A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

I would like to propose a group build: ‘A kit you built as a kid’ (let’s classify this as before the age of 18)

(i don’t know if this has been done before - if it has please delete this post.)

But that childhood build should be memoral for you, and hence accompanied with a story of why and when in your first post.

The participant should track down the specific kit (which could be in later-guise for example a reboxing, or added parts / decals in a later re-issue but essentially the ‘same kit’.) 

One can build the kit to any standard (of course it does not need to echo the child-like technique or finish of the original build (but can do if you so wish).

This can be aircraft, armour, maritime, space and sci-fi.... indeed anything.

To offer an example and inspiration; mine was a period airfix hawk.

after seeing the 1986 series ‘test pilot’ link here.. 

I ran down to the LHS and wanted to buy a hawk.

I vividly remember spending my pocket money on the 1:72 airfix hawk, red gloss humbrol enamel, black gloss humbrol enamel, white gloss humbrol enamel, 1 paintbrush and and some squeezable plastic cement and within hours i proudly had a finger-print ridden glossy red-arrows hawk. That started my youth model-making.

I think this could be a really fun group build and nostalgic experience peppered with interesting tales.

List so far:

@Dansk Airfix hawk 1/72 HOST

34 @modelling minion tba CO-HOST

56 @Hewy Revell Space Shuttle & Matchbox Gnat CO-HOST

@Sturmovik Bf 109G-10 in 1:48 from Revell

@helios16v Monogram A-10 1/48

@vppelt68 tba

@Corsairfoxfouruncle phantom rf-4b

@Foxbat matchbox pz.kpfw / hurricane IIc

@Valkyriemultiple options

@Scargsy tamiya panther

@Caerbannog airfix u2

10 @Bonhoff multiple options

11 @uncletommy monogram ford tri-motor

12 @Arniec matchbox multiple options

13 @Nocoolname multiple options

14 @JosephLalor Jetstream c-10

15 @Panther II  jet

16 @VMA131Marine airfix 1/72 chipmunk

17 @JOCKNEY b-17g airfix 1/72

18 @Fatboydim tba

19 @JohnT revell 1/72

20 @Mig Eater  1/48 revell b1-b

21 @zebra airfix comet / vc-10 / bae 1-11

22 @stevej60 revell seafire / airfix seaking

23 @exdraken Revell F-15 /  F-117

24 @Paul J tba

25 @NorwegianWood tba

26 @Ventora3300 tba

27 @MarkSH Airfix

28 @MaxHeadroom Airfix JU-52

29 @JohnT Revell Me109e

30 @Dazzio Revell 1/72 Mil-24 Hind D tbc

31 @Erwin Matchbox Me 109 E

32 @Adam Poultney airfix red arrows hawk (and gnat)

33 @Harrywilliams hawk t2

35 @PhantomBigStu esci f8 / matchbox mystere

36 @Hockeyboy76 airfix 1/72 harrier in snow camouflage

37 @Ozzy airfix 1/72 pe2

38 @TonyW airfix sterling

39 @AdrianMF  1/48 Inpact/Life-Like Bulldog or an Airfix Hudson

40 @Jb65rams   Tamiya's 1/35 Panzer Kampfwagen II

41 @Rafwaffe oldschool matchbox/hasegawa

42 @PeterB Airfix G50 and the Revell MC. 200

43 @MarkSH Airfix’s ‘Greif’

44 @Adrian Hills matchbox boeing P12e or Land of the Giants ‘Spindrift’

45 @klr one of a hundred candidates!

46 @Franz75 something matchbox

47 @Romeo Alpha Yankee airfix b-17 / airfix boston

48 @JohnT loads to choose from...

49 @Ted revell spad / fokker dr1, tamiya tiger, italeri elefant sp gun. If he can find them

50 @Jinxman 1/72 Airfix Bf 109G double build

51 @Beazer Revellogram P-61

52 @vppelt68 TBA

53 @TommyF TBA

54 @JMChladek Revell 1/72 F4U Corsair

(probably)
55 @malpaso TBA 

57 @moviedrone Revell USS Voyager

58 @wimbledon99 Tomcat

59 @Enzo Matrix Tunnocks Tea Cakes

60 @GREG DESTEC 1/32 Revell Hurricane 1 

61 @bobster Matchbox Bristol Beaufighter & Airfix Martin Marauder

62 @Bonehammer TBC

63 @monsjmse Heller-Humbrol 1:72 Spitfire XVIE

& more.. (can’t keep the list up to date...)

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like a great idea. I remember building when I was younger the Revell Bf 109E-4 in 1:72 and the huge 1:32 Ju 88A-1 (twice). I may have had 14 with the first one, and 15 and 17 respectively with the 88s. I'm 23 btw.

• Like 1

I actually picked up a 1/48 Monogram A-10 from a model show a couple years ago with these exact sentiments.  They used to fly over the house when I was growing up all the time.  I had to have one.  The first one I built back in the late '80s/early '90s is long gone, but I'm keen to build another one up someday.

Hello @Dansk Why not ... I need to add an RF-4B from VMFP-3 to my collection. Just love the green tail and had one when i was about 13. tqYhJ2d.jpg

This is an example of the markings. The kit i had was Testers/Italeri and I would have to find one. At least according to the group build rules you've listed. In the off chance i am unable to find the Italeri kit could i use the hasegawa kit ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Sounds fun. My entry would either be the Matchbox 1/76 Pz.kpfw IIF still available in a Revell box, or the Matchbox Hurricane IIc if I can find one.

I built the former several times, and it kindled my interest in both the desert war, and the sand based schemes that I've tried to apply to everything ever since :D The last one has survived several house moves and still sits proudly on the shelf today but the scenic base is lost to history.

I also remember being very proud of the Hurricane I built, as despite being basically overall Night, it actually had 13 different colours on it; I painted in the all the lights and every detail I could find to get the count as high as possible.

Andy

All nostalgic

What fab idea!! Count me in.

I can remember every kit I build as a kid:

Airfix bf109 the first...I painted it black and yellow enamels, can still remember the smell, the feel of the paint on my hands and my grandfathers mixture of disapproval and chuckling. All built and painted in an hour. Then;

Jaguar and Tornado...again built and painted in a day on holiday in Blackpool.

USN Kamen and a Westland Scout choppers (see the former on fleabay all the time and think about it)

Airfix Tomahawk built with my dad at Christmas while he watched the Alamo and said aye that’s good every time I asked.

MiG 25 and P51 with silver paint...and another Christmas build extravangza a phantom in white plastic that got decals and no paint and German half track that was too hard and I cried until my uncle helped...

These are the highlights...Scottish nationals in a fortnight, I am sure I could track down some of these 80s kits to enter..

• Like 1

Sure, sounds like fun - the last kits I remember building before 18 (and taking a massive break of almost 20 years) would be either a Lamborghini Countach (I'd have to track down kit make) or Tamiya Panther, Walker Bulldog or US Utility Truck (modern jeep) - all of which are still available and cheap, the Panther I guess I could do in the specific GB already planned.

Edited by Scargsy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a great idea.

Built loads of Airfix's and Matchbox's output before my 18th, by which point I'd just progressed onto Tamiya and Hasegawa offerings.

Might be tricky if you want proof of the original build though as a load got binned when I left the family pile...

IanJ

Great idea!  Just the other day I was thinking of picking up a copy of the first kit I ever built.  This would give me the perfect excuse to do it again sans glue blobs and finger prints.

I grew up in Florida and like all good kids there, I had to learn to swim so I took lessons at our local public pool.  One day, my dad and I were at the pool swimming and he challenged me that if I could swim the entire 100 meter length of the pool without stopping, he'd buy me a model kit.  I'd had my eye on a particular kit in the local toy store so this challenge was a perfect opportunity to score a kit without having to sacrifice my precious allowance.  I successfully managed to swim the entire pool length without stopping  and my dad, true to his word, bought me one of these:

46720488485_e4c949f589_z.jpg

I think I'll go see if I can find another one.  :penguin:

• Like 6

That is a great idea. I am in. 

As I was formost building Matchbox kits in my youth. So that will be again what I will build. As I still have around a hundred in my stash, it won't be a problem to pick one for this GB. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

I like uncletommy's idea of replicating his first build.  I'm in a position to to that as I have some Airfix Jetstreams,.  That was my first kit when I was about 9 in 1970.  I'm thinking of building it as the cancelled C-10 using the kit decals, wheels up with the prop blades left off.  That would leave me with spare blades to turn the other two into Jetstream 31s.  I suspect there would be rather more to that than just turning the front cowlings upside-down!

• Like 1

I was curious if you ever made a decision on my question in post #5 ? I was planning on building an RF-4B but the Testors/Italeri kit may be hard for me to find. There are only a couple of swap meets locally and i cant always get to them. Ebay is a possibility but depends on my $ situation and availability ?  My question falls to this. Hasegawa made the exact same model aircraft in the same markings. 

tqYhJ2d.jpg

That the Italeri kit did 35 years ago. Could i use the Hasegawa kit if i cant find the Italeri kit. If not i will have to find a different subject to fall back to in the off chance i cant get the Italeri kit. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi all, 

some exciting builds to be seen in the thread.

I have updated the first post with the list of interested parties and kit choices. Let’s see if we can gather the required numbers! 

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was curious if you ever made a decision on my question in post #5 ? I was planning on building an RF-4B but the Testors/Italeri kit may be hard for me to find. There are only a couple of swap meets locally and i cant always get to them. Ebay is a possibility but depends on my $ situation and availability ?  My question falls to this. Hasegawa made the exact same model aircraft in the same markings. 

tqYhJ2d.jpg

That the Italeri kit did 35 years ago. Could i use the Hasegawa kit if i cant find the Italeri kit. If not i will have to find a different subject to fall back to in the off chance i cant get the Italeri kit. 

Dennis

Thats totally fine dennis, a new release is all good in my book and within the spirit of the build. 

Edited by Dansk
  • Thanks 1

I've had a look through what amounts to my 'stash' to see what's there from my kid days and it's a choice between the 1/48 F-19 'Stealth Fighter' (yep, that Italeri one!), 1/48 F-15A Hasegawa Hi-Grade, Space Shuttle (Tamiya 1/100 or Revell 1/144) or Heller 1/50 Puma. Still undecided.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

I've had a look through what amounts to my 'stash' to see what's there from my kid days and it's a choice between the 1/48 F-19 'Stealth Fighter' (yep, that Italeri one!), 1/48 F-15A Hasegawa Hi-Grade, Space Shuttle (Tamiya 1/100 or Revell 1/144) or Heller 1/50 Puma. Still undecided.

Awesome. I remember building both the shuttle and the f-19 

Building Revell's 32nd Fw 190. That scale has become way too complex for me, so I'll stick with the smaller ones. I'll try getting the Bf 109E or Bf 109G-10 in 72, I also built that one when I was 15.

My entry would be the first kit I ever built: the Airfix 1/72 DHC-1 Chipmunk.

Surprisingly, to me, I have never built another one, although I think the original effort still exists somewhere among the items that have survived from my childhood.

• Like 1