Great British, and beyond, Railway GB - move your vote to another deserving GB

Paul821

On 03/07/2020 at 08:51, Ray S said:

Hmm, yes this sounds a great idea!

I have an Airfix loco (Biggin Hill) in my stash, and would like to build it to a bit more than 'OOB'. Where to start with colours, replacement lining transfers, accessories etc?

The only one I have built so far (three times in fact!) was the Evening Star, but would certainly like to know how to improve the basic models.

All the best, and thanks for reviving this GB possibility. I think I missed it originally!

Cheers, Ray

Ray, here is a model of Dapol's (ex Kitmaster) Evening Star that I did some basic changes to a few years ago. I replaced the handrails with Alan Gibson brass parts (ebay), the paint I used was from Phoenix Precision, the nameplates etc are by Model Master and the lining details were from Fox Transfers. I also removed the moulded load in the tender, boxed things in with plastic card then and added some scale coal. The crew are 3D printed by a company called Modelu. I also added door darts to the smoke box door, updated the buffer plates with white metal buffers, vac pipes and etch couplings - unfortunately that company is no longer in business, but I think that the etch couplings are still available, and I scratch built a few other details to complete the job. 

It all depends on how far you want to take it in the end, I just wanted a better looking static model.

36519207884_873fd1ac3a_z.jpg

36519208914_0db1d80a79_z.jpg

37210971432_e2009bdb84_z.jpg

I have supplied links to most of the companies I used and a link to the build. HTH

• Like 7

Oh wow! @nimrod54, that is just the info I needed.

If I remember rightly, you have done a few of these loco models, that was what inspired me to get the one I have. Thanks very much for the details, they are duly noted!

All the best,

Ray

PS, Looking even more forward to getting enough to make this into a GB especially with the added folks who have said yes too!

On 7/1/2020 at 7:32 PM, Jabba said:

Would Trams be allowed?

Most certainly

Post 1 now updated with list of potential members and slight change to criteria

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

Mmmmmm.....

y4miGRilB5ON1B_5RS7Lci-hJM-dUNcE-7NIgYQb

Rick.

I would love to see one of these

https://shop.rheidolrailway.co.uk/collections/card-kits/products/alphagraphix-isle-of-man-loch-engine-7mm-o-gauge-1-43-card-kit

included in the GB - the Alphagraphix range of kits is one indication of the kits and modelling media available for this GB..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

I would love to see one of these

https://shop.rheidolrailway.co.uk/collections/card-kits/products/alphagraphix-isle-of-man-loch-engine-7mm-o-gauge-1-43-card-kit

included in the GB - the Alphagraphix range of kits is one indication of the kits and modelling media available for this GB..

My father built one of those years ago. Hutchinson in blue with square cab (not overly popular at the time, but I liked it..).

It came out quite well.

I have a load of IoM Railways kits of various description. 

I don't have an interest in railways as such, but I do have a soft spot for the IoM (spent way too much time over there!).

The thing about the IoM railways is everything has to be either scratch built or one of the few kits that exist.

I think that's what draws me to it!

My build probably won't be a loco, as mine are more than 20% built, but I will throw in some wagons.

Not sure I'll have the time for etched brass coaches these days.

Rick.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:32 AM, Paul821 said:

whether these can be brought forward or have to sign up again.

Just in case, consider this me signing up again!

Mark.

5 hours ago, Ray S said:

Oh wow! @nimrod54, that is just the info I needed.

If I remember rightly, you have done a few of these loco models, that was what inspired me to get the one I have. Thanks very much for the details, they are duly noted!

All the best,

Ray

PS, Looking even more forward to getting enough to make this into a GB especially with the added folks who have said yes too!

I have indeed Ray, this model of City of Truro was my first upgrade attempt and received similar treatment to Evening Star.

DSC00690_zpsbehtceqn.jpg

And I did this Deltic Prototype at the same time as Evening Star, which wasn't quite as complex as the other two.

39890401141_ffb31c242f_z.jpg

39179892024_7752db8ea6_z.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/9/2019 at 10:22 AM, helios16v said:

This could be fun.  I've been contemplating about trying to tie an aircraft build into a railroad diorama setting...might give me the motivation to attempt it if I have the time.

Ive always wanted to do this as a diorama ? AXjXqoz.jpg

Perfect way to combine aircraft and rail in one. 

• Like 8

I like the idea and will pop in to see what's going on from time to time, but I'm too busy to join in with the building.

I do however have some ancient Airfix Railway models which I will sort out for sale if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, Ray S said:

Hmm, yes this sounds a great idea!

I have an Airfix loco (Biggin Hill) in my stash, and would like to build it to a bit more than 'OOB'. Where to start with colours, replacement lining transfers, accessories etc?

The only one I have built so far (three times in fact!) was the Evening Star, but would certainly like to know how to improve the basic models.

All the best, and thanks for reviving this GB possibility. I think I missed it originally!

Cheers, Ray

Hi Ray

If this GB gets the go ahead then feel free to PM me re this kit.  Bulleid pacifics are a bit of a minefield re cab widths and tender types but having been a member of RMWeb for many years I can certainly help with possible choice of loco from the kit and have almost certainly got various spare detailing parts, decals and possibly etched nameplates.

Mike

11 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi Ray

If this GB gets the go ahead then feel free to PM me re this kit.  Bulleid pacifics are a bit of a minefield re cab widths and tender types but having been a member of RMWeb for many years I can certainly help with possible choice of loco from the kit and have almost certainly got various spare detailing parts, decals and possibly etched nameplates.

Mike

@FortyEighter, thanks for that, I will remember. Railways are not a strong point of mine (to say the least) but I am always up for a challenge...

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...