A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

19 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

:D  I was actually a bit disappointed about the lack of teacakes in the package.   So I immediately went out and bought some!  :lol: 

Well played sir.  Well played.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Bloody hell, this one is right around the corner.  Need to get the existing projects finished up and cleared off the bench.....

I'll say. One of the kits I had earmarked was the Matchbox Me 410, but that's currently a long way away, where I couldn't travel to even if I wanted to, and to which I couldn't either even if I got there (because my elderly mother is living there, and no-one is allowed in).

Hopefully, I'll be able to get it and then build it before August. In the meantime, I'd better make a short-list of other candidates.

• Like 1

Seeing as I've  agreed to help out @Dansk and @modelling minion in this gb in a co hosting capacity ,I'd  better come clean on what I intend to build, the red arrows, a matchbox  1/72 hs gnat mk.t1,  kit- pk 15   i thought they were awsome at airshows i used to go to when i was a kid , can't pin the year down but I'll guess at 78/9  bought it the first time round from an airshow at  raf mildenhall ,i didn't paint it then  ,left it red and white plastic ,  the other kit , well after the first  stars wars film came out in 77, i was space mad , along with just about any plastic kit i could get my hands on , i had the space shuttle bought me for christmas one year it had rocket boosters with it  then though ,1981 i think,

I've  had the new version gnat in the stash for a very long time, and the space shuttle ,probably 2 years max,

I'm  looking forward to building both 

aXuLPrt.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 3

A great couple of choices Glynn, and very diverse too!

Will you be adding details to the Gnat? I used to love building those Matchbox kits when I was a kid as they always went together very nicely and usually came with interesting decal choices such as their Bf 109E which had Romanian markings as well as the very nice ones for JG-27.

I will have to give the stash a good staring at today and make my decision as to what to build myself.

• Thanks 1

I love Tunnock's Tea Cakes just polished off a box yesterday, fortunately there doesn't seem to be any panic buying of my fav confection so far!

• Haha 3

@modelling minion

I might see if i can get  something together for it craig, maybe some blue cotton wool stuffed up its jet pipe ,on a base , i have noticed the decals look a bit dodgy for a start, and i saw while looking for french aeronaval roundels on the net( mine are rubbish for the etendard) theres a  posh decal sheet for the shuttle available, looks a bit rich though , there may have to  be some deft masking on that one , I'm  sure you'll  drag something appropriate and cool  from the darkest corner of stash craig, i look forward to your choice 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 7:51 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I've finally chosen my build for this GB.

spacer.png

Yes, it did actually come packed in a Tunnocks Tea Cakes box!  :rofl: 

Added you to the list Enzo

49739355467_3e30e3161d_c.jpg

@Hewy i’m so jealous of your space shuttle! 🤩😍😎

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Sign me up please 😁

reading through this thread has made me all nostalgic 😍

Having really enjoyed the classic Frog, Airfix, and Matchbox GB's I am hoping this will be equally fun. 

I would do my 1/32 Revell Hurricane 1 which I clearly remember hanging from the ceiling in my room when I was a kid. I got the reissue of the kit a few years back, and this seems like the right place to build it. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I would do my 1/32 Revell Hurricane 1 which I clearly remember hanging from the ceiling in my room when I was a kid. I got the reissue of the kit a few years back, and this seems like the right place to build it. 

What a great choice Greg, you can never have too many Hurricanes in a GB.

Great to have you sign up too as your builds are always good to follow.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

What a great choice Greg, you can never have too many Hurricanes in a GB.

Great to have you sign up too as your builds are always good to follow.

Cheers Craig 👍

• Like 1

Nice idea, a trip into Yesteryears. Depending on how fast the paid work spools up, I could pick up one of those fast builds that I used to throw together in a weekend and paint with oils (I kept some spares and they are still sticky, 30+ years later...)

• Like 4

Sign me up too, I have a Matchbox Bristol Beaufighter stashed away that I fancy building in this GB and a Airfix Martin Marauder that might make an appearance too.

• Like 4

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring please. Just managed to get hold of a Heller-Humbrol 1:72 Spitfire XVIE off ebay (alas it didn't arrive in anything as interesting as a Tunnocks Teacakes box). It was the first model I ever made back in the mid-80s, so should bring back a few memories of tubes of polystyrene cement and spilt enamel paint.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm keen to enter this with the Matchbox Buccaneer I found last year.

I think it was the 2nd kit I ever built, and I've always wanted another. I totes with the idea to painting the sprues to match the moulded colours of the one I built, or an Operation Granby scheme.

• Like 3

Well to be honest over the last year and a bit I've re-visited most of the kits I've built as a kid,I've the Airfix Phantom and Vigilante in the stash which

bring back happy memories of the early seventies and my Vietnam war obsession,I've two original boxings of Ark Royal and Mauritania so is it time to

go Maritime for this GB?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Well to be honest over the last year and a bit I've re-visited most of the kits I've built as a kid,I've the Airfix Phantom and Vigilante in the stash which

bring back happy memories of the early seventies and my Vietnam war obsession,I've two original boxings of Ark Royal and Mauritania so is it time to

go Maritime for this GB?

It's got to be RMS Mauritania in dazzle camo surely? 😃

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jinxman said:

t's got to be RMS Mauritania in dazzle camo surely? 

Ha,not a chance JM,there's a story to it,the kit was a birthday present about 1969/70.Back then we would holiday one year stay at home the next and just

on day trip's which always meant my Dad taking me to the science museum in Newcastle which has the original shipwrights model. I would always get the 

story of my Dad being taken to see her leave the Tyne which must have been 1929 on her farewell visit,so he took an interest in the model as I (and I use the

word lightly)built it.so last year I picked up an original boxing on e-bay for £12 started it but didn't get far.

• Like 3

Hi guys,

With my marathon Lincoln conversion hopefully drawing to a close and only 5 other kits in the pipeline, I might just have time to have a stab at a couple of quickies here. As I opened some of Colourcoats Italian paints for my Macchi MC202 Folgore in the Frog GB, I thought I would use them before they have chance to dry out, so with luck I should build a Revell version of its predecessor the MC200 Saetta and to go with that the old Airfix Fiat G50 Freccia. I built both of these (not very well) when they first came out in my teens so I believe they would be eligible. More importantly they should be quick, unlike the Planet Models resin Avro Manchester I am just about to start! Oh well, I do have 5 weeks left in the Lanc GB and another 7 weeks or so before "In The Navy" ends, and the Spitfire/Seafire one has only just started, but then the Buccaneer one is looming on the horizon - good job I am stuck in the house for the moment! This pair will only take 2 or 3 days to build - it's the paint job that will take time as I will be using enamels.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Would the Revell rebox of the venerable Matchbox PK 401 He 115 be a valid one? I think this was the first I ever did. 

Or then, wait; I have an original PH 504 1/32 Lysander somewhere. Do we have to proof we did this as a kid? Add ons like Resin engines allowed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Would the Revell rebox of the venerable Matchbox PK 401 He 115 be a valid one? I think this was the first I ever did. 

Or then, wait; I have an original PH 504 1/32 Lysander somewhere. Do we have to proof we did this as a kid? Add ons like Resin engines allowed?

Either will be fine, a re-box is still very much allowed.

As for resin add ons we will have to wait for out leader ( @Dansk ) to give the yes or no, as for proof that you built it as a kid well we are just we'll just have to take your word on that won't we, and everyone else's :) .

• Like 1

What would be interesting as long as the kit is readily available and cheap would be to do two. One completely OOB and probably brush painted with the most basic tools etc just as you would have done back in the day. Then a second one with kit corrections, resin and decals etc etc as much as you want and put them side by side to see how far everyone and everything has moved between 19?? And 2020 ( or 189? In my case)

• Like 2