A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

Sounds good. I'll join in. Will have to think long and hard as I built so many. Virtually the entire Airfix Series one poly bag range for example.  Just need to go through my early Airfix catalogues to refresh my memory.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like just the sort of GB I should be in on - I think I've been building kits done as a kid for the last three years now. I've still got many of the old Airfix and Frog kits tucked away but they are all aircraft. Maybe I could do an armour build like the Centurion (my first tank) after a visit to ebay ? Put me down for that and I can change my kit choice later as required. Great idea for a GB!

I'll be interested, although sadly I have no evidence of any of the builds from my youth,. However, I did notice the recent or pending re-release of the Airfix Black Widow, a kit I remember enjoying immensely. There are of course many other options mostly Airfix it has to be said....so sign me up!

Well my Revell Me 109e in 1/72 arrived today so I am good to go. 

Really odd though. Plastic must shrink over time as it’s an original boxing (to get into the right frame of mind) and the box and kit was way bigger in 1963. :unsure:

After 1/32 for two decades I’ll need smaller fingers and a cataract operation :D

• Like 1

My first models where the Airfix 1/72 Concord and Red Arrow Hawk. The Concord took me a few hours, covered in finger prints. As soon as it was finished, I went out into the garden and threw it... It didn't fly as was expected and nose dived into the grass and snapped in half. Well I was 6 years old at the time! The Hawk I don't really remember what happened to that. 

Anyhow I purchased a Revell 1/72 Mil-24 Hind D that I built when I was probably 12-13 years old last night. Could be an option.

I'm interested in this one, sounds like a good idea.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2019 at 5:28 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

So i will need to find one in very good condition. Otherwise i have the Hasegawa kit as a backup.

hBelwaI.jpg

Its just that Gold colored Bear that i remember so much. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Marines/McDonnell-RF-4B-Phantom-II/1329601

Its just been a plane I've wanted to redo since 1985.

I was given this kit a few weeks ago so I'm set for the build, now lets hope it makes it through November. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 7:36 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Next, the GB goes into the bunfight in November.  :thumbsup: 

Hi @Enzo Matrix I just noticed this is labelled ’A kit you build as a kid’ rather then ‘a kit you built as a kid’ in the bunfight poll.

(which suggests the build is about acting in an extremely immature manner (that may well be the case anyway 😂),

whereas it’s actually about building a kit from your past,

So maybe you could change the labelling there :) or maybe I’m just being pedantic 🙃

Anyway If this goes through, I’m not sure what to do - maybe someone can co-host to help me out? 

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

Whats a mini_paintplan erwin?

should I add you to the list?

Yes,please add me.

The mini paintplan was an option in the matchbox kit to leave it all unpainted .

Thats why the plastic had two or three colours.

Just painting some minor parts (wheels,props,seats,etc...)

Well,that's how I did it when I was 14. Not sure if it was realy intended to be done that way.

73352326_2341885362604123_69369446377560

On the back of the box was the "full paintplan"

PK-023-5-02.jpg

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Yes,please add me.

The mini paintplan was an option in the matchbox kit to leave it all unpainted .

Thats why the plastic had two or three colours.

Just painting some minor parts (wheels,props,seats,etc...)

Well,that's how I did it when I was 14. Not sure if it was realy intended to be done that way.

73352326_2341885362604123_69369446377560

On the back of the box was the "full paintplan"

PK-023-5-02.jpg

Haha Awesome 😎 

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

What if I'm 16.... Then what? I think I might have broken this GB

I think you’ve just broken the internet with that conundrum. 🤪😁

Then I guess ‘technically’ you can build whatever you like according to the rules and its eligible in the Group Build so go ahead.

If I can remember back that far, then from a 16 year-olds POV, I would say you perhaps don’t regard yourself as a ‘kid’ and perhaps in the spirit of the build wish to build the first kit you made?

If that happens to be in this current year then we’ve definately broken the GB and the internet.

(And if you’re pulling my leg and nowhere near that young then good question it was a good one to think about) 👍😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I think you’ve just broken the internet with that conundrum. 🤪😁

Then I guess ‘technically’ you can build whatever you like according to the rules and its eligible in the Group Build so go ahead.

If I can remember back that far, then from a 16 year-olds POV, I would say you perhaps don’t regard yourself as a ‘kid’ and perhaps in the spirit of the build wish to build the first kit you made?

If that happens to be in this current year then we’ve definately broken the GB and the internet.

(And if you’re pulling my leg and nowhere near that young then good question it was a good one to think about) 👍😁

I am actually 16, probably the forum's youngest member. Not spared from the insanity of stashing kits and am currently cutting up a Vulcan to make a Vulcan B1a.

My first model was ~5 years ago, an Airfix Red Arrows Hawk. I got another in the stash. May as well do that one. May as well build the Gnat to go with it while I'm at it.

So yeah, count me in. When is this happening?

Edited by Adam Poultney

4 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I am actually 16, probably the forum's youngest member. Not spared from the insanity of stashing kits and am currently cutting up a Vulcan to make a Vulcan B1a.

My first model was ~5 years ago, an Airfix Red Arrows Hawk. I got another in the stash. May as well do that one. May as well build the Gnat to go with it while I'm at it

Fantastic that’s so cool. Great. 👍

Then it’s you and I both building hawks from different centuries if the GB goes through the bunfight. 

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

My first model was ~5 years ago, an Airfix Red Arrows Hawk. I got another in the stash. May as well do that one. May as well build the Gnat to go with it while I'm at it.

So yeah, count me in. When is this happening?

Aaah Adam I think I pull this title, July 22nd 2003! Good try though, (unless your younger than me) 

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

Fantastic that’s so cool. Great. 👍

Then it’s you and I both building hawks from different centuries if the GB goes through the bunfight.

Dansk, count me in, if its alright I'll work on a Bae hawk T.2, would also mention the other 2 hawks but there nearly finished now, just onto the paint.

Edited by Harrywilliams
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harrywilliams said:

Aaah Adam I think I pull this title, July 22nd 2003! Good try though, (unless your younger than me) 😂😂

Dansk, count me in, if its alright I'll work on a Bae hawk T.2, would also mention the other 2 hawks but there nearly finished now, just onto the paint.

Great Harry, sounds brilliant. I’ll count you in also with a third hawk.

fantastic with 2 guys under 18 👍

• Like 1