Hobby Boss P-38 1/48 Bare Metal Foil

The Hobby Boss P-38 is finally finished. The final step was doing a light weathering of Black on the top surfaces and a mud color on the bottom surfaces. This was a very easy kit to build. Hobby Boss did a great job engineering this kit. There are no gaping seams to deal with and no alignment issues with the two booms.  The radiator pods fit perfectly.

4cp5MQU.jpg?1

M7uE12s.jpg?1

7OIPprd.jpg?1

EpQTT3P.jpg?1

XjxQurl.jpg?1

UJuYYK8.jpg?1

Hobby Boss did a great job on the canopy. It fit so perfectly that I did not need glue. It just snapped into place. Plus the plastic is very clear with no distortion.

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2

That looks pretty good Johnny. You have managed to get a pretty good, subdued metal finish which looks realistic. I have seen a few of the HB P-38 built and that look OK. Perhaps a future mojo restorer!

Cheers

Malcolm

Fantastic result..  Prize winner surely.   My dad did a Fortress back in the 70s and used Kit Kat foil, wish I still had that model...  

I'd love to try using foil, but I don't think I have the necessary skills or patience. 

Not my usual scale but the subject and the foil finish was hard to resist!

I definitely have to go to the WIP and understand how that amazing finish was applied

Congratulations on an excellent 38

Cheers

Bruce

Excellent model, Johnny !

There is no doubt that Hobby Boss did a really good job with their P-38.....it was a real surprise since it is promoted as one of their 'quick build' kits and whilst some parts are relatively simple, in overall terms it builds into a great replica with great fit, as you say. I am part way through a build and hope to shoehorn a Legend resin cockpit detail set (designed for the Hasegawa kit) into the kit since this one area IMHO that could do with a little extra detail (especially through that crystal clear canopy).

You have certainly done the original, and the kit, justice with this stunning masterpiece.

We Done, Sir ! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their very nice comments regarding my P-38. I would have replied earlier except that I have not been able to connect to this site for about 10 days. However, the connection problem has been fixed.