A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

41 minutes ago, TonyW said:

The closer we get to the starting line, the more stuff I keep digging up. That's a good thing... I think?

Definately a good thing!
I love your enthusiasm for this Tony, and I love that lightning artwork also.

I’ll be following everything you decide to make with interest.

p.s. I didnt know you could do that with bleach

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm jealous of that calendar, Tony. They go for big bucks now. I think the SH-3D Sea King is in there, which has to be one of my favourites.

I have another spare set of early Airfix Lightning decals if your two fail. Let me know if and when you need them.

Multi-tasking builds. What can possibly go wrong?!! Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the bleached parts after a good scrub up in hot water followed by a thorough rinse in cold. The Hudson and Lightning came up a treat, along with the WW1 Tank. Most of the paint has come off the bloodhound stuff although some parts went back in the bleach. It looks like there's a couple more entries here.

IMG-1290.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

I remember those silver tracks on the WWI tank - they melted the green plastic of the kit after a while..

The notorious Airfix 'Track Rot'.  Sixties car kits, with their soft tires were also a bit prone to melting the kit plastic into a soft goop. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyW said:

Here's the bleached parts after a good scrub up in hot water followed by a thorough rinse in cold. The Hudson and Lightning came up a treat, along with the WW1 Tank. Most of the paint has come off the bloodhound stuff although some parts went back in the bleach. It looks like there's a couple more entries here.

IMG-1290.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together.

That’s fantastic. Nice!

3 hours ago, Jinxman said:

I remember those silver tracks on the WWI tank - they melted the green plastic of the kit after a while..

Really?? I wonder what sort of chemical process was going on there? I found the tracks hard to glue as they seemed to be rubbery and greasy. Must have been my grubby mitts as a 10 year old. (I’ve just checked a couple of newer boxing’s of these bought maybe 5 or 6 years ago for my son and the silver tracks on light grey plastic are still OK. Joined by staples, I see!)

Plastics are not as stable as first thought when they came out. Soft tires can react with hard plastic leaving the hard plastic a bit like chewing gum. I've bought old car kits that have had entire tire prints on windscreens for instance. In severe cases the tires stick fast to the hard parts. The Airfix James Bond Astons when advertised as built models almost always suffer from this. The wheel/tire interface looks foamy where the reaction is really getting going.

Some Airfix OO/HO polythene figures are renown for going brittle. They then shatter like glass when handled. Ebay auctions that mention a few rifle barrels, or whatever, missing are to be avoided for this reason. The silver tank tracks on original 60's issue kits reacted while the kits were new in the shops. Airfix magazine articles and letters mention it happening. Varnish and silver paper were offered as solutions and Airfix themselves switched to black plastic tracks which seem to be OK. Newer kits with silver tracks seem OK as well.

Nothings forever it would seem.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 2

On 17/04/2020 at 22:23, JohnT said:

Denied - you lot ganged up and forced me to do it. And I expect you all to back me up on that when MrsT phones you, Dansk and Enzo for confirmation when the postman delivers another kit :whistle:

Right so one complaint to the mods about bullying on the site to say you three miscreants forced me into buying another Revell Me 109e and sundry other goodies to do a “back then and now” job only to be told to stop sniffing man up and get on with it, er them. Reminds me of my late father looking at me in my trunks and saying I was the only man Charles Atlas had to send his money back to. :D

So as soon as the sun stops shining, MrsT stops finding things for me to do and I work out how to post some photos without a camera I will start a joint build of two ancient 109’s, one straight OOB but with aftermarket decals as the kit box ones are shot as it’s an original boxing. The other purchase is a newer boxing but as I have acquired a decal sheet with multiple options I may as well use it. The second one will get tarted up with some etch and resin am. I will need to work out what techniques etc as the earlier one I want to do 1960,s style as it were. Don’t have any tube glue for starters though. One thing  is I require to brush paint as airbrushes and stuff are away and out of hand pending the house move. We are between places at present.  Indeed most modelling was on hold this past year because of that. 

It’s odd going back to a 1/72 build after years at 1/32. It’s so tiny or just seems that way. They made 1/72 a lot bigger when I was 10. When did it shrink? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thats a bit of a rarity John and would be a very welcome addition to the growing ranks of builds in the GB, if you can find it build it!

To the garage!

Well,tomorrow morning anyway 😁

John 

• Haha 2

I've been racking my brains as I'd like to do a small Revell and Matchbox subject that sticks out as a special childhood build,for Revell the Sopwith

Camel sticks out as probably my first attempt(and probably fail) at a biplane but Matchbox would be down to either the FW190 which I remember

in green and blue plastic or the Me109 in yellow and brown!

• Like 2

I wasn't too sure about this, then I thought why not, may be fun!

In the stash I found these:

Matchbox F-16, canopy is missing but I could adapt a spare from another kit. It was maybe the first kit I bought at 12..

Matchbox Tomcat.. oh how happy I was when I built this!

Matchbox Sea Harrier.. I remember looking everywhere for this kit when first issued 

Matchbox Hs.125.. no real story about this one but was one of the first kits I painted

Airfix Hurricane Mk.i.. the first kit I ever converted. Into a Sea Hurricane, so not much of a conversion. Problem is that this kit suffers from a lot of mismoulded parts

Airfix P-38F.. a Christmas present after I saw one in an episode of Baa Baa Black Sheep and fell in love.

And then a few others with no interesting story but still part of my youth:

Airfix F-86D (nice kit)

Airfix Skyraider (not so nice kit)

Airfix S-3 Viking

Revell MC.200 ( oh dear..)

Matchbox Lightning 

Matchbox Tornado F.3 

Matchbox Phantom

Plus a number of models from the era that are broken down waiting for restoration.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the P-38 but I may change my mind...

• Like 8

On 4/24/2020 at 11:12 PM, TonyW said:

Here's the bleached parts after a good scrub up in hot water followed by a thorough rinse in cold

Tony is this just regular household bleach, and does this work on resin parts too?

12 hours ago, Dansk said:

Tony is this just regular household bleach, and does this work on resin parts too?

Yup. The cheap stuff works, just leave the parts in overnight. Enamels don't stand a chance although some colours need longer in the bleach than others. A good scrub under hot water helps as well. Most kits I strip back are old ones and are painted with enamels. I'm not sure how it works with acrylics but an experiment would sort that out easily enough.

I've not tried it on resin. It would be a good idea to experiment with something replaceable first. I can't see a problem though.

The lot I bleached above turned out fine with the planes, less so with the WW1 Tank. That one has been attacked by its tracks as well as being a bit of a glue bomb under the very thick paintjob. The bleach removed every bit of paint though. The kit itself is in the bin now, just to far gone to rescue.

Meanwhile, back on the Ranch...

Have a posed picture!

IMG-1325.jpg

I've linked the GB in with my Nostalgia thread, with a bit of luck it will bring a bit of traffic this way.

Tony.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Old Bill bus was another kit I built way back but never got round to the Dennis fire engine,I'll dig it out as I re-visited it a couple of years ago,I remember

the SR 53 in a poly bag and The Spirit of free enterprise Ferry,we had wooden pelmet's above the windows with the figure's on them I remember Joan

of Arc,Cromwell and King Charles were up there,and Monty's Humber(I'm still in two minds to build one for this GB) and Romell's half track happy day's

I'm glad I never grew up!

The SR53 and Spirit of Free Enterprise are very pricey indeed these days. Three different issues for the SR53 so I'm not sure why that one is so desirable to the collectors, maybe pre internet conceptions still holding on? The Free Enterprise only got one issue before the real concept was discredited so it is rather rare. It would take a truly dedicated builder to break out the glue for either!

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

The SR53 and Spirit of Free Enterprise are very pricey indeed these days.

Agree Tony I saw the boxing of the Free Enterprise recently up for £159 and you can kiss £50+ for most issues of the SR51,I would love to see the latter in

the classic re-release series but Lord knows where the molds are.