Spanish Sabre - ESCI 1/48 'F-86F'

Only seven days to the end of this GB so this is starting to get tight. Have spent today giving the Sabre a sanding along the joins, then spray on a little more grey primer to see what they look like. Now have been adding the undercarriage legs and doors in preparation for an application of silver paint. The undercarriage is very flimsy indeed!

IMGP0506size

Not quite sure what colour to paint the wheel wells. I have looked at several walk-rounds and some seem to be aluminium inside, others olive green. Given how little time is left I am probably going to skimp and go with aluminium. Also, the kit includes very small wing fences but I recall discussion that these were not the norm so am going to leave them off. The kit also has Sidewinders but again I don't think these would have been carried in the late 50's time period this GB covers.

Oh, and one small but embarrassing mistake. I put the drop tanks together and was watching a video at the time and I built them with the fins facing up, not down 😖

Michael

• Like 4

No panic here! How many days to go? 😉

Have got a lot done today. Started by spraying the Sabre with Halfords Aluminium in a rattle can and I am very happy with the result, it has gone on over the Halfords grey primer really well. The wing/fuselage joins have filled well and the light sanding of the fuselage spine has paid off too:

IMGP0510size

IMGP0509size

The next stage is to build the ejection seat ...

IMGP0511size

The instructions were not exactly helpful regards painting!

IMGP0512size

I decided to go with medium grey for the seat sides and back, olive drab for the actual seat, and light grey for the straps.

So ready to go, the seat is built, the black markings are looking good!

Michael

IMGP0516size

• Like 4

I swear I am cursed on these group builds 😖

All was going really well yesterday, decided to be tidy and put everything away, picked up the Sabre, fumbled it, dropped onto my lap. Artie's warning regards the flimsy undercarriage legs came true:

IMGP0517size

The two main undercarriage legs have sheared off just leaving a small pair of stumps. The front undercarriage leg survived however the little pin that the wheel slips onto has broken off.

So what to do? I was hoping to have this finished today. I could reattach everything but the main gear legs will be even weaker. Or I could just put the gear doors on and put her on a stand.

Great!

Michael

• Sad 3

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe white metal replacements  ? 

16 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Drill and pin w/ some rod.

I have taken the coward's way out and ordered some white metal replacements from the Big H. let's put it this way, I got the kit off eBay for £7.49 total (it was a while back) so this has more than doubled the value of the finished article. I can get everything else done - paint the canopy, add the decals, drill out the undercarriage mounts - so just a case of receive them in the post and then finished by the GB deadline next Sunday.

I don't have any rod, have always been OOB, however we have a new model shop in Guildford so will go and buy some, it could be very useful as I get more ambitious in my builds 👍

Michael

• Like 3

I wouldn't call the metal replacements "the cowards way out".  😆  Merely one option of several fixes to get it to the finish line.  Hell some people spend way more than they pay for a kit on AM bits to tack on.  That's the beauty of the hobby now...so many options to be able to build things your way even if you aren't a master scratch builder.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, helios16v said:

I wouldn't call the metal replacements "the cowards way out".  😆  Merely one option of several fixes to get it to the finish line.  Hell some people spend way more than they pay for a kit on AM bits to tack on.  That's the beauty of the hobby now...so many options to be able to build things your way even if you aren't a master scratch builder.

Helios16v I think your wording "Merely one option of several fixes to get it to the finish line" is much better and, for me, it is probably the metal replacements is the easiest fix given the time I have available and the skills that I currently have. I love the AM bits that are now available and this is a whole new modelling world to play with 😊

Michael

Saved by the Big H 😊😊👍

IMGP0518size

IMGP0519size

Have not worked with metal parts before, though I am used to etch. So, my plan is to apply a primer then top coat of aluminium paint. Then attach to the kit using Cyanoacrylate glue. Is that a sound plan?

Michael

• Like 1

Sadly, not just in time. I visited the Lancing Model Show yesterday and decided to sit out in the sun in the garden this afternoon with a beer or two so I have run out of time. Yes, self inflicted 'tis true 😯

However, I am not disheartened. The Ejército del Aire F-86F Sabre is close to completion. Today I worked on the replacement undercarriage metal parts and have cleaned and primed them. I also started applying the major decals and she is definitely looking good.

IMGP0521size

I hope to have her finished by the end of this week then I can get started in the Lockheed GB as well as completing my 1/48th Kitty Hawk RF-101C Voodoo.

Many thanks to Col and Enzo Matrix for doing what they do to keep this GB on track. I am also grateful to exdraken and Artie for their expert input, thanks both 👍

Michael

• Like 6

It is indeed looking good Michael :speak_cool: Can't blame you for taking a chance to sit in the sun and relax a while and I'll look out for you finishing this one soon :) 

• Like 1