Algeria Air Force MiG-21F

YK GOH

This beautiful photo of a row of Algeria AF MiG-21Fs had been on the net for some time. Unfortunately it does not show the wings in full and I had not been able to find any other photos that can show whether the national insignia is also applied on the wings.

egy0610

Photos of later model of MiG-21s, as well as MiG-23s, MiG-25s and MiG-29s of the Algerian AF show that the national insignia is applied on the port wing top surface with the aircraft number on the starboard wing.

I came up with four possibilities for the MiG-21Fs as shown here. Wonder whether there is any other literature or photos that can confirm which one is correct.

Algeria AF MiG-21F Plan

Arabs MiGs by Tom Cooper and David Nicolle?

Yes, I did checked. The same photo with the wings cut-off appeared on Page 143 of Volume 2.

A colour side profile of Aircraft No 75 appeared on Page 235 and the caption mentioned that roundels appeared on upper surface of port wing and lower surface of starboard wing.

No mention of whether the Aircraft Number was painted on the wings.

Ok, just did the same... ;)

I also checked the acig forum entries on the Algerian Airforcem without success unfortunately as well...

Yefim Gordons monster book about the MiG-21 also does not include any more....

this is aforum dedicated to the Algerian Armed forces.... I did not find any more here... but maybe ...

https://www.forcesdz.com/viewforum.php?f=15

some more....

http://bemil.chosun.com/nbrd/gallery/view.html?b_bbs_id=10044&num=24622

sorry not much of a help here!

There is still a lot to be researched!

I am trying to find a photo of an Austrian based MiG-15 during the early 1950ies.... no chance either....

Edited by exdraken

Thanks exdraken for the comprehensive search.

The flightline photo seem to be taken during an event and its either official or a press photo.

I would guess that there were many photos or even videos taken at the event and am hoping some day, more photos or video on Youtube will appear.

YK 

• Like 1

From the sound of it YK, it seems unlikely that anyone is going to be able to prove you wrong whichever option you go for.  In the absence of proof, you could make a good argument that option C is at least consistent with the marking scheme applied to other Algerian types, including later MiG-21s.

Just a view ...

• Like 1

Sorry, but on photo Algeria MiG-21F-13, not a MiG-21F.

MiG-21F have a visible differences with  MiG-21F-13.

In 32nd & 48nd scale it does not matter, because in these scales there is only the MiG-21F-13. But in 72nd scale manufacturers maked and MiG-21F and MiG-21F-13.

B.R.

Serge

Thanks Serge, for correcting the variant of the Algerian aircraft.

Vultures1: am guessing its between B and C as some kit manufacturers has Algerian Su-7s with the roundels on both wings. Just another interesting trivia in modelling aircraft from air forces that are not well documented.

On 4/8/2019 at 4:06 AM, YK GOH said:

Thanks Serge, for correcting the variant of the Algerian aircraft.

Vultures1: am guessing its between B and C as some kit manufacturers has Algerian Su-7s with the roundels on both wings. Just another interesting trivia in modelling aircraft from air forces that are not well documented.

Certainly Algerian aircraft had serials above the starboard wing but probably - and just my guess - the earlier MIGs etc like your machine would have had roundels both sides. ....... I'm waiting to be shot down ;)

Martin

The picture of the row of Algerian Mig 21 was  taken at Boufarik .It illlustrated a special issue enclosed in the well known french magasine "Paris Match"  in 1967 (if my memory is good) about Algeria post independance and war. There was no other pics of that row except a cockpit with pilot in it. The pic was taken by  a well known photographer whose name I forgot (it is not a aeronautic photographer ) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

- at the beginning Algerian MiG-21F-13 had no markings on the wings (option A), 

- later, roundels were applied on the left upper wing and on the under the right wing (option D)

- Option B was an exception from the a.m. rule and appeared on aircraft (Su-7, MiG-21MF) deployed to Egypt during the October 1973 war against Israel that got  the"Nile Valley" camo patterns and Egyptian markings. Later, as these aircraft returned to Algeria, EAF markings were overpainted with Algerian roundels on 4 wing positions. 

- Option C is the one currently used - since the adoption of the current alphanumeric "XX-00" code system.

HTH

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Thanks 1

Hi Diego,

Thank you for your insights.

Do you mean Option B in your 3rd para?...as there are profiles drawn on Su-7s in several publications showing roundels on both wings.

Regards,

YK

14 hours ago, YK GOH said:

Hi Diego,

Thank you for your insights.

Do you mean Option B in your 3rd para?...as there are profiles drawn on Su-7s in several publications showing roundels on both wings.

Regards,

YK

Sorry - of course, it should be "B" - I just have corrected the post :) 

11 minutes ago, YK GOH said:

Thanks Diego, and would you be able to advice whether the roundels have their white segments faced outboard on both wings?

Normally, the white segment of the roundel applied on the left wing is facing outboard, and I can confirm that, on the Su-7 and MiG-21 MF wearing the Nile Valley camo scheme, the roundel applied on the right wing had the white segment facing outboard... :)

Thanks very much for confirmation that the Algerian AF roundels have their white segments facing outboard. 

The very popular photo of a pair of Algerian Su-7s in Nile Valley camo taking off has a faint indication of the starboard wing top roundel with white segment facing outboard. This led me to believe that if roundels are applied on both wings, the white segment will face outboard.