3

Nicely done.

The first Airfix Hurricane I'll be doing, (new tool anyway), will probably the BoB GB (next year?) if it makes the list 🙂

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2019 at 11:10 PM, danntheman said:

Great job.

Thanks Dan

On 4/9/2019 at 2:18 PM, glatisant said:

Excellent Hurricane. Really well finished.

Very kind of you thank you Glatisant

On 4/9/2019 at 5:05 PM, Smithy said:

Great job 👍

Thanks Smithy, I am sure yours will be just as good if not better, it is a fun kit and would recommend as a MoJo restorer. 

On 4/9/2019 at 5:35 PM, Learstang said:

Unfortunately, when I build mine, it will turn out half as nice! Excellent job on the Hurricane, Chris!

Regards,

Jason

LOL Thanks Jason very kind of you.

21 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Nicely done.

The first Airfix Hurricane I'll be doing, (new tool anyway), will probably the BoB GB (next year?) if it makes the list 🙂

:goodjob:

Davey.

Thanks Davey, go on go for it, it's ideal for a GB, infact I should have saved mine for a GB as I never finish any GB on time !!!

20 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice Chris,....... lovely job mate,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, it's a cracking kit.

10 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Positively sexual 👍

Thanks Oberleutnant, very kind of you.

Thanks for looking in everyone

All the best

Chris

• Like 2