A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

38 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Fantastic! You should get the kit and then recreate this photo present day for the final reveal in the gallery 👍😀

I hope you don't expect us all to do this, what a frightening set of pictures that would be!

Maybe we would have to have the GB finish on Halloween :) .

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

I would be in for this.  Certainly Matchbox, they were everywhere in Colchester.

Cool, welcome aboard. It may not happen as yet but hopefully fingers crossed it gets enough votes in the bunfight then we’re rocking. The link is here if you havent voted already- 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I hope you don't expect us all to do this, what a frightening set of pictures that would be!

Maybe we would have to have the GB finish on Halloween :) .

Haha 😆

Maybe there’s two polls at the end of the build.

The best build and the scariest photo 🤣

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Great minds think and so on... I guess there won't be room for two of Airfix Miss Lace, or is there? It was an iconic kit and hands up anyone who didn't build one back then - or more 🙂

29 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Most definitely YES.

I think this needs @Ol' Scrapiron to be called to participate too. Just think Steve... 447th BG B-17:s with all those yellow tails and green stripes, I'm pretty sure you built more than one of them as a kid 🙂

V-P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Oh I just remembered this pic... If I can get hold of one of these kits, how could I ever find a better subject for "A kit you build as a kid GB" than one I have this solid documentation of building at my 9th birthday, yes in one single day, in 1977!? May I represent, V-P and the notorious Revell Consolisated (!) B-24D Liberator in one true 1:72 scale. Aw, just look at that smile on my face!

Me and Lib

I seem to remember a shot of me as a kid with a silver dc-3, my dad built it and after he painted it, little me decided it needed playing with (irrespective of the paint being wet). He wasn’t too thrilled about that. Gotta dig that out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dansk said:

spacer.pngA shameless attempt to bump the thread i know :wicked: but i might change my build plan to this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/2136567012 from a christmas past (if i can find it MUCH cheaper)

I built that as a kid probably my 3rd or 4th model ever built, thanks for the Memories.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I built that as a kid probably my 3rd or 4th model ever built, thanks for the Memories.

I remember getting it one christmas.

My dad got a fair way through building it - spending hours on the cargo bay, then he fit the bay doors open to display his wares.

After i started crying (as i wanted the doors shut), he relented and covered up all the work he spent eons on.

The waterworks works apparently. 

My memory says this is an utterly amazing kit with fantastic details and huge huge size.

I’m pretty certain reality will paint an alternate picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

We should both remake it. It would be so cool to revisit it.

its just the prices are crazy and the decals will be toast.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dansk said:

We should both remake it. It would be so cool to revisit it.

its just the prices are crazy and the decals will be toast.

Yes but i haven't seen one this side of the pond since 80 or 81. Im going to keep an eye open and if i find one that might just be a second build. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Avereda said:

I’m thinking this one which sat, part-built mocking me on my window sill for much of my youth.

49044114836_0413bb0b9a_b.jpg

Haha cool, would be ace to complete your actual kit from back then. The longest kit build in history.

a bike would be great in the mix!

Although I never built this below as a kid, so its not elligible, I always wished for it back then.

Probably completely impossible to get hold of now. Thought I’d share it because I like it 😊

could have been great in the current tv, film, fictional and speculative gb.

49096104243_7c4b689e6f_z.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A bit of a bump as we could do with some more votes to make our position safer in the poll.

Still not sure what to build though!

What are all your options craig - did you build many as a kid?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dansk said:

What are all your options craig - did you build many as a kid?

Err yes, I built lots as a kid.

In the stash at the moment are 2 that I built as a kid that stand out, the Airfix 1/72 CH-53 which I remember well as being one of my first  helicopters and being really impressed by the size of the beast, and a Matchbox Curtiss SBC-4 Helldiver which sticks in my memory for being colourful and for being the first biplane that I actually managed to finish!

• Like 2

Looks like this gb might go ahead in the bunfight right now.

If so i think we’ve got a whole bunch of exciting retro kits in the mix.

There’s another I remember my Dad building for / with me, but like a lot of the possible choices I have in my arsenal its ridiculously rare and expensive so almost definately a no-go.

49124035951_a73e878def_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Looks like this gb might go ahead in the bunfight right now.

If so i think we’ve got a whole bunch of exciting retro kits in the mix.

There’s another I remember my Dad building for / with me, but like a lot of the possible choices I have in my arsenal its ridiculously rare and expensive so almost definately a no-go.

49124035951_a73e878def_o.jpg

A friend of mine in High school had the real article. It had a 3” inch lift kit and was fully customized in back. 

Great everyone, Nice work!...

The GB got voted in amongst very stiff competition and so we have a lift off date of 25th of April - it’s gonna be really great! :yahoo:

So craig @modelling minion and myself will welcome you all then. 

Good luck in the meantime to track down those old (or reboxed) kits (and brand new kits in a couple of cases for the under 18 guys).

I can see a lot of lurking around on ebay in my near future to find the right kit for this, which in itself is half the fun! :penguin:

• Like 2