Messerschmitt Me 262A-2a - 1:72 Hasegawa

Here is one of a pair of Me 262As I built back in 2001.

It's Hasegawa's 1:72 Messerschmitt Me 262A-2a built as Red 5, of KG51 “Edelweiss”, Luftwaffe, Germany, in late 1944/early 1945.

It was painted with airbrush.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome

Miguel

dW1PS0QL5uBE34VansO5_GUVrVadZXzGkANm5Udn

h_-DhjQb5KyK2qgHZ0-AGeshpK0c25i2gXWo7Poh

X85Oa17zH5Qx8LBGd7Sp5LyHUoeKPitHLPf21OKM

xMkYQ7vTULSa_rVLBZHgtrUGVNrTF2CX3UAcVyYz

TCaYI8hvlWcYoGU4sl1Rhs2GC9DuFtQPCA6lr0rF

U927KSkV4IiPJphxxan7O3SMfbPuCHslfRRIGuMV

• Like 24

On 06/04/2019 at 09:19, BadKarma75 said:

Very nice work there Miguel

Matt

Thanks a lot Matt!

On 06/04/2019 at 09:32, Greg Law said:

Good model Miguel. The only issue I have is I have recently come to understand that kg 51's bombers used letters not numbers.

Many thanks Greg. Now you mention it, you may have a point. I did some quick checking but haven't come up with anything... yet. Hasegawa may have made some mix up since the decals were straight from the kit.

Miguel

To be fair to Miguel, 18 years is a long time in the world of Luftwaffe research & even if Hasegawa was as correct as possible back then, it is entirely possible subsequent info has rendered their markings incorrect, nevertheless, its a lovely build the way I like them, nice and neat.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Miguel I did have a look for this plane. It may in fact have existed. It would have been an unusual marking for the kg 51. Might have been transferred from a fighter group. There were a lot of odd things happening at that time of the war for the Germans. I have the second book in the Me 262 book series on the way. I should be able to add to this from that as it covers more of Kg 51 than the one I have.

I agree with you Steve. It is a very good build. I'm just very much into these jets at the moment. I'm in the research stage so I might be being a bit picky.

I do get a bit carried away at this stage sometimes.

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

To be fair to Miguel, 18 years is a long time in the world of Luftwaffe research & even if Hasegawa was as correct as possible back then, it is entirely possible subsequent info has rendered their markings incorrect, nevertheless, its a lovely build the way I like them, nice and neat.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Miguel I did have a look for this plane. It may in fact have existed. It would have been an unusual marking for the kg 51. Might have been transferred from a fighter group. There were a lot of odd things happening at that time of the war for the Germans. I have the second book in the Me 262 book series on the way. I should be able to add to this from that as it covers more of Kg 51 than the one I have.

I agree with you Steve. It is a very good build. I'm just very much into these jets at the moment. I'm in the research stage so I might be being a bit picky.

I do get a bit carried away at this stage sometimes.

Thank you very much Steve and Greg.

I actually had the kit in my stash for nearly 10 years before building it so it goes back way before. And as I'm sure you both know before there were often fictitious markings on some Luftwaffe types. I rememeber building the old Revell Me 262 with JG54's green heart on it - a unit that never used the Me 262! Hasegawa are not known for that kind of foul-up but there have been some mistakes in their options in some early kits in general.

Considering the relatively short service life of the Me 262 (just under a year), and adding to it the chaotic situation by 1945, there is a large variety of markings and schemes, with aircraft moving from one unit to another and units disbanding and being absorbed by others, and bomber units switching to the fighter role. I have many kits in my stash in both 1:72 and 1:144 as this is one of my favourite aircraft and I have the intention of covering all of the Luftwaffe units that flew this type and some cases are curious (an ISS1 machine that went to serve with JV44 or a KG(J)6 machine with incomplete ISS2 markings for example!). So far I only have 4 units covered (EJG2, JG7, KG51 and JV44). I bought the recently released Airfix kit just because it came with markings for KG54! Anyhow, it's a really tricky subject and, Greg, I'm would really like to know if you manage to confirm that Hasegawa got it right.

Miguel

Miguel

My book arrive today. There is no reference to this plane. However, there is an image on Google of the real plane. This is very unusual for KG 51. It could be an Ex Jg7 plane. 

The real number system is a four letter code. It will have a numeral in it. Normally only the aircraft letter is large the others are small and black. There are earlier examples

of the whole code being large. I shall keep looking.

If anyone else can shed some light on this it would help. This is just for fun.  

• Thanks 1