A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

I've made the fatal mistake of too many GB's on the go at once, 4 already and this one makes 5 !

Must get my digit withdrawn and complete a couple before "A Bit of Lace" makes her appearance, good luck everyone.

Just to make this complete, is @Enzo Matrix going to remind us to clean our teeth and read us a story each night before we go to bed or is that's @Dansk job as the GB moderator for this one ?

Cheers Pat

• Haha 5

On 4/19/2020 at 5:53 PM, Erwin said:

Not much chance that I will find the kit,now that all conventions are cancelled due to COVID.

And I don't want to pay heavy postage to get it.

But,if I somehow do manage.I want to build this one.

This was my first WW-2 model when I was 15.(45 years ago )

130171-10189-pristine.jpg

I still have the Romanian decals left over from this kit, and even though they are nearly 40 years old, I sill intend to use them some day, maybe even soon.

• Like 5

Projected build list:

All bought in the past few years in Airfix "Gift Set" boxings:

• A.W. Seahawk
  • Westland Whirlwind I (that's the plane, although I have the chopper as well)
  • Dassault Mirage IIIC

I'm considering whether to "bomb up" the Whirlwind. I have spare decals from the original Mirage IIIC build that could be used instead of those in the "Gift Set" boxing.

From Matchbox (all purchased for a second time c. 1990):

• Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt (prototype)
  • Vickers Wellesley
  • Me 410 (currently "self-isolating" in my mother's house, but I should be able to get it at some point)

Other kits on in the "possible" category, time permitting:

• Airfix Fi 156 "Storch", newly purchased in the "Vintage Classic" boxing, which would be very appropriate for this GB
  • Airfix Douglas F4D Skyray, as originally issued in the later 1970s, bought second-hand a few years ago
  • Revell (ex-Matchbox) Gloster Gladiator
  • Italeri (ex-ESCI) Panzer III Ausf. M/N

I'm deliberately excluding any other kit that is also covered by other upcoming group builds, other than "the less than a tenner" GB.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

This one gets my vote!

Don't see many Airfix Fords being built.

I might get banished for saying this, but if the Tamiya kit* did not exist, the Airfix kit would still be regarded as a classic - well, maybe a "Vintage Classic".

*Of which I have two in the stash. I like the Skyray.

Anyway, if I find the time to build the Skyray, it will be mid-summer. I seem to remember first building it during the summer, way back in 1982.

• Like 2

A thought occurs,  as this seems a popular subject,   perhaps a future GB would "the kit you never built as a kid, but wanted too..." 

The ones that occur too me are Airfix Stirling , which funnily enough I was given recently, part started, 50 years ago apparently..., which occurred as a member of club had won in the Xmas raffle a Ben (reboxed Tamiya 1/100 Il-28) when I asked if he wanted it, he said no, and gave it too me,  as I'd wanted the Airfix one as a child,  and mentioned in passing it was one of the few I never built, along with the Stirling.... which prompted " I have one of those I started and will never finish"  and was duly presented at the next club meeting.  Thanks Dave! 

(I have part built the Il-28 BTW

The other was the Airfix B-17....   I was asked if i wanted a kit at some point (it was a safe bet as a request!)  and requested a B-17, visions of the iconic box art dancing in my mind.... but mum went to Seaford, not Lewes.... and I was duly presented with...... a Revell B-17 Memphis Belle....

Reminds me, I once asked for "A Lightning" , meaning a P-38 and then got an EE Lightning.     

Both the Revell B-17 and the EE Lightning were of course happily built and I was quite happy with once done, I mean a kits a kit right!  ( I miss being 9 sometimes) 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

A thought occurs,  as this seems a popular subject,   perhaps a future GB would "the kit you never built as a kid, but wanted too..."

I actually think that this sounds like a good idea, as the list of entries for this GB grows there is a growing memory of some of the kits that I wanted to build but never got the chance.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The ones that occur too me are Airfix Stirling , which funnily enough I was given recently, part started, 50 years ago apparently..., which occurred as a member of club had won in the Xmas raffle a Ben (reboxed Tamiya 1/100 Il-28) when I asked if he wanted it, he said no, and gave it too me,  as I'd wanted the Airfix one as a child,  and mentioned in passing it was one of the few I never built, along with the Stirling.... which prompted " I have one of those I started and will never finish"  and was duly presented at the next club meeting.  Thanks Dave! 

(I have part built the Il-28 BTW

The other was the Airfix B-17....   I was asked if i wanted a kit at some point (it was a safe bet as a request!)  and requested a B-17, visions of the iconic box art dancing in my mind.... but mum went to Seaford, not Lewes.... and I was duly presented with...... a Revell B-17 Memphis Belle....

Reminds me, I once asked for "A Lightning" , meaning a P-38 and then got an EE Lightning.     

Both the Revell B-17 and the EE Lightning were of course happily built and I was quite happy with once done, I mean a kits a kit right!  ( I miss being 9 sometimes) 

Someone proposed it and built a thread for it a while back. Its a great idea but i think the thing was that most people built that kit now as they got as an adult what they couldnt as a kid.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

On 01/05/2019 at 13:46, Ventora3300 said:

This sounds like just the sort of GB I should be in on - I think I've been building kits done as a kid for the last three years now. I've still got many of the old Airfix and Frog kits tucked away but they are all aircraft. Maybe I could do an armour build like the Centurion (my first tank) after a visit to ebay ? Put me down for that and I can change my kit choice later as required. Great idea for a GB!

I thought I had made a promise for this one - I did indeed visit ebay so here it is, the Airfix Centurion Mk 8 - 'red stripe' boxing just like I did as a kid. I think my Dad bought me this one as he had done his National Service in the Royal Engineers so they may have had these around supporting the RE at the time. After I built the Centurion, I went on to the Churchill and all the others.

Here's the box......I'll get a WIP thread up just shortly. I'm looking forward to this one, for some reason!

nLvwurw.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

I thought I had made a promise for this one - I did indeed visit ebay so here it is, the Airfix Centurion Mk 8 - 'red stripe' boxing just like I did as a kid. I think my Dad bought me this one as he had done his National Service in the Royal Engineers so they may have had these around supporting the RE at the time. After I built the Centurion, I went on to the Churchill and all the others.

Here's the box......I'll get a WIP thread up just shortly. I'm looking forward to this one, for some reason!

nLvwurw.jpg

Super cool, get a wip thread going, that ones gonna be ace!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

Someone proposed it and built a thread for it a while back. Its a great idea but i think the thing was that most people built that kit now as they got as an adult what they couldnt as a kid.

Ah, that was moi..

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Ah, that was moi..

Maybe we should give it a kickstart now this one is semi-underway to see if theres further interest.

i was thinking today (a rare occurence 😊)... that maybe ‘Your favourite kit GB’ could maybe be of interest?

i’ve built a kit that i love and would like an excuse to revisit it. Everyone would do an awesome job on their favourite kit so we’d have a great gallery 👍

also an explanation of why its your favourite kit would allow others to evaluate and take interest in the kit and see during the build with comments on why its so good. We’d end up with a crème de la crème of kits in the gb, both for technical excellence and fondness for other reasons. But basically the best.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2020 at 20:37, JOCKNEY said:

Just to make this complete, is @Enzo Matrix going to remind us to clean our teeth and read us a story each night before we go to bed

Whaddaya mean, "go to bed"?!?!?   This is a GB.  No sleep till Endex!!!!  :lol: 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, MarkSH said:

I'd  have quite a few candidates for the 'kit you built and wished you hadn't GB'

Oh yes and some of us are still adding to that list on a regular basis 😭

• Haha 3

On 4/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Another Gb I’d committed to, well not feeling motivated to enter either of the ones I’d planned given I’ve got so much else on the go or to start. But should one of my current builds go well I have remembered not one but two particular kits I had forgotten about surprisingly given their size that I will be more enthusiastic about entering, though one is much harder to acquire than the other 

I hope you join the fun Stu. Hopefully we can all keep you motivated and productive. Now I’m curious about the kits 🤔

Hi Paul @Dansk I'm trying to be in every groupbuild at the same time by the looks of it 😄 I just had a trawl through Kingkit and bought this:

9928902066.JPG

Would be very pleased if I could join in when it arrives?

Alan

• Like 5