Tamiya 1:48 Sea Harrier Frs.1 - Fighter in name & nature

Sea Harrier Frs1 - Tamiya

Dug this out of the stash, with the intention of a fairly quick and easy winter build. How wrong I was, this is a pig of a kit and after reading all the various build threads, decided it was not going to beat me !!

First of all, purchased the Pavla Sea Harrier intakes and nozzles ( £6) and although designed for the airfix kit, they just about fit but as you can see, took a lot of filler and sanding.

No detail for the empty front wheel bay but this will be sorted later and the same goes for the rear however as someone pointed out, the main undercarraige doors can be shut on the real thing, when the wheels are down. This is a preffered option for me !!.

I also elected to paint up the Pegasus, as the kit shows that you can have a removable panel, in order to display it. Fit of this panel was awful, so I closed it up and added yet more weight with some filler.

The kit cockpit and seat are basic, so I just added bits n bobs from my spares box to give an impression of a Martin Baker seat. The pilot will be getting added at the end ( again after some serious cosmetic work )

Aden cannon fitted by eye, as there are no locating marks at all.

Canopy tacked on meantime and masked and the sanding has begun before first coat of primer.

First coat of primer added and shows up what work is required still, with regards any sort of detailing and or panel lines.

As of today, this is where I am at. Spent ages sanding and still some small problem areas to work on but this model has given me the chance to try out a new tool. The Tamiya rescriber in the background has been used for the first time and is very sharp and cuts through the plastic easily ( sometimes too easily ).

Getting the hang of it but this is not an easy model to scribe, for a beginer, due to my lack of experience and the complex curves of the model. It has been a case of mark carefully once, scribe once, muck it up and apply more filler and start again.

Still ..... keeps me occupied :)

The panel lines are not accurate but neither is this model. That's it for now, all the best and happy modelling ...

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

A pig with lipstick! Well done on not slinging it against the wall. Looking good.

.... I thought of shelving it so many times 🤣😁.... plodding on now though !!

5 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

This is the only kit I have never completed. It now serves as my paint mule. Well done for sticking with it.

Will use it as scribe mule but will persivere 😎

4 hours ago, speedy said:

I always got sucked by the box art on this one, yet never built any of them over the years.

Haha ... me too 😎😁

Hi,

Finding the rescribing very difficult and as such, progress is slow. Difficult to judge if I'm cutting too deep but I'm thinking that after the application of some more primer then the actual paint, it should look ok. Done as much as I can with the kit I have ... basically the Tamiya scribe tool and a couple of old photoetch sprues to use as straight edges. I'm trying to source some " DYMO" tape, that I have seen others using and wondering if the alternative brand from China is any good... has anybody used it ?

Or does anyone else use a different method that works ? ... I'm having difficulty holding the photoetch down whilst trying to scribe round sloping fuselage sections.

Anyway ... this is where I'm at just now

20190412_204212

20190412_204221

I need to somehow, rescribe the intake inlets, as all my sanding to make them fit, has scrubbed away the details they had .

Thanks for looking .. any comments welcome 😏😁

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Just a quick note to let you know that your gunpods are on backwards!

Selwyn

🤣🤣🤣🤣... too late to sort that now. I'll just pretend you never told me .... absolutely loving this kit 🤢😶.

• Like 1

It can’t be that bad, I think I built this when I was 9 as my mum and dad bought it for me (knowing only that I like planes, and nothing about models!) child me was very happy with the outcome..... that said it could have been the effects of the large amounts of glue and enamel paint used 😂

i not think i would think it was such a great kit nowadays! Looks like you’re kicking it into shape! Nice work

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Rob... you are right. Expectations are higher these days with the cost of some kits. It looks like a shar so it will be fine, whenever the end comes. 

Maybe I've been spoiled with previous kits. It would be interesting to have a look at some kits I built 40 years ago !! 🤝

• Like 1

On the scribing thing, I’ve had reasonable results with Tamiya’s masking tape for curves; it’s designed to be able to cope with compound curves in masking, but with care it also handles re-scribing because it is quite thick.

Fixed-wing, eh?  Splitter!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

On the scribing thing, I’ve had reasonable results with Tamiya’s masking tape for curves; it’s designed to be able to cope with compound curves in masking, but with care it also handles re-scribing because it is quite thick.

Fixed-wing, eh?  Splitter!

Semi-splitter if you please 😂😂😉... Last two builds were RAF so had to revert back to senior service for this one. 

Tried the Tamiya tape but I'm quite ham fisted and just kept slipping the blade. I've managed to source Dymo tape.. So just awaiting delivery . 

Ps - return of the King returning when ???

14 minutes ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

Ps - return of the King returning when ???

Fair question - I haven’t been able to get any time at the bench at all in about a month (real life in the way), so no progress on current Lynx stuff, let alone ZE419.  

It will happen, but goodness knows when.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 8:45 AM, MarkdipXV711 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣... too late to sort that now. I'll just pretend you never told me .... absolutely loving this kit 🤢😶.

If Backwards firing cannons are your thing so be it!

Selwyn

• Haha 1

On 12/04/2019 at 20:56, MarkdipXV711 said:

I'm trying to source some " DYMO" tape, that I have seen others using and wondering if the alternative brand from China is any good... has anybody used it ?

For what you want it for, i doubt it, it's plastic strip with a sticky back. 'DYMO' is a brand name,  so the stuff that does the same job should be basically the same.

A member here recently mentioned using floor masking tape,  which is thjick vinyl tape,  and there is a specific brand for use with rescribing from Japan.

ok, this

https://www.plazajapan.com/4582370703713/

5__63998.1550460988.jpg?c=2

there is a 3mm version as well.

HTH

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

For what you want it for, i doubt it, it's plastic strip with a sticky back. 'DYMO' is a brand name,  so the stuff that does the same job should be basically the same.

A member here recently mentioned using floor masking tape,  which is thjick vinyl tape,  and there is a specific brand for use with rescribing from Japan.

ok, this

https://www.plazajapan.com/4582370703713/

5__63998.1550460988.jpg?c=2

there is a 3mm version as well.

HTH

Brilliant... thank you. I'll try to source some of this for future. Appreciated 🤝

2 minutes ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

Brilliant... thank you. I'll try to source some of this for future. Appreciated 🤝

Just order from Plaza Japan, as in the link, the post won't be much.  if  you create an account, you can add items to your basket and see the shipping.  note, you can get some older Japanese kits from them cheap, and post to the UK is about £5....

stay under £15 for the goods and you won't risk the VAT and post charges...

eg

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344996285

showing to me at £10.13 + £5.79 post....   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Just order from Plaza Japan, as in the link, the post won't be much.  if  you create an account, you can add items to your basket and see the shipping.  note, you can get some older Japanese kits from them cheap, and post to the UK is about £5....

stay under £15 for the goods and you won't risk the VAT and post charges...

eg

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344996285

showing to me at £10.13 + £5.79 post....   

Bookmarked for future use. Cheers 🤝

I remember making this in the early 80s and thought it went together quite well.

Then I found it about 6 months ago in a box when I was clearing out the loft and realised just how bad it was.  Needless to say it went in the bin!

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...