TAMIYA Quad Gun Tractor, abandoned, found anywhere in 1956, 1/35

Hi guys

I want share to you my recently work. This kit i bought few weeks ago in E-bay for just 11,00 Euros. My intention was to present an old abandoned rusty vehicle, which found anywhere in 1956.

I built it OOB, but i thinned the plastic to show rusty holes, or rotten roof cover, also i cut out some tool box doors and i replaced it into open look with Evergreen sheet.

The base coat i did with Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black, after that i paint it with Tamiya Hull Red in different shades, i also used the Rust&Dust set from LifecoIor,  after im setting the Salt and hairspray i  then  paint it with Tamiya XF-60 mixed with Buff, the i remove mostly with wet brush.

The ground is a mix as old used coffee, leaves, roots what i put in a coffee mill to shredder it.

dscf4514a4kzz.jpg

dscf45157jkkc.jpg

dscf4516jejpj.jpg

dscf4517bqjnu.jpg

dscf4518rdkrr.jpg

dscf45193tkva.jpg

dscf4521d5jvv.jpg

dscf4523rnjv2.jpg

dscf4525n6kbn.jpg

dscf4520rdkmz.jpg

dscf452710kwu.jpg

• Like 55

Very well achieved the desired appearance of abandonment and aging, but I wonder, I do not know if the tires on the Quad were solid, and even then, should not the rubber be "rotten", deflated, or more dirty? ... assuming So it was in reality, it is an easy detail to fix.

Cheera mate 👍

• Like 1

I like this! It just looks 'right'. I've got 50 year old tractor tyres that look no worse than these.

• Like 1

Hello everybody

Thank you so much for your all nice comments, much appreciated.

Yes the tyres made me headbreaking, how can i make it that it looks real, so i apply just a bit slimy grime dark and light, maybe i should put more dust on it, i will see. Thank you mates

Hi Werner,

Stunning work. I think I may have to do the same to my Quad!

A clever trick with the tyres - yes, they could be completely deflated with the flat hidden beneath the leaf litter.  I wouldn't do any more to the tyres other than add some algae, like you did to your windows. Algae like rubber.

Rearguards

Badder

BTW.... Why 1956? Your year of birth, perhaps?

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

hello Badder

Thank you for your kind words, yes i was thinking let him a bit sunk into the ground put some leaf litter and nobody can see the tyres are not flat, to be honest i was in hurry coz i wanted share my model at the Euro Model Expo in Lingen / Germany last weekend.

Have a nice day

Excellent work, the only criticism I could make is that I would have thought the tyres should be flat.  Well that’s what I notice when I see old vehickes abandoned.  I’m assuming the quad had pneumatic tyres of course.

But on the other hand I applaud it being out of the box, and that flat tyres would have been a challenge to far.  It is refreshing to see great builds that don’t involve aftermarket costing 3x the price if the kit.

Cheers,

Nigel 

Edited by nheather
  • Like 1

Well my first thought also was the tyres should be flat but then I got thinking.  The tyres in question are WW2 era runflats, that is they had very thick sidewalls (rather than internal solid donuts).  So even if the air pressure had gone down the tyres at most looked just a little bulged.  The pictures show similar wheels on a rear engined CMP military chassis (later modified into a forest fire appliance) that has been sitting outside for years.  The tyres are still up.

46654323405_800840c657_c.jpgIMG_3148 by tankienz, on Flickr

So very well done with the weathering and I agree the wheels are actually OK😎

• Like 5

Hello dcrfan

Wowww so it means i dont need to rework my tyres? And i am wondering that the Tyres on these machine are still in deep black colour.

Thank you for your kind support mate.

Hey ther Werner,

you did a fantastic work here. I thought they tires might need some attention maybe a bit more tonal difference, more black in the treads and lighter on the outside, like bleeched out rubber that got brittle. They looked too new on first observation. But then I saw the mossy green on it. A fantastic touch. A bit more black on the areas not so much exposed would make it even more convincing. But that is very minor. 

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dcrfan said:

Well my first thought also was the tyres should be flat but then I got thinking.  The tyres in question are WW2 era runflats, that is they had very thick sidewalls (rather than internal solid donuts).  So even if the air pressure had gone down the tyres at most looked just a little bulged.  The pictures show similar wheels on a rear engined CMP military chassis (later modified into a forest fire appliance) that has been sitting outside for years.  The tyres are still up.

46654323405_800840c657_c.jpgIMG_3148 by tankienz, on Flickr

So very well done with the weathering and I agree the wheels are actually OK😎

Thanks for the info - I question whether they were tradition pneumatic - thinking maybe they were solid or some sort of run-flat.

Were they like modern run-flat with stiff walls or those with some sort of gel inside.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nheather said:

Thanks for the info - I question whether they were tradition pneumatic - thinking maybe they were solid or some sort of run-flat.

Were they like modern run-flat with stiff walls or those with some sort of gel inside.

Cheers,

Nigel

They are pneumatic tyres.  The tyre case has very thick therefore stiff sidewalls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Harry.

Good news about the 'run flats'!

As for aging the tyres, it's up to you. Some do seem to last forever and still look fairly good to the naked eye. Personally, I'd go for the state in the photo below, just because it will tie in with the rest of the vehicle AND STOP PEOPLE COMMENTING ON HOW 'NEW' YOURS LOOK. (even though they are old)

xOlY1nY.jpg

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Hi Badder and thank you to everyone who give attention to my model, much appreciated, you make my day

Thank you for the pic of a really old rotten tyre, a nice inspiration, well, i will see what i can do with ,,my,, tyres, i agree they looks still a bit too new

Edited by Harry Callahan