1:72 Aki Products Hawker Sea Fury FB.11

Hi mates,

In the midst of my build of the Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire, I decided to tackle a small side project, and one I've been wanting to do for some time. This is the 1:72 resin kit from Aki Products in Japan of the Hawker Sea Fury FB.11. There are a few articles and reviews on-line about this kit, and I can say one thing - believe what you read. This is an outstanding kit, and the best replica of the Sea Fury that can be had in 1:72 scale as of this writing. In fact, this kit surpasses many injection moulded kits in detail, quality, and fit. It's that good. Unfortunately, I don't think this kit is still in production, so the price (when you can find it) is a bit crazy. OK, a lot crazy. But I'm stupid, so I bought it.

I chose the Royal Australian Navy display aircraft circa 1961 for the markings, and I made sure to go by actual period photographs and not from the restored warbirds that have worn this scheme at one time or another. The overall Oxford Blue scheme was too hard to pass up. As you look at the photos, you may notice that the flaps are down in some, up in others. This is because the flaps are hinged on the model, and can be posed where you like. The metal rods used as the axle of the flap hinges are actually cast into the resin - a clever bit of engineering and some nice quality control to pull it off.

Special thanks to @NAVY870 and @Paul Bradley for their help in this build. Without their sage advice, old Navy Bird would have been naughty and done something silly on more than one occasion.

Project: Royal Australian Navy Hawker Sea Fury FB.11

Kit: Aki Products Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 (kit no. A.P.4)
Scale: 1:72 (If God had intended others he wouldn't have made my thumbs so big)
Decals: Xtradecal Sheet No. X72074 depicting RAN WH589/115 724 NAS Nowra circa 1961
Paint: MRP 183 Oxford Blue; Gunze H11 Flat White, H12 Flat Black, H77 Tyre Black, H329 Yellow FS13538, H90 Clear Red, H94 Clear Green, 75% H34 Cream Yellow & 25% H11 White (for the Hawker Primer), MC219 Brass; Alclad 101 Aluminum, 115 Stainless Steel; Floquil 110015 Flat Finish; Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black, and a bunch I forgot about.
Weathering: None. This was a display aircraft.

Improvements/Corrections

This was built pretty much out of the box, the only things I added were:

• Whip aerials (two under the wings and one on top of the vertical tail)
  • Portion of engine mounts seen through the open cooling doors
  • Interior ribbing on the engine access covers
  • Open clasps on the lower access covers
  • Support cables and rods to keep access covers open
  • Posed the tailwheel turned a bit

Build thread: Link

Now, let's see some photos! Enjoy!

IMG_2948

IMG_2940

IMG_2945

IMG_2951

IMG_2946

IMG_2961

IMG_2959

IMG_2960

IMG_2956

IMG_2954

IMG_2949

IMG_2941

IMG_2944

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 68
  • Thanks 2

T'was a real joy watching this come together and equally pleasing to see this beautiful model finished off so wonderfully well. Congratulations Bill, another high class completion to add to your many others. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

I love the way you churn out masterpieces as "side projects" :worthy: :worthy: 

I can't really wait to see what you will do with the big Spitfire ... :whistle:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Absolutely perfect, l did think about doing my 1/48 Airfix kit in that scheme but it wouldn’t have turned out as well as yours. 1/72? You’re ‘avin a larf!

Pete

Edited by Buzby061
  • Thanks 1

Bill that is a beautiful model from a superb looking kit. Superb detailing! Well worth whatever you paid for it.

I learn something every day - didn't know that the Roos were orientated that way on the wing roundels.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

Wow Bill,....... another beauty for your collection there and it looks superb in the Aussie display scheme,....... thanks for sharing it with us,...... one to be proud of there mate!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Absolutely stunning Bill. A superb model of a superb aircraft. This is the first time I’ve been able to get on BM since arriving in Japan 10 days ago and having caught up on the WIP, it’s great to see this finished!

Terry

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CJP said:

She's turned out to be a beautiful model in your hands Bill - what a shame this kit is no longer in production.

Thanks. You might still be able to find the kit, even though it's out of production. After some initial confusion, which I blame on either old age or inhalation of resin dust, I recalled that I bought this on-line from Model Factory Hiro. It was listed on their site as out-of-production, but to inquire about availability. So I did, and they found one somewhere. You can tell from the condition of the box (see the WIP) that it wasn't exactly new. But everything inside was still sealed in their individual bags.

16 hours ago, giemme said:

I love the way you churn out masterpieces as "side projects" :worthy: :worthy: 

I can't really wait to see what you will do with the big Spitfire ... :whistle:

Thanks. Whenever I do a BIG project, like the Tamiya Spit, I like to take a breather now and then and do some smaller models. I guess it's a form of Mojo Preservation.

16 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Just needs a large puddle of oil under it and it will be perfect.

Well done that man.

Thanks Steve, couldn't have pulled it off without your tutelage. I wonder if anyone makes 1:72 drip pans? Probably wouldn't be too hard to scratchbuild - where's my Evergreen stock?    :)

16 hours ago, Baldy said:

I learn something every day - didn't know that the Roos were orientated that way on the wing roundels.

Thanks, Malcolm. I always remember the orientation as feet down and in, face forward.

14 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

That's a beaut, Bill! 

Thanks Paul! Your book was not only a big help, but also very informative. Lots of stuff I didn't know - I should get out more often.

6 hours ago, CedB said:

How did I miss the WiP? Off for a look now…

Thanks Ced. As I mentioned over at the WIP, your absence is excused due to extenuating circumstances (read: Nimrod). Be certain to be present all the earlier for the next session, or I will have to report you to the proper authorities (a certain Martian fellow).

6 hours ago, Andwil said:

What's next?

Ah, the eternal question. For sure, I need to finish up the big Spit. Then I will stare at my stash and figure something out. 

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Wow Bill,....... another beauty for your collection there and it looks superb in the Aussie display scheme,....... thanks for sharing it with us,...... one to be proud of there mate!

Thank you Tony! When I grow up, I hope to match your modelling output.    :)

48 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Absolutely stunning Bill. A superb model of a superb aircraft. This is the first time I’ve been able to get on BM since arriving in Japan 10 days ago and having caught up on the WIP, it’s great to see this finished!

Ooh, Japan. Now you can buy Japanese model kits at the proper prices! Maybe you can find an Aki Sea Fury! They also made a Firebrand and some IJN subjects. My Sea Fury is the only one I've seen in the flesh, but I've read that the others are just as nice.

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I guess it's a form of Mojo Preservation.

For a split second I thought I read "Mojo Perversion" .... :coat:

Ciao

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, David Womby said:

I've read about this kit and their Firebrand.  You've built an amazingly good Se Fury from that.  Hard to believe it's 1/72.

For some reason the older I get the smaller 1:72 becomes...     :banghead:

4 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Very, very, very nice. You should be well chuffed.

Chuffed I be. Better than being 'cuffed, as we say on the street!      :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1