Takom Jagdpanther G1

Started another new one today. One can never have too many Jagdpanthers, they are like King Tigers.

This kit has the full interior but quite a bit simpler than that Rye Field extravaganza Jagdpanther G2 and more fun to work on.  The RF kit is

a detail masterpiece but sometimes that's just a bit much so a simpler kit is a good break. The gun on this one is adequate,

not ridiculous like the one on the RF, after all most will be hidden.

BdH6x07.jpgS84R5SZ.jpgQ7sFieC.jpgrtQqlCA.jpgeePB2dK.jpg

• Like 9

Here is a comparison between the Rye Field G2 and the Takom G1 Jagdpanthers.  Both lower hulls taped together and the

Takom has a lot of parts just dry fitted as it all comes apart for paint.

The Rye Field is a bit simplified regarding the cooling hoses for the brakes and transmission but more that makes

up for it by the photo etch stringers and cross braces on the floor. Those are a major PITA and don't contribute much

as The Takom parts are plenty thin enough and even more detailed, certainly easier to work with too.

There are more extra small and fine PE pieces to add to each side  inside of the Rye Field hull but they aren't in place yet. Overall

it will be quite busy inside.

The springs or buffers on the outside of the Rye hull are much more detailed with some of them

made up of 4 or more parts, coil springs and mounts. The Takom are either molded in place or really simple, eg. the rubbing bars

at the rear are separate on the Rye hull but molded on the Takom.

Rye gives you 16 little exquisite covers for the outer ends of the torsion bars where they come through the hull between the axles.

They look great and the Takom covers are just simple moldings not too detailed. Too bad this will be hidden behind the wheels but it's

another example of Rye Field being a little anal.

Here are the pics, not great but they show some differences. Takom is grey of course.

bfOshcc.jpgVEVawgF.jpgw3Os02A.jpgXvXJsnF.jpg0gKk74M.jpg2Cihqcn.jpgqeeZP1u.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Mirrorman

Thanks Jack

Get started on that Jagdpanther, Takom or Rye Field??

Thanks Mick

Thanks Bozo

Yes interesting how different companies approach the same thing. The Rye Field Panther G cutaway model has

the exact same lower hull as their Jagdpanther G2 so all of the photoetch but the goofy cooling pipes too. I haven't gotten

very far with the Rye Field kit other than the main gun as the Takom is just more fun to work on. Sometimes too much detail

is just too damned much and sometimes it's in the dumbest places where it's not needed or can't be seen. I suppose it keeps

the part count up though and that's critical (yah, right!!)

Take care all,

Lloyd

• 1 month later...

Finally got back to this one while waiting on an order of pigments for the second 1/16 Panther G.

Got some basic interior colors down and have to start on painting up the shells before I can go much further.

Takom has some interlocking tabs on the rear plate and the front of the hull that will get cut off as it's a real bear

to try installing those parts into the sides now it's assembled. The tabs fit into the armour joints

so I'll cut them off and glue them into the holes so it will still look like the welded joints in the side plates. In one of the pics you can see the holes on each side at the front

that those tabs fit into when mounting the upper hull. That way removing the upper hull assembly will be lots easier.

Otherwise this is a nice kit, simpler than the Rye Field Jagdpanther G2 but still lots of detail, more than adequate and

fits have been good except for those annoying tabs.

Sure is lots smaller than the two 1/16 Panther Gs I've been working on lately, tough on the old eyes and shaky hands.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 5

Great build to follow.........helping me to narrow down my choice in a full interior Panther.....as everyone has done the main Panther and Jagd'.....it looks like either the Takom or Meng Bergepanther for me for my 2020 main project......

Really nice build B'max....enjoying it and picking up a lot of tips ......:yes:

Thanks Hamden

Thanks Noeyedears

Thanks Mick

Thanks Redcoat

This has been a good build so far.  I had to add some Evergreen strip to the rear deck behind the last set of

air inlet grilles as for some reason Takom left a gap between the grille and the rear plate. That's fixed and once the screen goes

on over the grille it should look fine. Other than that everything pretty much fits where it should and looks good.

The way Takom has you install those shells in the racks is not a lot off fun. Best bet is to leave the rear bulkhead off,

glue the front shell racks in place, insert the painted shells one by one then continue with the rear shell racks and finally the

rear bulkhead again. I know because I got very tired chasing dropped shells trying to to it as Takom suggested. Tough to hold

2 pieces of the rack, insert 15 shells, make sure the spacing on the rack uprights is correct so they fit the mounting holes on the sponson

and try to glue it all in place without dropping anything. Much easier to mount the racks first if you have 4 thumbs like someone

I know. Good news is there are only 46 shells instead of the 82 or so in the Trumpy 1/16 Panthers, but they are lots smaller in 1/35.

Started playing with some different track work. Instead of starting with black I used a brownish-reddish mix then applied some

ground up dirt in spots and pigments in others. Not sure which I like best but the fine powdered dirt is cheap and plentiful. The

pigments stick much better as the dirt wants to fall off when dry though.

Take care all,

Lloyd

• Like 2

Hamden

That interior is pretty stark at the moment and hopefully will look better with some

wear and tear. More lived in and not well cared for. I like the contrast between the brass cased shells and

the shells with the anodized steel cases, something different.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the build and comparisons with the Rye-Field kit.

What actually got me in getting the Rye Field Panther/Jagdpanther kits was Takom making the boxed gun rounds as one piece molded on box top way in the King Tiger or Panther (?) kit which felt rather simplified, plus more PE details and decals for the interior.

But, I have to admit I was surprised seeing all the PE framing required for the floor in the Rye-Field kit which seems like a complete overkill (providing a plastic alternative would have been nice), especially given that it all ends up covered by floor panels anyway. So, I'll probably sell mine and get a Takom one instead. It will already be a killer to paint and assemble all that, life's too short. Besides, in the Takom JagdPanther kit, all the rounds are separate anyway (so, e.g. you can model it without having a full ammo complement).

The floor cooling hoses also look disappointingly lame being simply molded on in what should be the higher detailed kit. That was the final nail in the coffin, I guess.

Edited by Dudikoff

Now look what you've done!  The wife is going to kill me when I try and sneak one if these into the house......!

I hate Britmodeller sometimes - there is too much good stuff here!  It's got to stop!!

Thanks John

Actually I have a third Trumpeter 1/16 Panzer IV, a Hobby Boss Canadian C2 MEXAS, an Academy M51 Isherman and an Airfix

1/24 scale Hawker Typhoon on the go besides these four. Took a break for a couple of months and have to make up for it.

Lloyd

• Like 1