A Tale of 2 Spitfires: the Bride meets the Son...

I have decided to join the two WiP builds of the Israeli Spitfires I have going on.  At this point it is just easier to photograph them both together and make a single post.  I shpuld have done that from the start.

Here is the Eduard thread, White 26 from 1948-49...

And here is the KoPro thread, Black 89 from the mid-1950s...

May they now be as one!  🤩

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A lot has happened with this thread but it is a lot of little things...sorting out what pieces I still have to use and putting away superfluous sprue (Eduard)...priig ad painting small parts (E=exhausts, spinners, yellow propeller tips...) and getting ready to mask the canopy pieces, attacher them and prime the aircraft.  As you can see I have attached the guns and the radio antennae.  So it's small things now...painting the wheels, landing gear...

33730998938_bb9f318216_b_d.jpg

On another note...off-topic, as it were...I am extremely excited about the new Eduard Fokker DVII in 1/72nd scale.  Especially the MAG.  From what I hear they will be releasing a Royal Class box, weekend editions, two different MAG kits, etc...this is going to be a fun winter for me.  I have already preordered a couple of the OAW kits coming out in May but I seem to be having an issue ordering the Limited Edition MAG kit from Eduard.  I have asked my local hobby store to order it for me.  Finally...a Fokker kit that will assemble properly and be accurate!  

--John

• Like 1

Canopies masked and attached, ready for the primer...

33742947808_0bd015f2ae_z_d.jpg

And primed!  Note that I have painted and assembled both props.  The little tins represent all that is left of the plastic parts to be assembled.  This would be the landing gear, pitot tubes, exhausts...etc...not much.  I'll get into the painting tonight and tomorrow...

47567356642_2109e72703_b_d.jpg

--John

• Like 1

I masked the undersides and am now ready for the first layer of topcoat--Sea Grey for one and a dark sand the for the other.

46917568964_7f11795536_z_d.jpg

The Vallejo Sea Grey went on beautifully.  The Sand ws fine, but it turned out to be too light, so I cleaned it off and tried my hand, once again, at the suggested Hatatka Medium Brown.  I had used it on the Vultee and I had issues with airbrushing, but why not try it again...terrible.  Spat, splattered, too thin, too thick...I have work to do with thaws Hataka paints before I am fluent with them.  In any case, I cleaned it off, again, back to the primer, and used Vallejo Air Golden Brown instead.  I am pleased with the tone.  Phew!  I have decided to use the Vallejo Air Grey-Blue RAL 5008 (same as the Hataka) so I hope to lose less hair with this option!

32699191337_eb1a3bc1bb_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

I apologize for the gap in updating.  I was off-island for a few days.  Anyway, I am back!  I have decided to finish the Spitfires before delving into the Yak-23 for the NATO/WarPac GB, and this is what I have done so far!  I spent about three hours this afternoon on decals...mostly stencils...so they are all done.  I gave Black 89 a satin varnish while the decals dried on White 26.  After an hours or so I gave 89 some FloryWash (very lightly) and varnished 26.  I'll FloryWash 26 before the night is through and clean up Black 89.  One thing I like about Florywash is that because it is actually clay, there is a very fine grit to the stuff so when you wipe it off it can leave a very fine patina.  This, I feel, allows for a certain amount of 'scale metal shine'.  Just my 2 cents...

40748911083_9888bc8b9c_b_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done duo

Thanks!  It's getting there.  I'll try to finish one of them this morning and the other after I go to an Easter cookout at a friend's house.

• Like 1

Aha!  Fooled you all...I finished them both this morning and had plenty of time to go to the Easter grill...It's Greece...Easter is this weekend.  First off, how about some lamb?  Salt and pepper, ready for the grill...

33845229808_2c42808e71_h_d.jpg

And the two Spitfires, on the Spitfire shelf...front row, second and third from the left...

47720744651_920311eb12_h_d.jpg

And a nice clean bench...a new kit...

32777638637_dd2b67e3ee_h_d.jpg

The rest of the Spitfire images are in an RFI thread...Thanks for all the support folks!

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 3