This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Dansk

A kit you built as a kid GB - 25 April to 16 August

42 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

how often did we not know of a new release until  it was there on the shelf shouting

buy me! I still remember Airfix's Shooting star sitting on the counter with the latest delivery of kits never even made the shelf snapped it up there and then.

How true is that - certainly ramped the expectation factor on the way to whatever shop was stocking kits 

Mind you Steve - Airfix Shooting Star?  Jings, I had discovered girls by the time that came out :D  Youngster that you are

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Will you do an unpainted one ray? Haha could look great in the gallery a pure build when nicely photographed.
What a great and wide collection of builds this will yield.

Now that is an idea Paul, If I can find 2 of the Boston kits I could build one as I did back in the 70s and one 'dolled up' with paint! Or should I try it with B-29s :hmmm:

Time for some kit hunting....

On 2/13/2020 at 5:40 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Now that is an idea Paul, If I can find 2 of the Boston kits I could build one as I did back in the 70s and one 'dolled up' with paint! Or should I try it with B-29s :hmmm:

Time for some kit hunting....

Good idea to do both (of either subject) Ray 👍 really fun!

Tracking the out-of-production kits at a half-decent price is half the fun of the build i think 🤗

On 2/13/2020 at 4:29 AM, stevej60 said:

Saturday mornings for me Pat,paper round pay received get the morning round done then straight to the hardware shop and the "Airfix" corner,I could stand for a good hour making my mind up which one to buy,

Oh my Steve that totally brought a flood of memories back and clicked with me. My model store was a bright yellow painted toy shop, and similarly to you in a corner were the kits where i’d similarly spend equal amount of time deciding which one to get with my meagre paperround earnings or more sizeable birthday cash.

i vividly remember Humbrol enamels where next to the kits in those wire frame display units (the type where you pull up and out an olive drab and the remaining slide forward and fill its place at the front) and glue and brushes at the sales counter  -  presumably to stop substance abuse (I lived in a rough area) and... err..  ..brush theft?) 😁

Edited by Dansk

I was the kid who used to spend time organizing all those Matchbox kits in the shelves of the large department store in my hometown. The sales ladies didn't always like that! In the next block there was the hobby and toy shop whose proprietor was, and actually still today is, good enough to take constant care of his own shop.

There could not be a more poignant reference than this. This evening my girlfriend's ten year old lad sent me a picture of his 'first Airfix kit'  !!

49535965307_cfa8368f30_z.jpgIMG_0528 by arhills, on Flickr

QED

On 2/12/2020 at 12:17 AM, Ted said:

Great idea for a GB, I built lots of models but the only ones I remember clearly are:

1/28 Revell SPAD - age 9

1/28 Revell Fokker Dr1 - age 9

1/35 Tamiya Tiger tank - age 14

1/35 Italeri Elefant sp gun - age 14

If I find any of these at an upcoming model show/sale I'll pick one up and join.

Hey Ted

is this the italeri elefant gun?

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/italeri-military-1-35-211-sdkfz-184-panzerjager-elefant