A kit you built as a kid GB Chat

42 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

how often did we not know of a new release until  it was there on the shelf shouting

buy me! I still remember Airfix's Shooting star sitting on the counter with the latest delivery of kits never even made the shelf snapped it up there and then.

How true is that - certainly ramped the expectation factor on the way to whatever shop was stocking kits 

Mind you Steve - Airfix Shooting Star?  Jings, I had discovered girls by the time that came out :D  Youngster that you are

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Will you do an unpainted one ray? Haha could look great in the gallery a pure build when nicely photographed.
What a great and wide collection of builds this will yield.

Now that is an idea Paul, If I can find 2 of the Boston kits I could build one as I did back in the 70s and one 'dolled up' with paint! Or should I try it with B-29s :hmmm:

Time for some kit hunting....

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 5:40 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Now that is an idea Paul, If I can find 2 of the Boston kits I could build one as I did back in the 70s and one 'dolled up' with paint! Or should I try it with B-29s :hmmm:

Time for some kit hunting....

Good idea to do both (of either subject) Ray 👍 really fun!

Tracking the out-of-production kits at a half-decent price is half the fun of the build i think 🤗

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 4:29 AM, stevej60 said:

Saturday mornings for me Pat,paper round pay received get the morning round done then straight to the hardware shop and the "Airfix" corner,I could stand for a good hour making my mind up which one to buy,

Oh my Steve that totally brought a flood of memories back and clicked with me. My model store was a bright yellow painted toy shop, and similarly to you in a corner were the kits where i’d similarly spend equal amount of time deciding which one to get with my meagre paperround earnings or more sizeable birthday cash.

i vividly remember Humbrol enamels where next to the kits in those wire frame display units (the type where you pull up and out an olive drab and the remaining slide forward and fill its place at the front) and glue and brushes at the sales counter  -  presumably to stop substance abuse (I lived in a rough area) and... err..  ..brush theft?) 😁

Edited by Dansk
  • Haha 3

I was the kid who used to spend time organizing all those Matchbox kits in the shelves of the large department store in my hometown. The sales ladies didn't always like that! In the next block there was the hobby and toy shop whose proprietor was, and actually still today is, good enough to take constant care of his own shop.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2020 at 12:17 AM, Ted said:

Great idea for a GB, I built lots of models but the only ones I remember clearly are:

1/28 Revell SPAD - age 9

1/28 Revell Fokker Dr1 - age 9

1/35 Tamiya Tiger tank - age 14

1/35 Italeri Elefant sp gun - age 14

If I find any of these at an upcoming model show/sale I'll pick one up and join.

Hey Ted

is this the italeri elefant gun?

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/italeri-military-1-35-211-sdkfz-184-panzerjager-elefant

@Dansk Would you put me on the list please? I'll be doing a 1/72 Airfix Bf 109G double build - one built as it would have been back in the day, hairy stick mottling and all that, and another hacked about to within an inch of its life to bring it, (sort of), up to date. 😀 🔨

• Like 1

Jesus, this one is going to be here before I know it.  I hope I can find the time to get some others cleared out by the start.

It might be time to start planning the loadout for the Hog.  :waiting:

13 hours ago, Jinxman said:

@Dansk Would you put me on the list please? I'll be doing a 1/72 Airfix Bf 109G double build - one built as it would have been back in the day, hairy stick mottling and all that, and another hacked about to within an inch of its life to bring it, (sort of), up to date. 😀 🔨

Done 👍

That’s gonna be great fun to follow. It will look so cool in the gallery the two versions.

it will be interesting to see if the period one gets more votes than the modern detailed build 🤔😁

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

Jesus, this one is going to be here before I know it.  I hope I can find the time to get some others cleared out by the start.

It might be time to start planning the loadout for the Hog.  :waiting:

Same here. Too many great GBs that I to need participate in! 🤪

• Haha 1

Oh snap!  I actually just found decals for the A-10s of the 131st TFS in the Euro 1 scheme based out of Massachusetts.  Those birds used to fly over the house I grew up in on a regular basis during the '80s/early '90s.  Talk about perfect for the GB.  :coolio:

• Like 2

I still stand at "to be decided/announced" re my chosen kit :hmmm:. There are several options:

1. Revell 1:72 B-24D +: I have a pic of myself building one at age 9 -: kit availability and price
  2. Revell Midway aircraft carrier +: I have a pic of myself at age 10 with the built kit in my hands -: kit price and general clunkyness of a big kit, it doesn´t tempt...
  3. Revell 1:72 F-4B "Diamondbacks" +: I still love that boxart and scheme!!! -: kit availability, at least in this scheme, and it´s the only option for me!
  4. Hasegawa B-17F +: kit availability/price, still a good kit -: to be honest I was a few months past 18 when I built one... the Lutheran moral strikes pt.1
  5. Matchbox B-17G +: kit availability/price -: actually I only watched in envy as my good friend built one and I didn´t, I was well under 18 though... the moral strike pt. 2!

So my most likely options are numbers 1 and 3. April IS next month, though, so I need to get my act together soon! V-P

• Like 3

On 3/2/2020 at 11:20 AM, vppelt68 said:

I still stand at "to be decided/announced" re my chosen kit :hmmm:. There are several options:

1. Revell 1:72 B-24D +: I have a pic of myself building one at age 9 -: kit availability and price
  2. Revell Midway aircraft carrier +: I have a pic of myself at age 10 with the built kit in my hands -: kit price and general clunkyness of a big kit, it doesn´t tempt...
  3. Revell 1:72 F-4B "Diamondbacks" +: I still love that boxart and scheme!!! -: kit availability, at least in this scheme, and it´s the only option for me!
  4. Hasegawa B-17F +: kit availability/price, still a good kit -: to be honest I was a few months past 18 when I built one... the Lutheran moral strikes pt.1
  5. Matchbox B-17G +: kit availability/price -: actually I only watched in envy as my good friend built one and I didn´t, I was well under 18 though... the moral strike pt. 2!

So my most likely options are numbers 1 and 3. April IS next month, though, so I need to get my act together soon! V-P

#4 could probably squeeze past the judges on a good day but #5 we’d have to change the GB to “A kit i jealously watched my good mate build when I was a kid” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it 😂 LOL

maybe we should post pics of the kits we’re after then others may know where to get them, or better still they have one to trade?

is the revell f-4b this?...

spacer.png

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Count me in :) My memories of modelling as a kid are a little hazy but these I do remember;

Matchbox AH-1 Huey Cobra

Airfix F86D Sabre (with the teeth - and the lovely silver finish)

A Heinkel HE-111 which I'm sure I made a mess of and didn't finish (I'll revisit this in the STGB later in the year)

Plus a Tomcat F14 with movable wings, a Mosquito, a Red Arrows Gnat and a M26 Tank

The one that stands out and gets me dewy eyed is the Airfix F86D Sabre - just need to track one down now

• Like 2

On 3/3/2020 at 9:13 PM, Dansk said:

...but #5 we’d have to change the GB to “A kit i jealously watched my good mate build when I was a kid” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it ...

Good idea – in my case that would have been watching him building Tamiya 1/12 racing cars, Tamiya 1/32 Phantoms and other exotica.  My mate was an only child so expensive kits weren’t just at Birthdays or Christmas for him.  Still at least I knew there were other makes than Airfix by the age of nine or so…

Back on topic, I have a few repeats available in my stash.  I built the 70s 1/72 Vb and 109e again for the last Airfix GB so I’ll see if I can choose something different.  I doubt I’d find period US kits like MPC’s “Super Dualie” or “Force 440” police car easily again, where is Beattie’s when you need it…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I may just have to take part in this. I recently found an example of the very first kit I did, a Revell 1/72 F4U Corsair kit. Baa Baa Blacksheep was on at the time and my brother "helped" me to build this one when I was 6 years old (i.e. he did most of the work, I helped, but I learned a lot).

Runner up will be the box scale B-24 kit Revell did and Atlantis just reissued. While I had help with the paint, that one I did most of the building on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMChladek said:

I may just have to take part in this. I recently found an example of the very first kit I did, a Revell 1/72 F4U Corsair kit. Baa Baa Blacksheep was on at the time and my brother "helped" me to build this one when I was 6 years old (i.e. he did most of the work, I helped, but I learned a lot).

Runner up will be the box scale B-24 kit Revell did and Atlantis just reissued. While I had help with the paint, that one I did most of the building on.

Hello JM... There is also a Corsair group build coming up in may. Up to you but if youre interested heres the link. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038379-f4u-corsair-stgb-official-dates-are-29-may-30-august-2020/

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...