Monogram 1/48 F-80C Shooting Star

Here's my latest build: Monogram's 1/48 Lockheed F-80C Shooting Star. The kit has been rescribed and is covered in kitchen foil. Some markings are from Microscale and some have been created using stencils cut on my Silhouette Portrait.

There's a full and extensive write up here: https://jonbryon.com/monogram-1-48-lockheed-f-80c-shooting-star/

It looks okay from more than a foot away, but very ugly close up. Still, it was an experiment, and one I shall not repeat but was glad to undertake.

Jon

f80c_07.jpg

f80c_19.jpg

f80c_16.jpg

f80c_01.jpg

f80c_26.jpg

f80c_24.jpg

f80c_13.jpg

f80c_11.jpg

f80c_14.jpg

f80c_08.jpg

f80c_27.jpg

f80c_09.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

• Jon Bryon changed the title to Monogram 1/48 F-80C Shooting Star

Well John, the result certainly is spectacular and for all the problems you have noted it doesn't look too bad at all. Maybe a bit too shiny but I have seen some T-33s polished up pretty good. Also, you have to remember that when you get close to a real aircraft, the surface is not perfect either. Jets of this era often had the odd wrinkle and dent here and there. I like it a lot and may give it a go myself at some time in the future. Thank you for the inspiration and the detailed tutorial.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Well John, the result certainly is spectacular and for all the problems you have noted it doesn't look too bad at all. Maybe a bit too shiny but I have seen some T-33s polished up pretty good. 

Thanks. Here are some photos of the real thing:

spirit-of-hobo-2.jpg

spirit-of-hobo.jpg

• Like 6

Hard to see the ugliness as you suggest in some of those close up photographs. I honestly think you've done a great job from this old kit and the finished result sits comfortably with many a new tool kit of today. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Like 1

Beautiful work!  I blew up the photos and didn’t spot any issues.  I’ve not tried this method of doing a NMF so I have even more respect for your efforts. 

• Like 1

Precious little gem....The old Moniogram kit is a favourite of mine, and I really like the final result. I wouldn't dare to do it that way, kitchen foil is terribly fragile and demanding....I tried to do that with a Monogram Sabre some years ago and, well....lots of bad words and curses still echo in the room....

Cheers

• Like 1