Great British, and beyond, Railway GB - move your vote to another deserving GB

Paul821

In his comment about my recent Dapol Rocket build  @stevej60 said ",it would never get through in a million year's but it would be nice to have a static railway GB taking in all aspect's of railway modelling locos, rolling stock, building's etc,"

Well nothing ventured nothing gained - so I offer this up as a suggestion and see what comes up. We have until the year 1,002,019  to prove @stevej60 wrong in his prediction.#

Good to see @stevej60 join us as you will see from the above it was his challenge that started this thread. We need one more to get this into the Bunfight. Why not be that one?

Thanks to @bianfuxia and @Bobby No Mac, who have both offered nit GB rail related entries, this proposal has now met the target to get into the bunfight for 2022 - only 27 other contenders for slots! The question is do I book a world cruise for next year or not?

UPDATED - 15/4/2021

Potential Members:

1 @Paul821 

2 @Rick Brown 

3 @Ray S

4 @desert falcon

5 @Bonhoff

6 @Tim R-T-C

7 @Brad

8 @John Masters

9 @FortyEighter

10 @Corsairfoxfouruncle

11 @robvulcan

12 @Robert Stuart

13 @MarkSH

14 @gregg136

15 @vppelt68

16 @Ozzy

17 @Mjwomack

18 @helios16v

19 @Harry Lime

20 @Hockeyboy76

21 @nimrod54

22 @psdavidson

23 @2996 Victor

24  @Marklo

25  @fightersweep

26 @Swamp Donkey

27 @theplasticsurgeon

28 @bootneck

29 @stevej60

30 @bianfuxia

31 @Bobby No Mac

32 @TonyW

33 @airfixpeter

34 @Beggsy

My original thoughts were that we would keep this GB to "anything that "ran on rails" - which could even include rail launched items such as the V1. To encourage more people to sign up - I will add vehicles (including lorries, buses, ships and aircraft) owned by railway companies and buildings directly linked to operating railways. The title has been amended to reflect this.

In addition structures that don't meet that above criteria but were marketed as accessories for model railways will be allowed as long as they are to a recognised railway scale. Therefore the Airfix/Dapol building kits are allowed as are the Model land series sold by Triang.

Please keep signing up

• Like 7

I would be very much up for this. Modelling a railway scene should be encouraged as you can do small dioramas that can include more than the loco and train. There is track type to be considered lineside structures and gear. Buildings animals people scenery etc etc . Lighting even. I’m always making dioramas for a Railways so I’d love to see this. Any excuse to get to work with plaster of Paris and plaster cloth :) 

• Like 3

Mmm - this is possible.  The framing of the build will need a little thought, but ...

There are options for AFV builders.

Somewhere in these forums (the completed group builds, I think?) you'll find a diorama with a Tiger tank on a rail wagon.

As to models, there are several armoured train models in both 1/72 and 1/35 scale.  Most are suited to the Russian front, but some will suit Central and Western Europe too.

Of course, there are more peaceable rail related activities....

• Like 2

Trains at Britmodeller :yahoo:

Dear sirs, if we'd ever get a train and railway related GB to happen, please do not restrict it too much. I have (at least) four cheapish model modern electric locomotives, running ones, that are way past the 25% mark finished, but would benefit from adding some missing details and painting. I'd be more than happy to get to build them here, if possible. V-P

2019-04-07_10-43-46

• Like 3

On 06/04/2019 at 14:46, Robert Stuart said:

Somewhere in these forums (the completed group builds, I think?) you'll find a diorama with a Tiger tank on a rail wagon.

That's @Ozzys brilliant Grossdeutschland diorama here. Plenty more than just a Tiger and a flatcar 👍.

• Thanks 2

Now we are seven, I will suggest some possible criteria for the GB.

We need it to have a BM focus and not replicate things that can be found on Railway Forum. For example RMweb are currently running their "Cake Box" challenge which is building a diorama within the dimensions of a cake box. Also this GB will be a static build. Although models constructed as part of the build may end up on working layout that should not be the aim.

The 25% rule should apply. Customising read-to-run-stock belongs elsewhere.

As to what could be included, this list is not definitive and is offered for discussion:

Anything that runs on conventional railways, along with loads, Engines wagons etc

Any building that relates to railway operations

Any building kit sold by a main stream model railway company. This would include Traings Modelland kits, the ex Airfix models now sold by Dapol etc

Slightly off beat possibilities:

Other "things that run on rails?" Such as the V1.

Aircraft that had a train busting role.

Also remember that plastic is not the only modelling medium. There are many card kits out there, as well as brass, resin and old fashioned white-metal.

• Like 3

I'm in, and glad to know I'm not the only person eager for the day they can walk into the LHS and say, 'I'd like a Big Boy or two please'🤭

Pause before adding, 'and do you have any old slag...wagons'🙄

• Haha 3

This could be fun.  I've been contemplating about trying to tie an aircraft build into a railroad diorama setting...might give me the motivation to attempt it if I have the time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Please add me to the list for this one Paul. I did a small N Gauge scene for the Vignette GB a few years ago, it was a tight squeeze working within the limits for the group build but I packed quite a bit in. It would be good to try putting another small scene together.

33847450958_b5bc895021_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46808131515_173eed4b35_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

47671603522_aaa73e266a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

32781196127_8769c36884_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I have a feeling that this proposed GB will again attract a smallish number of supporters but I will bump it for 2021

• Like 1

Count me in. 

I have a large stash of IOM etched/resin/white metal kits to start/finish.

I've also been know to do a WIP of a card house in the past....

Rick.

Hmm, yes this sounds a great idea!

I have an Airfix loco (Biggin Hill) in my stash, and would like to build it to a bit more than 'OOB'. Where to start with colours, replacement lining transfers, accessories etc?

The only one I have built so far (three times in fact!) was the Evening Star, but would certainly like to know how to improve the basic models.

All the best, and thanks for reviving this GB possibility. I think I missed it originally!

Cheers, Ray

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 7:32 PM, nimrod54 said:

Please add me to the list for this one Paul. I did a small N Gauge scene for the Vignette GB a few years ago, it was a tight squeeze working within the limits for the group build but I packed quite a bit in. It would be good to try putting another small scene together.

33847450958_b5bc895021_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

46808131515_173eed4b35_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

47671603522_aaa73e266a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

32781196127_8769c36884_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Excellent work - looking at the buildings I thought it was 00 Gauge but the valve gear on the Ivatt tank gives the scale away!

Having been a Railway Modeller for many years before returning to aircraft, this idea for a GB has me interested........perhaps a few Banana vans waiting in a yard to be marshalled??

Mike

• Like 1