Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Dansk

A kit you built as a kid GB - 25 April to 16 August

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Can you still get the Frog Typhoon?  No radiator insert, no cockpit, no pilot, straight view from radiator through the canopy and single piece rear stabiliser.   

Kingkit have one copy of F209F in stock currently, price £6.99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was curious if you ever made a decision on my question in post #5 ? I was planning on building an RF-4B but the Testors/Italeri kit may be hard for me to find. There are only a couple of swap meets locally and i cant always get to them. Ebay is a possibility but depends on my $ situation and availability ?  My question falls to this. Hasegawa made the exact same model aircraft in the same markings. 

tqYhJ2d.jpg

That the Italeri kit did 35 years ago. Could i use the Hasegawa kit if i cant find the Italeri kit. If not i will have to find a different subject to fall back to in the off chance i cant get the Italeri kit. 

 

Dennis

What if we did a Britain’s got talent Amnesty stash swap? I was thinking I remember every kit I made as a kid but I can remember one kit I didn’t make as a kid that was a Fw190 matchbox. I can remember the actual date I first saw it 26th January 1991 in a John Menzies shop after my first football match. There must be a few people out there who have this kit and will never build? Just an idea....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

What if we did a Britain’s got talent Amnesty stash swap? I was thinking I remember every kit I made as a kid but I can remember one kit I didn’t make as a kid that was a Fw190 matchbox. I can remember the actual date I first saw it 26th January 1991 in a John Menzies shop after my first football match. There must be a few people out there who have this kit and will never build? Just an idea....

Well this is the original boxing with the VMFP-3 Decals. 

JkGPvIK.jpg

So i will need to find one in very good condition. Otherwise i have the Hasegawa kit as a backup.

hBelwaI.jpg

Its just that Gold colored Bear that i remember so much. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Marines/McDonnell-RF-4B-Phantom-II/1329601

Its just been a plane I've wanted to redo since 1985.

 

Dennis

 

EDIT: found these as well, 

 

rigpUT4.jpg

 

If i can find them that also is an option ? 

 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, My 1st kit. Can't remember the kit or manufacturer but I remember it was a jet, maybe U.S. navy with airbrakes. Bought it from salvation army 5 or 6 years ago.

Edited by Panther II

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

My entry would be the first kit I ever built: the Airfix 1/72 DHC-1 Chipmunk.

 

Surprisingly, to me, I have never built another one, although I think the original effort still exists somewhere among the items that have survived from my childhood.

Could be fantastic to find that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great idea for a Group Build.

Very well timed with some Airfix Vintage Classics being released at the moment. These include, armour, ships and aircraft. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well this is the original boxing with the VMFP-3 Decals. 

JkGPvIK.jpg

So i will need to find one in very good condition. Otherwise i have the Hasegawa kit as a backup.

hBelwaI.jpg

Its just that Gold colored Bear that i remember so much. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Marines/McDonnell-RF-4B-Phantom-II/1329601

Its just been a plane I've wanted to redo since 1985.

 

Dennis

 

EDIT: found these as well, 

 

rigpUT4.jpg

 

If i can find them that also is an option ? 

 

Sounds good to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

What a great idea for a Group Build.

Very well timed with some Airfix Vintage Classics being released at the moment. These include, armour, ships and aircraft. 

 

 

Should i add your name to the entrants @Fatboydim? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodness me, this brings back some memories. 

 

I think if if I had to choose one kit to take me back to being a nipper, when you put your latest build on the ceiling, partly to admire it and partly to protect it from mums dusting, it would have to be this one;

 

IMG_4354

picture from Scalemates 

 

I had Japanese fighters attacking it on one side and German ones on the other !

 

Please add me to the list.

 

cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dansk said:

Should i add your name to the entrants @Fatboydim? 🤔

Yes please Paul. I'm undecided on which kit at the moment. I'll let you know at a later date if that's ok please? 

I'm looking through my Seventh edition, Airfix catalogue and can't make my mind up! 

Thank you, Joe. 

 

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Goodness me, this brings back some memories. 

 

I think if if I had to choose one kit to take me back to being a nipper, when you put your latest build on the ceiling, partly to admire it and partly to protect it from mums dusting, it would have to be this one;

 

IMG_4354

picture from Scalemates 

 

I had Japanese fighters attacking it on one side and German ones on the other !

 

Please add me to the list.

 

cheers Pat

What a great kit that was!  Being a Series 5 kit, this was reserved for big occasions like Christmas, or my birthday.

If I recall correctly, this model had retractable undercarriage, revolving gun turrets, movable control surfaces, and I think the control panel was printed on the instruction sheet. This could be cut out and glued on the instrument panel. 

Joe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome pat, i remember pining after this kit in it’s series 8 ‘photo’ boxing. Looking forward to seeing that come alive!

great Joe I’ll add you to the list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite fancy this as at present half of the family worldly possessions including my stash and all references are in secure storage while we bunk into a tiny cottage pending planning etc and a new build house going up in the field next door.  Modelling space is pretty non existent and time restricted so my usual scale of 1/32 aint happening any time soon.

 

This would let me build in 1/72 and something not too sophisticated as its a 1960s kit that I will need to select.

 

I am hard pressed to think back to the very first one I built but I have fond recollection of going along the street to the newsagents who stocked those early Revell kits.  You remember the "red" mustang for one.  It was there I first saw and tried my hand at WW! biplanes. so probably one or two of those.  I see the first 1960 boxings still come up on flea bay quiet inexpensively too.  

 

No airbrushing required too !

 

Count me in !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnT said:

I quite fancy this as at present half of the family worldly possessions including my stash and all references are in secure storage while we bunk into a tiny cottage pending planning etc and a new build house going up in the field next door.  Modelling space is pretty non existent and time restricted so my usual scale of 1/32 aint happening any time soon.

 

This would let me build in 1/72 and something not too sophisticated as its a 1960s kit that I will need to select.

 

I am hard pressed to think back to the very first one I built but I have fond recollection of going along the street to the newsagents who stocked those early Revell kits.  You remember the "red" mustang for one.  It was there I first saw and tried my hand at WW! biplanes. so probably one or two of those.  I see the first 1960 boxings still come up on flea bay quiet inexpensively too.  

 

No airbrushing required too !

 

Count me in !

Great john sounds ideal. i’ll put you down as a 1/72 revell kit ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to enter with one of the first models that I built as a kid was, the Revell 1/48 B-1b Lancer, a beast of a model that is nearly a meter long. My dad had originally bought it with the intention of making it for my older brother, he only got as far as the first few steps through & then stopped. About 15 years later I found it stashed away in the attic & finished building it, years later It was then unfortunately destroyed during one of my nephews toddler tantrums. I've been wanting to build one again since I got back into modelling, but they have been hard to find. Revell recently announced that they will be re-releasing it with new PE parts through, so I'm looking forward to finally getting one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I'd like to enter with one of the first models that I built as a kid was, the Revell 1/48 B-1b Lancer, a beast of a model that is nearly a meter long. My dad had originally bought it with the intention of making it for my older brother, he only got as far as the first few steps through & then stopped. About 15 years later I found it stashed away in the attic & finished building it, years later It was then unfortunately destroyed during one of my nephews toddler tantrums. I've been wanting to build one again since I got back into modelling, but they have been hard to find. Revell recently announced that they will be re-releasing it with new PE parts through, so I'm looking forward to finally getting one.  

Fantastic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in. Great idea for a group build. I have a couple of Airfix kits that I bought with the Airfix classics GB in mind but didn’t get to - the Comet (3rd kit I built - an aunt gave me a few quid for my 7th birthday and I went out and bought an Airfix VC-10 and Comet the next day. The Comet was the first time I followed the instructions!) and the BAC 1-11. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zebra said:

I’m in. Great idea for a group build. I have a couple of Airfix kits that I bought with the Airfix classics GB in mind but didn’t get to - the Comet (3rd kit I built - an aunt gave me a few quid for my 7th birthday and I went out and bought an Airfix VC-10 and Comet the next day. The Comet was the first time I followed the instructions!) and the BAC 1-11. 

A super nostalgic build zebra 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well when you get to my age the choice run's into hundred,s but picking out one's that get that warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia Airfix's Seaking 66

built one Saturday morning around the time of the moon landing's with a running commentry for my (underwhelmed) Dad trying to watch the cricket.

Revell's 1/32 Seafire bought for me in 71 for my birthday is another happy memory,put me down for this one and I promise whatever I build will be a blister

or poly bagged kit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Well when you get to my age the choice run's into hundred,s but picking out one's that get that warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia Airfix's Seaking 66

built one Saturday morning around the time of the moon landing's with a running commentry for my (underwhelmed) Dad trying to watch the cricket.

Revell's 1/32 Seafire bought for me in 71 for my birthday is another happy memory,put me down for this one and I promise whatever I build will be a blister

or poly bagged kit!

Awesome steve i’m looking forward to that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), my choice of model was influenced by a Commando book or a war film.

I would buy a kit, and build it as soon as I got home from Woolworths. They were just glued together, no painting whatsoever.

I would put the decals on, and that would be it, finished and ready for flight!  I didn't care about if it was accurate or not, I just had fun making it. I made a model exactly the same a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. 

 

BmGLPEK.jpg

 

As a kid, I remember reading the book above. I knew what kit I intended to get the following Saturday! It was the Airfix Wildcat so I could reenact the action! 

 

5P247js.jpg

 

The above model is the new Airfix Wildcat that I made one Saturday afternoon a couple of years back. Just the way I did in the 1960s. 

I didn't get bogged down with details, correct paint colours or harness, I just slapped it together in a couple of hours.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

The above model is the new Airfix Wildcat

Had to do a double take at first ! I thought you had done this up as one of the RN Squadrons. I think 805 based in North Africa. The wildcats stayed in USN pale grey.  Until they got the midstone & dark earth uppers. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Had to do a double take at first ! I thought you had done this up as one of the RN Squadrons. I think 805 based in North Africa. The wildcats stayed in USN pale grey.  Until they got the midstone & dark earth uppers. 

That's interesting, I never knew that. I can see why you took a double take.

The unpainted model looks like a USN pale grey finish. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @fat boy dim... My sincerest apologies, i went and corrected the misspelling error. The one in my post that you quoted. That's why its listing me as editing your post. If you wish to report it i will accept the moderators judgement. 

 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @fat boy dim... My sincerest apologies, i went and corrected the misspelling error. The one in my post that you quoted. That's why its listing me as editing your post. If you wish to report it i will accept the moderators judgement. 

 

Dennis

Hello Dennis, you have nothing to apologise for. I didn't even notice. So please don't worry. 

I found it very interesting and informative that the Royal Navy flew the Wildcats in USN colours before being repainted.

Thank you, and please don't think I was in away offended.

 

Regards, Joe. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm Revell F-15A in tiger meet markings... 1/144? Or a bit later the F-117.... in  1/48 already!

Maybe the reason I still do mainly 48th?? I still have it somwhere I guess.... really struggled with the PE 20 something years back 

..

Edited by exdraken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...