Seeing blue - Airfix 1/72 Phantom FGR.2 dual build

Managed to get my 2 blue Airfix 1/72 RAF Phantom FGR.2's finished.

19 Squadron markings from the old Xtradecal sheet and 92 Squadron markings from the decals in the kit.

Both used the Aerocraft intake ramp and afterburner can sets.

Paints used were Tamiya matt white and rubber black, Hataka for some of the detail work, Vallejo Metal Color for the metalics and Humbrol 25 Matt Blue for the blue.

Prior to decalling the aircraft were sprayed with Johnsons Klear and after decalling sprayed with Newton and Winsor Galleria Acrylic Matt Varnish.
IMG-0806.jpg
IMG-0809.jpg
IMG-0813.jpg
IMG-0814.jpg
IMG-0815.jpg
IMG-0816.jpg
IMG-0817.jpg
IMG-0818.jpg
IMG-0819.jpg
IMG-0820.jpg
IMG-0821.jpg
IMG-0822.jpg
IMG-0823.jpg
IMG-0824.jpg
IMG-0825.jpg
IMG-0826.jpg
IMG-0827.jpg

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Two great builds pity XT899 now looks like this

2017-09-20 14-25-16 Nick

Taken eighteen months ago in the Kbely museum (Czech Air Force Museum) at Prague

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Cheers guys.

3 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Nice work mate, bringing them to Hemsworth?

I should be fetching them over Andy.

3 hours ago, Paul821 said:

2017-09-20 14-25-16 Nick

Taken eighteen months ago in the Kbely museum (Czech Air Force Museum) at Prague

Both of the blue Phantoms have had a repaint within the past 12 months.

• Like 1

Hi

I really love both your builds. The two blue phantoms are amongst my favourite aircraft, not just because they are RAF Phantoms so obviously really cool, but of the memories they represent. Seeing them at the air tattoo that year, in what was a very special show! Wish I appreciated it more then! Anyway, I was lucky enough to see this one very recently at Tangmere when I went to visit my parents who only live around the corner! (As an added bonus, it’s the actual airframe I performed my passing out parade in front of at RAF Halton in what seems another life (it was a plain old grey one then).

anyway, thanks for sharing, great builds.

Tangmere Phantom

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tim d said:

Hi

I really love both your builds. The two blue phantoms are amongst my favourite aircraft, not just because they are RAF Phantoms so obviously really cool, but of the memories they represent. Seeing them at the air tattoo that year, in what was a very special show! Wish I appreciated it more then! Anyway, I was lucky enough to see this one very recently at Tangmere when I went to visit my parents who only live around the corner! (As an added bonus, it’s the actual airframe I performed my passing out parade in front of at RAF Halton in what seems another life (it was a plain old grey one then).

anyway, thanks for sharing, great builds.

Tangmere Phantom

I hope you are going to manage to get to the model show on the 4.5.19?

On 04/04/2019 at 15:25, Paul821 said:

2017-09-20 14-25-16 Nick

If only that would be somehow brought 'home', painted up in full green/grey camo with squadron markings and put on display at Coningsby or Wattisham.

19 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Cracking job, not so many stencils on a blue phantom by the look of it!

Exactly the reason my Airfix Phantom will be the 19Sqn Blue jet !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RMCS said:

I hope you are going to manage to get to the model show on the 4.5.19?

I would love too, but unfortunately I live just outside Exeter. I can only visit the museum when I am visiting my parents. I do try to go every time I see them though!

• 3 years later...

Only just come across this thread. Great work and models. Do you kmow by chance where i can still get decals for the 75th Anniv in 1/72 + 1/48  scale?? XV408 is on display at my local Tangmere museum. Although they have now re-painted back into camo colours!