Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk.I fabric wing OOB

Realising that 'perfect' is the enemy of getting something done,  I went for a straight OOB build of the 72nd fabric wing Hurricane,   I have a started one with tweaks,  but I wanted to find out if I could just build the blinkin' thing, and get a reasonable finish.   

Used some new techniques,  parafilm canopy masking, oil washes, and pastel chalks,  the last two which I am very happy with. (beginners luck?) 

Overall I'm happy with the finish, some brush marks visible.

did some shots outside,  the base is a baize covered card table that has seen better days.  Does a reasonable grass imitation!

47536428581_2033b1791d_h.jpg50620690 by losethekibble, on Flickr

47483725752_faa505ee81_h.jpg50620691 by losethekibble, on Flickr

47536425541_e7c040d64d_h.jpg50620692 by losethekibble, on Flickr

47483722972_bccc121069_h.jpg50620693 by losethekibble, on Flickr

these two on a different backgrounds.... read the WIP for the story of that!

40570325573_9cd61b22c6_h.jpg50620688 by losethekibble, on Flickr

47483713092_85f09dc11b_h.jpg50620687 by losethekibble, on Flickr

build thread here

cheers

T

• Like 34

As I said before I really think you've done a great job on it Troy.

BTW aren't pastel chalks the easiest and best for weathering? I have several in black, a couple of grey shades and a couple of different types of brown and with them I can do exhaust and gun staining, and even general muck and mud for aircraft operating from grass aerodromes. I use a couple of old brushes of different widths which I have cut down for the purpose. I used to seal the pastels in with a spray matt coat like Testors Dullcote or Winsor and Newton Matt spray varnish but have found this to be largely unnecessary because you virtually never handle the model where the pastels are and actually after a period of time they seem to bed down into the matt finish.

Also good job just building and thinking "to hell with being 100% accurate". I found a few years back that I just wasn't building models because I was spending so much time obsessing about the tiniest details. I found that I'd either stall on a build because I wasn't sure what was completely accurate or I just wouldn't start one because I didn't have all the information/photos to make sure it was right. A couple of years back I suddenly had an epiphany and thought why the hell am I worrying so much about all these silly little tiny details when to start with I'm not the greatest modeller on God's green earth, and just as importantly this is meant to be a fun, enjoyable pastime and a remedy to the stress of work and everyday life? It was the best thing I have done since I returned to modelling in 2001. I will still try and research and get what I can right but I don't worry anymore about every little thing. Modelling for me is an expression of my love of historic aviation and also a creative outlet - I also love the research part which has been a part of my work.

I've stopped trying for perfection though because for a modeller of my skill set I'll never reach it, and I'm happier now with that. Sites like this can sometimes make you question your own efforts when you see what some of the really talented chaps and lasses are churning out in the RFI section, but it's worth keeping in mind to build for yourself and do the best you can but most of all never forget that this is a pursuit/hobby for happiness. Maybe that's just me but I've been much, much happier and enjoyed my modelling much more since.

Once again a great job on the Hurri Troy and I'm hoping the next one is a North African job as I reckon that would be a good template for some serious fun weathering ;)

Edited by Smithy
Rubbish spelling
  • Like 11

That's a very good looking Hurricane.

Please excuse me if I'm out of order here, but my take on modelling is pretty much the same as yours I think. Building should be a pleasure, not a pain. My take on the subject is covered in this rather self indulgent thread...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Troy. Hope you are well. I am sorry but I missed this when you first posted it. I've mostly been holed up down in the GB section and find I don't check out other sections enough. Good job you posted a link to it in the 'aging paintwork ' thread. What a great result! The first two photos are really atmospheric. Your weathering is spot on and I would like to especially mention the exhaust stain effects. Very nicely done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wulfman said:

I’ve got three in the stash so any problems?

Construction. No, apart from mismatched wing tips.  And the landing gear is fiddly,  as it the wheel well, worth making sure everything is aligned by using the upper wing to set the front spar.

See here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

Accuracy. Yes, a few glitches, which i ignored, as it would never have got done... :rolleyes: 

Really needs new wheels (they are too big, and should be 5 spoke), replacements are available,  and a new lower canopy, which is not, AFAIK the Rob Taurus vac is a copy of the kit AFAIK.

Wing trailing edge is way too thick.

Behind the gun bays needs should be metal, not fabric.   And small picky detail, the control column is more like 1/48 and the seat is too narrow. 

these are easy, the lack of flare on the fuselage to wing is hard to correct, but not that noticeable in 72nd. (but is when scaled up to 48th...which is what happened) and it's  maybe a little to long in the rear fuselage.

I have one 'being corrected'  in a box. Somewhere. 

HTH