Victor antenna, lumps and bumps.

I like to know what things are before I glue them to a model and these have me stumped.

What are the antenna on the top of the Victor K2, specifically the “rail” assembly? Also, what are the two small domes for?

The larger of the two domes on top of the fuselage is an access panel for the fuselage fuel proportioners which are part of the fuel transfer system.

Sadly I can't remember what the second panel is.

XVTonker 

OK, now I'm able to look at this on a bigger screen...

Working back from the IFR probe:

1. The small blade antenna on the top of the fuselage roughly above the cockpit looks like a comm's aerial, possibly standby UHF

2. The one further aft on the fuselage level with the intake at an angle to the vertical is also a comm's aerial, this is a fairly common one which can be found across a lot of fleets and is a combined V/UHF antenna (two aerials in one fairing), it was often used singly for the UHF system.  There's another one on the underside just behind the nose-gear doors.

3.  Larger dome, as John @xvtonker says.

4.  Smaller dome don't know but as I'm guessing the towel rail is an ADF sense aerial, I wouldn't be too surprised if this is an ADF loop aerial.

5.  As mentioned, probably an ADF Sense aerial.

The caveat is that I never worked on Victors, my knowledge is based on being an ex-RAF Fairy (Avionics technician), things like aerials were GFE (Government Furnished Equipment) and were used across a number of platforms and therefore matched to common systems.  My guesses are based on matching what I see to my own trade knowledge.

The Victor did use another parabolic navigation aid which had a lozenge shaped aerial which would look dome like from that sort of view, this was the Omega system but I have no idea where the aerial was fitted - it could be the second, smaller dome?

Hopefully another ex-Victor mate will come along and enlighten us all?

• Like 1

After six years on Victor K.2's at RAF Marham I'm pretty clued up on all things Victor but that second domed panel is causing me some grief.

I have some recollection that there was some kind of aerial or it had something to do with the navigation system under there. I can only remember that panel being removed once in all the time I served on them.

XVTonker 

• Like 1