A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

I was wondering why it's been relatively quiet in this GB for the past couple of days, then I remembered there is the Blitz Build GB this weekend. Here in Ireland, our bank holiday is not until next weekend, and anyway, I would struggle mightily to build any kit in a single weekend. Although I could try ...

• Like 1

Right nostalgia time,dug out this little kit built about four years ago for a memory trip,this is a later Revell boxing but it was one of my favourite Matchbox

armour kits.Added a bit of flock and a stick telegraph pole.

20200528_105311 (1)

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

Lovely looking build Steve.

I'll see your Matchbox Masterpiece and raise you an Airfix one...

IMG-1804.jpg

That one was my entry for last weekends Blitzbuild.

Tony

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Ooh we're in the middle of a Sherman-off!!

The arrival of a couple of King Tigers might decide things.....😬

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got any pics of the cockpit interior of a Do 217 - E preferably but J would probably be similar in most respects?

Pete

I  wondered if anyone had considered assembling a kit without paint at all and just put the decal's on? I suppose Matchbox would be the obvious 

make for this kind of thing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I  wondered if anyone had considered assembling a kit without paint at all and just put the decal's on? I suppose Matchbox would be the obvious 

It had crossed my mind, just as taking a hammer to the Airfix 109 had as well. 😀

Also a possibility for the future - a refurbishment GB where you take an old kit and give it a proper new paint job, re-attach the props, new decals perhaps - that sort of thing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

The Airfix Centurion was a candidate for this as the plastic colour (green) was a good match for the paint scheme. How about an Airfix Hawker Hart as it comes in silver plastic? - that's how I built it first time round. The temptation would be to add rigging, though.

What I’d really like to see is an expert at wood marquetry cutting up a Matchbox Lanc so that the brown and green camouflage is done by the plastic. They released the kits in different colours so at least this is feasable —— Or am I mad 🤪

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Got something in mind Steve?

When I was on the look out for the Do17 on ebay I saw a built example in the light blue plastic Craig fully assembled and it did strike me  if built

and glossed with decals it would be something different a little 109 or Spitfire might be on the cards in the future especially in the light blue plastic.

• Like 3

The Matchbox 210/410 would look good in  plane plastic (mis-spelling my pathetic attempt at a joke.

I once gave a talk to the Sussex Military History Society on decoy aircraft made to lure Luftwaffe bombs - I called it “Plane deception”

• Like 3

10 hours ago, stevej60 said:

When I was on the look out for the Do17 on ebay I saw a built example in the light blue plastic Craig fully assembled and it did strike me  if built

and glossed with decals it would be something different a little 109 or Spitfire might be on the cards in the future especially in the light blue plastic.

Sounds like a great idea to me Steve, you have obviously found a small gap in your build schedule :) .

• Haha 2

Just started looking at the Battle and Do17 with the intention of starting,ended up fondling the sprues of the Sea king,the molding is lovely and crisp

and the glazing  a lot healthier than later releases I'm trying a couple of methods of replacing the curved front glazing which was missing and one

seems to be showing promise I'd rather build it than the Beaufighter truth be told we'll see.

• Like 2

Just hung the Meteor from the ceiling rotated it for this one which needed a severe dusting,might have been for the Matchbox GB.

surprised we haven't seen their Mk ix make an appearance yet.

20200614_201940

• Like 7

Possible change of plans...and it will free up a little more stash space as it's certainly one of the bigger boxes.  

Who all remembers Monogram's "Big, Bad, & Beautiful" series from the late '80s?  :wicked:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, frogmodeller said:

I've just been seeking out a Blackburn skua because it was my first aircraft build and now I find this topic, hmm, is it destiny..? 

Though I'm not the host for this build usually its a case of anyone is welcome to join. Im thinking @Dansk probably wont mind. 

• Like 1