A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

10 hours ago, frogmodeller said:

I've just been seeking out a Blackburn skua because it was my first aircraft build and now I find this topic, hmm, is it destiny..? 

It is destiny,build it,on the subject of Frog,I picked up a Do17 for £12:50 which arrived yesterday as new the kit was a loft find in his Grandad's house,

it was still sealed in its poly bag absolutely mint,There's a Ventura on e-bay same era not sealed and it's sitting at £50+ is this a rare kit ? It seems a hell

of a lot of folk (16 bids) want it.edit.Ah the description I should have read,test shot only 100 made?wow went for £217.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

There's a Ventura on e-bay same era not sealed and it's sitting at £50+ is this a rare kit ? It seems a hell

of a lot of folk (16 bids) want it.edit.Ah the description I should have read,test shot only 100 made?wow went for £217.

I think the Ventura is only rare as a genuine Frog, there's loads of Frogspawn ones drifting around, I got one in a bag for a fiver.  And Frog must've printed a full gazillion run of decals as this was one of the sheets included when Hannants sold them off in packs of ten assorted, some 40 years after Frog went under!

• Like 1

The story at the end of Frog is they printed 40,000 boxes, destroyed most of them at only made 100 test shots of the mould, they never printed any instructions as far as is known. So this is indeed a Frog branded boxed rarity, hence it ended at over £200. 

• Like 3

Yes I saw that too, a USSR produced, probably Novo kit, in an odd photocopied made up box.

IIRC the box art appeared in the 1990s Lines / Hellstrom Story of Frog book, so it would have been easy for someone to get access to if they didn't have the kit.

Whether this has been just for someone to be able to ID for their stash and now its made its way onto the market I don't know, but it seems a tad pricey. I suppose the very low production of the genuine Frog one is why it keeps a keen price when they turn up? I was well outbid :D 

I find some of their range to be eclectic choices of models, some of the aircraft were only produced in fairly limited numbers and really weren't all that successful. Look at the DH110, great artwork on the original box, but given the horrific Farnborough crash, the one that fell into the sea on carrier landing at the Royal Navy "press day" killing the pilot (captured and broadcast on Pathe News) and the fact that half of the less than 100 produced had accidents or were written off, not a great page of naval aviation history, but they must have thought they could sell enough and of course this was the (fairly) early jet age.

I recently acquired the Frog Fairey Delta II which I am tempted to build, but being scarce I may try to find a later Novo one. Breaking the aviation high speed record by over 300 mph up to 1132mph at the time was certainly headline news for a better reason.

• Like 1

As the more attentive amongst you may have realised, I'm finally getting back into the swing of things, with 3 kits currently on the go in this GB: The (much delayed) Airfix Skyray, Airfix Whirlwind I, and Matchbox Lysander. I suppose the ongoing miserable weather has something to do with this, although work has been a constant intrusion.

• Like 4

Well only the Skyray and Mauritania left to do now so I can ease up and enjoy the rest of the builds but with a good while left to go if something

turns up..........................

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Well only the Skyray and Mauritania left to do now so I can ease up and enjoy the rest of the builds but with a good while left to go if something

turns up..........................

What have you done? Have you hit the "buy" button again Steve? Aren't you busy enough with the other GB's you're in too?

Oh, and good luck with the new job mate, start tomorrow don't you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

What have you done? Have you hit the "buy" button again Steve? Aren't you busy enough with the other GB's you're in too?

Oh, and good luck with the new job mate, start tomorrow don't you?

Thank's Craig I start in the morning,I've hit the buy button but not for this GB!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Craig I start in the morning,I've hit the buy button but not for this GB!

Good luck with your new job Steve.

I think you have done this GB proud looking forward to see the last two reach the finishing line 👍

• Like 2

Really enjoying this GB. So many BMers doing a much better job of kits I remember building in the 80s!

I was just sitting here pondering the passing of the years as it’s my 47th birthday on Friday, when it dawned on me that Thursday is my 40th anniversary as a modeller. We were visiting a family we knew and the father was a (I think lapsed) modeller. I must have shown an interest in his models and they must have heard my birthday was the next day (I was 6, about to have my 7th birthday, probably excited about it, so I expect I might have mentioned it!) and as we were leaving he thrust a Matchbox Lightning into my hands. The rest is history. So it’s a pretty appropriate time for me to be indulging in some modelling nostalgia! Thanks @Dansk for an awesome GB.

Maybe I’ll tell the story of how the same family friend was involved in my brother wetting his pants on the apron at Manchester Airport later...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Maybe I’ll tell the story of how the same family friend was involved in my brother wetting his pants on the apron at Manchester Airport later...

Well it would be just plain rude not to find out about the rest of the story !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Well it would be just plain rude not to find out about the rest of the story !

Here you go then:

The family friend was a fireman at the airport fire station. Some time in the early 80s (and I think this was also on my birthday, funnily enough) an Air France Concorde was visiting and he invited us to go and see it at the fire station. He gave us the tour and drove us out onto the apron in a fire engine. He demonstrated how things work including where the water for the fire hoses comes from - he inserted a stand pipe into a hydrant and told my brother to turn the tap at the top. Instead of standing still and turning the handle he moved around the pipe with the handle and was standing in just the wrong place when the water came out!

• Haha 4

I just want to say thanks for a brilliant Group Build!

Maybe next time we could have "Kit you built as a kid, built the way you built it back then". There could be bonus points for spilling paint on dining tables too!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Maybe next time we could have "Kit you built as a kid, built the way you built it back then". There could be bonus points for spilling paint on dining tables too!

Regards,

Adrian

It was great to have you join the fun Adrain, and with another cracking build.

I like the idea of a strictly "as a kid" build, could be some very interesting results!

• Like 1

I've just spent a wonderful half hout wandering through the gallery and the associated build threas. :thumbsup: 

Is this going to be another GB that breaks the forum software?  By my reckoning, we need another eleven builds.   Well...   nine...   'cos I intend mine to be in there, albeit probably on the last day of the GB...  You know wot it's like.  :shrug:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've just spent a wonderful half hout wandering through the gallery and the associated build threas. :thumbsup: 

Is this going to be another GB that breaks the forum software?  By my reckoning, we need another eleven builds.   Well...   nine...   'cos I intend mine to be in there, albeit probably on the last day of the GB...  You know wot it's like.  :shrug:

In addition to the Skyray and Lysander I currently have in progress (and which I will finish on time!), I may sneak in another kit, which would make six in all from me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, AdrianMF said:

Regards,

Adrian

Hmmm ... so maybe I should "build" the Airfix Spitfire VB the way I did when I was 8 years old? It was my, very, very first kit. On second thoughts, maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, klr said:

Hmmm ... so maybe I should "build" the Airfix Spitfire VB the way I did when I was 8 years old? It was my, very, very first kit. On second thoughts, maybe not.

I could do that.  But I'm worried that people wouldn't notice any difference...   :fraidnot:  

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Now that's wot I'm talkin' about!    :thumbsup:

Just don't expect any four-engined beasties like the Matchbox Privateer or Victor, both of which I have in a Revell box. Or even the six-engined Italeri Me 323. I keep thinking about starting one of these for this GB. but then my sanity reasserts itself.

Maybe it will a piece of armour, perhaps the Matchbox Sd.Kfz 234/2 "Puma" (Revell box again). But in truth, I've not yet made up my mind.

Edited by klr
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 12:43 AM, modelling minion said:

A superb choice, I loved Matchbox armour and the Puma was a favourite.

Yes you had, hadn't you! :poke:

Thread now started, and the kit itself won't be far behind.

And I may even build another 1/76 vehicle from days of yore ...

• Like 2