FM-1 Wildcat 1/48 Hobby Boss

Ahoy, 

I finished off the Wildcat a week or so ago and have made a start on the HB P-61 Black Widow for my first GB  - if you're interested the WIP is HERE

There's also a bit of a WIP for this Wildcat HERE but I got a little distracted towards the end and forgot to post anything! 

I'm mainly happy ish with the weathering. Although think it is still a little too heavy handed! Will try and be more restrained on the next kit. 
Also need to carry on practices with paint chips, I tend to think they look a little to large and over scale...

Feedback and advice always appreciated 😁

o93aV1DznWnodT_rFCFtVfSRqGS2-JB3S5QiqPW1 

l-HNeiMnpMcIYTAJ6UxH8Woxek__vHSlwLttWd3h

2-SIuym0-MY817TnH9H4ZuSWRwZY5qQE1k71secw

PquyW3pedpE9lSPzB3icQROCRWOkzpyI7VdRzUu0

xOkcerKiKF6Lq0JQxAe8b524Tn8xsGpoBuV1fpjX

Aaron

• Like 28

Looks good to me.  I think the gun residue staining and the cowling flaps staining a little heavy but the rest looks good.  Great work, well done..

Edited by Grey Beema

3 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Looks good to me.  I think the gun residue staining and the cowling flaps staining a little heavy but the rest looks good.  Great work, well done..

I would add the control surfaces to that list as well.

Aaron, you did a very nice job on this build. Other than the areas outlined above, I think your weathering doesn’t look over done or out of line with what may have been seen in combat. It’s nice to see a Wildcat done in a different scheme. 

Thanks for sharing!

22 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Very nice work indeed  , love the weathering , looks spot on to me:goodjob:

Cheers Keith! 

22 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I think the gun residue staining and the cowling flaps staining a little heavy but the rest looks good

True, I still need to get to grips with Tamiya smoke paint. I think in future I'll aim to add a thin layer and build up as needed rather than blasting it on! 

19 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

I would add the control surfaces to that list as well.

Agreed! I added a brown oil wash to those areas to try and make them look a little grubby but the wash stained the Klear coat as when I tried to remove it with white spirits it didn't shift much of the brown stain 😑

I'm still finding that using oil paint and artists thinners for washes to be very hit and miss. Suspect it might be due to the Klear coat. 

18 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work!

Thanks! That's a good link. Love the picture of Wildcats on the beach poking out from the palm trees 

12 hours ago, RMCS said:

Superb

Thank you :)

Have to agree with Keith, the weathering looks right.  The underside of the plane becomes filthy quickly and this shows it nicely.  And I like that you used a couple different colors to get the effect.  Overall a great job on the kit!