Great British, and beyond, Railway GB - move your vote to another deserving GB

Paul821

On 7/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, Ray S said:

Hmm, yes this sounds a great idea!

I have an Airfix loco (Biggin Hill) in my stash, and would like to build it to a bit more than 'OOB'. Where to start with colours, replacement lining transfers, accessories etc?

The only one I have built so far (three times in fact!) was the Evening Star, but would certainly like to know how to improve the basic models.

All the best, and thanks for reviving this GB possibility. I think I missed it originally!

Cheers, Ray

This Dapol Battle of Britain, completed as 501 Squadron, is my only railway model,

no aftermarket.  Masking for pinstripes - gelpen modified namebadge.

501-Squadron1.jpg

To which I'd like to add Evening Star. 

Edited 02 Dec 2020,  I'm in a tier2 area, so local model shop resumed trading today.

Dapol-Rocket.jpg

Count me in.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who supported the proposed GB.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:32 AM, Paul821 said:

As the unarmed GB is now in the calendar for 2021, and railway items will be allowed in that GB, let's all get some great examples of this genre into that build and drop this proposal.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this the opportunity to buy one of those huge 1/72 railway guns I used to always want when I went into "Beatties" as a nipper but could never afford. 

Are they still find-able for a sensible price, I wonder  ?

Strange thing is I'd forgotten all about that till I started reading the posts for this GB !

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

I was thinking about attempting a 3D print for another GB

spacer.png

But perhaps I could do it here?

spacer.png

I like to build diorama settings and static locomotives would be ideal for them.  I'm wondering if I could get enough detail together to show a train entering New Street Station from the tunnels under Brum?

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I like to build diorama settings and static locomotives would be ideal for them.  I'm wondering if I could get enough detail together to show a train entering New Street Station from the tunnels under Brum?

That would be ambitious and something to see. For those that don't know New Street Station was a totally different station to that shown in the photo.

As to this the GB - I am not encouraging people to put their railway items in the "Unarmed GB" later this year. After that we could looking at seeing if a dedicated GM for railways might make the Bunfight for 2022.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul821 said:

For those that don't know New Street Station was a totally different station to that shown in the photo.

I'm not sure that I understand that comment as it is a view of New Street Station in the 1960's. 

Here is a similar view in the 1950's, showing Queen's Drive (which went from the junc. under the Chetwyn sign in the first photo) down between the platforms.

spacer.png

and similar view as it is today. The Chetwyns building stood where the red/brown building now stands.

spacer.png

Another current view, from the opposite side of the junction.  The Chetwyns building stood where the red/brown building is on the right.

spacer.png

Mike

Edited by bootneck
Amended Station Street to Queen's Drive
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

I'm not sure that I understand that comment

Sorry - poorly worded. What it was mean to convey was the New Street was totally rebuilt starting with the demolition of the old station and Queens Hotel in 1964 and the reopening, as an electrified station in 1966/7. Your original picture was post 1965. The pictures you have posed show some of the changes.

I'd be up for this. Despite my usual obsession with wingy things, there's a frustrated railway modeller inside that would probably be forefront if I had the space and cash. I've got a Ratio signal box I want to build in a little diorama based on the box I practically grew up in. My Dad was a signalman, and I used to spend the weekends with him at the boxes at Purfleet and Upminster. I'm also thinking about picking up a resin set of R49/CO/CP stock as I have a thing for those old flare sided LT trains. Used to love travelling on them and fancy building a static set. What with a few Airfix railway related kits in the stash, I would certainly have something I could enter a GB with.

Steve

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

I would love to do something like this, but would not know where to start!!!

NCL

SD

Buy a big house!

But seriously there are loads of instructionals online and in books for making realistic track and lineside detail. Loads of trackwork is available ready made that you could use to exactly recreate the various switches and crossovers outside Newcastle, although at great expense - or some people make their own, less cost but a lot more time and effort!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Paul821 changed the title to Possible railway themed GB? Now at 23 - getting there
19 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Buy a big house!

But seriously there are loads of instructionals online and in books for making realistic track and lineside detail. Loads of trackwork is available ready made that you could use to exactly recreate the various switches and crossovers outside Newcastle, although at great expense - or some people make their own, less cost but a lot more time and effort!

Okay, will speak to Mrs SD about a bigger house! I guess part of this could be manageable in N gauge. I’ve probably got some books from my dark and distant past

SD

11 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Okay, will speak to Mrs SD about a bigger house! I guess part of this could be manageable in N gauge. I’ve probably got some books from my dark and distant past

SD

Sounds like a fun challenge, I'll pass on any trackwork that complex!

For good reference, look into Copenhagen Fields, a 2mm finescale (1/152 trackwork all scratchbuilt) layout covering a vast area outside Kings Cross in the 1930s - superb track and detail.

spacer.png

I had completely forgotten this GB but this weekend I started a mini railway vignette using O gauge (1/43) figures and a Peco hut. Track work will be just a small offcut of track, cut to fit in a 8x6 picture frame.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

I have an abandoned N gauge layout somewhere. Will see if I can find it

SD

Thats quite a thing to mislay - maybe your house is already big enough!

Out of curiosity I measured the Newcastle junction - from the end of the platforms to the castle is about 300m, so roughly 2 metres on an N gauge model - so not completely impractical...

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I would love to add a Leopold or a Moser Karl to the collection so count me  as a tentative in ( assuming I can track down a kit at a reasonable price, or possibly a set of scale plans)

I had the same idea, can we set up a self help group for when our other halves find out ! :worry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2