Cellulose or Lacquer

Bryan71

I’ve recently switched to Mr Paint from acrylics.Using Mr Color thinner does seem a waste to use it to clean my airbrushes.Looking at buying some Lacquer thinner but having trouble sourcing some that isn’t the same price as Mr Color.Is Cellulose to harsh to use I have a bottle floating around.Cheers

Oh yes. I only use Mr Color Thinner or Mr Leveling Thinner for thinning paint (Mr Color, Colourcoat, Humbrol) or with Tamiya putty on the model. The thinner you get in a can/jar from a hardware store or some such is much more cost effective. It is hotter that the Gunze thinners and therefore does a better job of cleaning the airbrush. I also dip the needle into a small "ready" jar of lacquer thinner before replacing the needle into the airbrush body. I haven't had any ill effects to my airbrush using it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just go to you local car parts shop, not Halfords, I get a 5ltr tin of anti-bloom thinner for £10, failing that have a look on line, cheapest gun cleaner one there £9.90 with free pp

9 minutes ago, colin said:

Just go to you local car parts shop, not Halfords, I get a 5ltr tin of anti-bloom thinner for £10, failing that have a look on line, cheapest gun cleaner one there £9.90 with free pp

I did that once, though because I don't use a lot of it the 5 litres was going to last me ages, except moisture cause the can to corrode from the inside and it ended up leaking out 😵 So now, although more expensive per litre, I tend to buy smaller containers, but if you use a lot 5 litres is good value.

Best not to keep it in a cold/damp place, like a shed/outbuilding. A friend had a 5ltr tin of emulsion, when they used to be in metal tins,kept on a shelf in his damp celler, went to pick it up one day, it was above his shoulders, bottom of the tin stayed on the shelf, the paint went all over him. No, I tried not to laugh honest