A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

Regardless of my previous five options listed earlier, I may go for a sixth one and join the soon squadron strength of Airfix A Bit O'Laces. You know the Santa comes from Finland, and thus we get our presents already on the Christmas Eve. That's why on one Christmas night, about three o'clock my O'Lace stood in the light of our Christmas tree, unpainted but assembled with tube glue (smothered all over the silver and clear surfaces), the few decals attached here and there and nearly molten landing gear giving up under the weight of the mod... kit. It looked nothing like the colourful boxart, to my mom and sister anyway, but I loved her!

(In the decades between, I've grown to appreciate the beauty of the cartoon Miss Lace too...)

Why now for the second time? Well, there's a Finnish-American connection! One of her pilots (as Miss Lace and in full 447th BG rainbow of colours in 1945) was Ltn. Thomas M. Mustaleski. I had some doubts, but then I read the diary of S.Sgt Lauri K. Rautio, a ball turret gunner in 708 BS, and he mentions Ltn. Mustaleski being a Finnish-American too. How could I resist that connection to one of the most modelled military aircraft ever?

BTW, Mustaleski means Black Widow in Finnish :coolio:. V-P

• Like 4

10 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Regardless of my previous five options listed earlier, I may go for a sixth one and join the soon squadron strength of Airfix A Bit O'Laces. You know the Santa comes from Finland, and thus we get our presents already on the Christmas Eve. That's why on one Christmas night, about three o'clock my O'Lace stood in the light of our Christmas tree, unpainted but assembled with tube glue (smothered all over the silver and clear surfaces), the few decals attached here and there and nearly molten landing gear giving up under the weight of the mod... kit. It looked nothing like the colourful boxart, to my mom and sister anyway, but I loved her!

(In the decades between, I've grown to appreciate the beauty of the cartoon Miss Lace too...)

Why now for the second time? Well, there's a Finnish-American connection! One of her pilots (as Miss Lace and in full 447th BG rainbow of colours in 1945) was Ltn. Thomas M. Mustaleski. I had some doubts, but then I read the diary of S.Sgt Lauri K. Rautio, a ball turret gunner in 708 BS, and he mentions Ltn. Mustaleski being a Finnish-American too. How could I resist that connection to one of the most modelled military aircraft ever?

BTW, Mustaleski means Black Widow in Finnish :coolio:. V-P

Wonderful stuff. It would be a crime not to build it!
perhaps with Final gallery shots sporting a christmas tree in the background? 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dansk said:

Wonderful stuff. It would be a crime not to build it!
perhaps with Final gallery shots sporting a christmas tree in the background? 😁

If Enzo allows enough extension to the GB, why not!?

• Like 1

Great news @vppelt68, The "Bit O'Lace" is beginning to turn into a GB within a GB.

We had something simular in the Frog Squad GB with of all things the Blackburn Shark !

This GB should really appeal to anyone who still has an interest in modelling, in fact let's be honest it has the potential to be the largest GB since @Enzo Matrix was in short trousers 

Good luck everyone 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great news @vppelt68, The "Bit O'Lace" is beginning to turn into a GB within a GB.

We had something simular in the Frog Squad GB with of all things the Blackburn Shark !

This GB should really appeal to anyone who still has an interest in modelling, in fact let's be honest it has the potential to be the largest GB since @Enzo Matrix was in short trousers 

Good luck everyone 

A Bit O’Lace GB could be super,  SAGB a Single Aircraft Group Build 😁

• Like 2

Just catching up on this thread since I last posted I've built an oldie or two but just got an original Airfix 1/72  Spitfire Vb for the upcoming GB,as soon

as I opened the box and saw the blue plastic it took me back to when the kit was new, for various reasons the following kits have happy childhood 

memories....Airfix Mauritania and Sea King(both in the stash),Airfix B-26 Invader,Angel interceptor,Mk ix Spitfire,Stuka,HMS Victory,nearly all the 1/12

figures were built then Matchbox kits arrived.Strange considering my output for the Frog GB they never really featured much.Oh and Airfix's 1/32 cars

too have you seen the price of the things now?

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, moviedrone said:

I'd be happy if I could come aboard with a Revell USS Voyager that I had (and built badly) when I was a teen...

"Make it so,"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This looks like it's going to be another of those mammoth GB's!

Still need to decide what to build though, although with the inability to attend any model shows I've not been able to get hold of some of the kits I had thought of building, not that there isn't anything suitable in the stash!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, moviedrone said:

I'd be happy if I could come aboard with a Revell USS Voyager that I had (and built badly) when I was a teen...

I’ve added you to the list, welcome aboard (with) the USS Voyager!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

This looks like it's going to be another of those mammoth GB's!

Still need to decide what to build though, although with the inability to attend any model shows I've not been able to get hold of some of the kits I had thought of building, not that there isn't anything suitable in the stash!

Excited to see what you end up with craig.

By the way everyone, Craig (modelling minion) and Glynn @Hewy have gratiously offered their expert and kind services to co-host this GB as it looks, as craig said, to be mammoth in scale.

• Like 2

This means trouble. For me only, but trouble anyway. I picked her up from the post agent today. It's a 1990 boxing of a kit I built in March 1987. That's when I was 18 but not yet 19. It's not an Airfix Fortress either, and though it has decals for Miss Lace, I have other plans for her decocation. I can't even remember how I decorated her back then.

So in the end, I posted this one just to tell you that regardless of the current world situation, hobby shops are still online and the mail operates too (from the UK to Finland, at least) but I most likely can't/won't build this kit in this group build. Let's enjoy the boxart then! V-P

2020-04-02_06-30-35

• Like 3

Can I join with a Tomcat please?

I remember trying to build one as a kid but it didn't go together very well (probably more me than the kit) and I've not had a go at another since!! If I recall correctly it was a 1:48 but I'll go with a 1:72 for this GB

Cheers

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, vppelt68 said:

This means trouble. For me only, but trouble anyway. I picked her up from the post agent today. It's a 1990 boxing of a kit I built in March 1987. That's when I was 18 but not yet 19. It's not an Airfix Fortress either, and though it has decals for Miss Lace, I have other plans for her decocation. I can't even remember how I decorated her back then.

So in the end, I posted this one just to tell you that regardless of the current world situation, hobby shops are still online and the mail operates too (from the UK to Finland, at least) but I most likely can't/won't build this kit in this group build. Let's enjoy the boxart then! V-P

2020-04-02_06-30-35

Oh nooooo, can you do another kit?  
Hobby shops are still online and the mail operates too 😉

19 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Can I join with a Tomcat please?

I remember trying to build one as a kid but it didn't go together very well (probably more me than the kit) and I've not had a go at another since!! If I recall correctly it was a 1:48 but I'll go with a 1:72 for this GB

Cheers

Great - sounds like a good idea

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Most importantly did you get any tea Cakes?

:D  I was actually a bit disappointed about the lack of teacakes in the package.   So I immediately went out and bought some!  :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3