Sea Harrier FRS1, Kinetic 1/48 (Warning, pic intensive)

The Kinetic Harrier is at long last complete. Kit has been fighting all the way, with fiddly assembly and confusing instructions, a good documentation is needed to avoid the version mix. Decals, however are a dream. But in the end it's a Harrier and certainly a gain over the old Airfix kit.

Painted with Gunze acrylics, (H333 extra dark sea grey), been adding the Neomega cockpit, initially intended for the old Airfix kit.

Complete photo album of the build can be found here : SHAR build photo

Hope you'll like her.

Best,

Stef (#6)

DSCN7444.jpg

DSCN7445.jpg

DSCN7447.jpg

DSCN7449.jpg

DSCN7450.jpg

DSCN7451.jpg

DSCN7452.jpg

DSCN7453.jpg

DSCN7454.jpg

DSCN7455.jpg

DSCN7456.jpg

DSCN7457.jpg

DSCN7458.jpg

DSCN7459.jpg

DSCN7460.jpg

DSCN7462.jpg

DSCN7464.jpg

DSCN7465.jpg

DSCN7466.jpg

DSCN7467.jpg

DSCN7468.jpg

DSCN7469.jpg

• Like 51
  • Thanks 1

You'd never know it put up a fight, you really conquered it!

Very nice, I like the overpainted tail markings as well!

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Nice SHAR Stephane.

Sorry to say this, but it would be even better if the intake interiors are also Extra Dark Sea Grey right back to the turbine blades, as they were on the full-size XZ457/14 back in May-June 1982.

(You’re not the only one to do this; I must have made the same comment on at least 12 SHAR builds on BM. I’m sure there will be more.)

Also the 4 on the airbrake should be on the inside face of the airbrake; it was there so that deck crews and Flyco could identify the aircraft from behind.

Onwards and upwards...

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the kind words, guys

Nick, thank you for the inputs, for the 4 inside outside I was aware of my mistake, but too late : flat coat on and weathering done.

For the intake inside colour, I will trust you if you were there, of course but it's conflicting with some pics I found on the web, prolly because these were taken after Operation Corporate. 

Well, so much for my for my forecast and fancy white cheat line painted before assembling intakes :).

I'll try to re-spray EDSG inside. 

I wasn’t there but I have done a lot of research about all the Falklands SHARs over the years and have lots of photos of all the aircraft at the time.

Just had another look at the model photos and while you have the EDSG loaded give the front nozzles a coat too. It was only from mid-late 1983 that the natural metal nozzles became a feature. Up until then, always painted.

SHARs and the later Harriers may be grey, but they were anything but uniform and their schemes contain lots of pitfalls for the unwary.

It’s why I love them; plus the fact they meet Thomas Edison’s criteria for what an aircraft should be... (I’ll let you search out the quote!)

Cheers

Nick

If you have any Harrier or SHAR questions in the future; please ask!

• Like 1

Thanks again guys .

@Josh G. None of these 2 pilots.

Referring to the caption of the colour profile in SAM Modeller datafile (p.60) :

"XZ457/14 ex-714V/L with 899NAS of the 800/899NAS", the top scoring SHAR with the HMS Hermes Air Group, May/June 1982. On 21st May 1982, Ltn Clive Morell destroyed A-4Q Skyhawk 0665/3-A-312 of 3 Escuadrilla with AIM-9L and damaged a A-4Q Skyhawk with canon fire, this A-4 being destroyed when attempting an emergency landing. On May, 24, Ltn Cdr Andy Auld destroyed 2 Daggers - C-419 and, probably, C-430 of Gruppo 6 with 2 AIM-9L. Later converted to FA.2 standard in1993. On 20th October 1995, as 714 of 899NAS caught fire while preparing to take off at Yeovilton. Now in the Boscombe Down Aviation Museum."

11 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Superb end result and worth the effort.

Great photos as well.

Thnaks Bernd, glad you like her :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did you have any building difficulties with this kit? Looks like a great model and I'm thinking of buying it together with Kinetic's MIIIEA and SuE to build a 1982 collection.

• Like 1

Really great job Stephane (sorry for name mistake). It looks wonderful and very authentic from the time period. I'm currently building the Hasegawa Harrier GR7 1:48 RAF. And I hope it turns out looking half as good as yours. Well done! 👍

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Thanks lot, glad you like me SHAR :)

@ Sturmovik. In the first post , I'm giving a link to the photo gallery of the build. Main issue is with the fit of the upper wing and fuselage, behind the cockpit, it make a huge step. It also impact the underwing seam to fuselage and you need to add plasticard to balcne fuselage/underwing thickness.

Also the fit of the windshield isn't very good, it was made bader by grafting the dashbord of the Neomega resin kit. Instructions are terrible and be sure to double check with documentation, as there are a lot of version mixes with the previously released FA2 version. Decals avre very good though and relly adhere nicely on a glossy surface. Had a few silvering issues with the smallest bits, but my fault, as the surface wasn't glossy enough.

@Benji Thanks, mate :). I also have the Hase Harrier, USMC version, desert storm. Be careful with the outwingswheel legs, these are a bit long and the sit is altered, making the rear wheel not touching the ground.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advise. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that! And you're more than welcome. Once again... Nice job Mr Parisian. (I don't know how to do the dash over the E) And I feel rude spelling your name wrong. Cheers mate 👍

• Like 1

No worry Benji, you may spell Stefan, as if there was no "e", most of the time, English speaking people do spell like Stephanie, but in French, it's the feminine version of the first name 😎

And I now live 70k south west of Paris, but I used to be a dead parisian, downtown Paris, yes 😋😋😋

• Thanks 1