A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

3 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

As this survived the annual bun fight, can I join with a 1/72 Airfix Harrier in snow camouflage. 

Sounds great to me! 😎👍bonus points if you can find it in period boxing ☺️

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Better find an Airfix 1/72 Pe-2

Ebay’s gonna be awash with us lot searching for kits 🧐

heres a pe-2 in germany right now:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/99?loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F1604315513

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

Can I ask a question?  Is it preferable to make it without all the AM corrections and fixes with hairy stick painting and kit "transfers"and just as it would have been done back in the day or the alternative of "modernising" the build using current skills and AM?  Or given the spirit of the GB does it not matter a hoot? 

My 1/72 Revell Me 109 in original boxing await.  I suspect the decals transfers will be shot :hmmm:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Can I ask a question?  Is it preferable to make it without all the AM corrections and fixes with hairy stick painting and kit "transfers"and just as it would have been done back in the day or the alternative of "modernising" the build using current skills and AM?  Or given the spirit of the GB does it not matter a hoot? 

My 1/72 Revell Me 109 in original boxing await.  I suspect the decals transfers will be shot :hmmm:

Looking forward to see that one. 👍

The build style and ethos is totally up to you John.

Yes, I suspect some people might go kid-like and raw, and others take it to the other ‘grown-up’ super-detailing exhibition standard AM laden extreme.

I think both ways are fun, just opening that old kit box might spark a flurry of warm nostalgic feelings and memories (that hopefully everyone will share) irrespective of build type.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3

I'm in.

There's a ton of choices to pick from though. My most memorable early build was of the Monogram 1.48 Hurricane when it first came out. A birthday present that just blew me away, it was light years ahead of my regular Airfix series one kits. I did one for the Hawker GB not that long ago, so unfortunately that one is off the list. Ditto the Airfix Bit 'O Lace B17, probably my all time favourite Airfix kit. I've already got that one built. A Lancaster is out, another GB gets that one, although a Stirling would be a good substitute. The Airfix one with its bomb trolley has been on my 'to do' list for some time now. I bought a later Airfix one at a recent model show, so that might be the old Karma thing kicking in! I built an original after looting a damp one from a barge in Wandsworth after a flood at the Airfix factory many years ago. The estate I lived on was covered in the remains of Airfix kits for weeks afterwards, just about every kid on the estate had dozens of kits at that time. If fact, the Stirling can be my first entry, writing this has brought back some pleasant memories of the time.

Now that was a long winded way of saying, count me in with an Airfix Stirling!

Tony.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

I'm in.

There's a ton of choices to pick from though. My most memorable early build was of the Monogram 1.48 Hurricane when it first came out. A birthday present that just blew me away, it was light years ahead of my regular Airfix series one kits. I did one for the Hawker GB not that long ago, so unfortunately that one is off the list. Ditto the Airfix Bit 'O Lace B17, probably my all time favourite Airfix kit. I've already got that one built. A Lancaster is out, another GB gets that one, although a Stirling would be a good substitute. The Airfix one with its bomb trolley has been on my 'to do' list for some time now. I bought a later Airfix one at a recent model show, so that might be the old Karma thing kicking in! I built an original after looting a damp one from a barge in Wandsworth after a flood at the Airfix factory many years ago. The estate I lived on was covered in the remains of Airfix kits for weeks afterwards, just about every kid on the estate had dozens of kits at that time. If fact, the Stirling can be my first entry, writing this has brought back some pleasant memories of the time.

Now that was a long winded way of saying, count me in with an Airfix Stirling!

Tony.

Brilliant. That’s what this GB is all about Tony! Glad to have you onboard. The more Long-winded the better - its really fun to hear everyone’s stories!

• Thanks 1

Some great choices being made already.

@Hockeyboy76's Airfix Harrier in the Winter camo certainly brings back memories, must have made at least a squadron of those!

@Ozzy's Pe-2 is very intriguing, the old box art was really good but I never made one myself, will be great to watch.

@JohnT's Revell Bf-109 in it's original boxing will be good, but as you say John I think you might need new decals!

@TonyW's Stirling, another classic Airfix kit with terrific box art but sadly never built by me, although I do have the newer Italeri one but with no glazing (don't ask!)

All these great ideas have me really wanting our GB to come round sooner!

• Like 3

@Dansk, won an Airfix Harrier on evil bay, sadly not the vintage boxing with the built kit on the front, but still suitably aged. Going to build it as I would any other kit, still be a gluey finger print on it somewhere, raised panel lines and my nemesis “White paint”. I may even get it to sit on all of its wheels, instead of the cockeyed one I remember from my youf. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 2

Wasn't planning on joining this group build, but found myself in Monk Bar Models this afternoon whilst doing some Christmas Shopping (if anyone asks I was looking for a present for my nephew).

They had Tamiya's 1/35 Panzer Kampfwagen II on sale for a penny less than a tenner, as this was the first Tamiya kit I built back in late 70's/early 80's, I saw this as a sign and felt compelled to purchase it. So I am in.

• Like 3

Great idea! I will be up for this. Either a 1/48 Inpact/Life-Like Bulldog (my only 1/48 during childhood) or an Airfix Hudson are on the cards, but I might ruffle through my old instructions and see what else there is...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

Wasn't planning on joining this group build, but found myself in Monk Bar Models this afternoon whilst doing some Christmas Shopping (if anyone asks I was looking for a present for my nephew).

They had Tamiya's 1/35 Panzer Kampfwagen II on sale for a penny less than a tenner, as this was the first Tamiya kit I built back in late 70's/early 80's, I saw this as a sign and felt compelled to purchase it. So I am in.

What a great choice! I remember building one myself and using cotton wool dipped in paint to replicate green mottling on my Afrika Korps marked model, and yes I dare say it looked as bad as it sounds.

20 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Great idea! I will be up for this. Either a 1/48 Inpact/Life-Like Bulldog (my only 1/48 during childhood) or an Airfix Hudson are on the cards, but I might ruffle through my old instructions and see what else there is...

Regards,

Adrian

Having seen you work your magic on many an old Airfix classic I would love to see what you can do with the Hudson Adrian, not that there would be anything wrong with the Bulldog either, a great looking aircraft.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

@Dansk, won an Airfix Harrier on evil bay, sadly not the vintage boxing with the built kit on the front, but still suitably aged. Going to build it as I would any other kit, still be a gluey finger print on it somewhere, raised panel lines and my nemesis “White paint”. I may even get it to sit on all of its wheels, instead of the cockeyed one I remember from my youf. 

Great stuff. The great thing about this build is that any mistakes we make, like a fingerprint we can put it down as ‘...i did that as A nod of the hat to my childhood build’.😁

So enjoy the raised panel lines, possibly imperfect white paintjob and all the period wonkyness - we can’t go wrong 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dansk said:

The great thing about this build is that any mistakes we make, like a fingerprint we can put it down as ‘...i did that as A nod of the hat to my childhood build’.😁

Hmmm i guess i can fog the canopies up on my build with Testors tube glue ? 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

The GB is a while off but have others, who needed to, sourced / got their kits yet?

My ebay hawk landed.

The kit was all sealed.

Initial impressions - The decals and instructions look very yellow and theres very little detail on the parts - thats the charm i think.

And jeez i have a lot respect for those of you who make small 1/72 aircraft  -  wow it’s tiny!! My memory says 1/72 was much bigger. I have no idea how to make this look half-decent?! Well its gonna be fun trying.

49248474043_877e222350_b.jpg

She came with an equally retro and equally small bedfellow.

I have a vivid memory of building the jag (struggling with its undercarriage) and the seller threw it in for pennies and free shipping with the hawk. It would be rude not to get it right? 😀

49248474038_b92718aea2_b.jpg

Looking forward to see the rest of you guys kits coming in.

• Like 1

If I have time to join another GB this year.

Then I shall have to build  a WW-2 Matchbox kit like I did then.Unpainted..

That's how it started for me some 45 years ago.

I didn't know how decals worked.I thought they were stickers.

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 2