Mig 21 Airfix 1:72

Latest build folks the ancient Airfix Mig 21....  Fun build ...  Many thanks to the extremely kind gents on this site via the wanted adds for the decals.

My wife got me this via evilbay very cheap, but lacked decals and tail damaged. - re-built with good old Millput. 

The build:

The canopy was a pig, as massive gap between parts and at an angle, I built up gap with white PVA.

Brush painted Humbrol 108 and 27, thin coats of 11 silver to finish..   some crushed pastel used for light weathering.

Stand used from an old Frog kit, I felt this worked better in flight mode.  I've only used PVA on the doors so at a later date may use the undercarriage and the drop tank.

For now left off the Attol missiles, but may add them later...  It looks more like it's just been on a mission without them..

First attempt at a modernish jet fighter....  

DSC_0490

_20190405_153008_20190405_153008DSC_0501

DSC_0509 DSC_0521

Atolls added...

Edited by Hairtrigger
More pics
  • Like 19

Hi Hairtrigger,

I like these old kits, gaps under the canopy and all.

Did you remove the rivets, or did you get the only Airfix kit without a single pustule?! Skin surface looks just right.

Anyway, congrats for getting such a good result considering "modern" aircraft are not you usual diet!

Keep having fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Hairtrigger,

I like these old kits, gaps under the canopy and all.

Did you remove the rivets, or did you get the only Airfix kit without a single pustule?! Skin surface looks just right.

Anyway, congrats for getting such a good result considering "modern" aircraft are not you usual diet!

Keep having fun!

JR

The fuselage was pretty good really considering the age of the kit.   The canopy though as mentioned is awful, but I learnt if you persevere with PVA you can rectify a poor canopy...  The canopy was misty and scratched as well, I left it over night in a bath of CIF floor cleaner, this worked remarkably well...

Ahhh from the gems of knowledge from this site other modellers pass on...

I fancy doing a Mirage 3 in Israeli markings next.....  Any recommendations on kit manufacturer in 1:72?

Hi Hairtrigger,

not as many Mirage III in 1/72 as there are Spitfire, I am afraid. The Heller kit was quite fine really, but I believe the PJ Production Mirage III series are a hell of a lot better, although the panel lines would seem to be pretty deep.

I would go for the latter if I were to build such a model. As it stands, I am still trying to finish the Heller 1/48 Mirage IIIC... Like half a day a month trying to tidy my poor effort at rescribing the kit... 

God luck with your Mirage hunt!

JR

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

That's a tidy looking build of an old favourite. That FROG stand will have to go though.

Tony, Picky beyond belief.

I didn't think the stand looked too bad....  Ideally could do with one of those clear plastic Airfix ones though.