Fokker pair 2

Hi all,
The leading edge plywood 'saw tooth' fairing is tricky to do, but can be done.
Structure drawing of 1/72 scale resized by 160%, then printed, cut out and used as a template on 0.2 mm thick plastic card.
The fairing is test fitted and adjusted where necessary then secured in position using thin CA adhesive.
Starting on the top of the front wing spar then once set, rolling the wing over the fairing and applying adhesive at the same time.,

Mike

leadedgedone.jpg   

• Like 2

Hi all,
The lower wing is nearing completion.
It's been painted with 'Tamiya' base coat then oils for wood effect.
Internal wing bracing with turnbuckles added.
Leading edge 'transportation 'bump stops' added.
Internal double bracing 'zig-zag' tapes installed (instead of the original 'strip wood' struts, which were removed).

I still have the trailing edge wire to install (for attaching the wings linen covering).
Also the final weathering will need to be added

Mike

wingtaped.jpg   

• Like 3

Hi all,
The lower wing is finished now, with the trailing edge wire fitted and overall 'dumbing down' carried out using 'Alclad' Light Sheen lacquer mixed with 'Tamiya' Smoke (X19).  

So now it's on to scratch making the undercarriage fairing and axle assembly (not available as a 3D printed part),

Mike

lowwingdone1.jpg 

lowwingdone2.jpg    

lowwingdone3.jpg   

• Like 3

Hi all,
The undercarriage fairing assembly is basically built.
Made from 0.8 mm and 1.0 mm thick plastic card, 1.2mm, 0.8 mm and 0.5 mm brass rod and tube.
The wheels are hand made by 'Steve Robson' out in Australia.

It's still to be finalized and painted etc.
I'll also need to make the struts as the kit supplied items fit into the kit fairing and therefore are not long enough to attach to the angled support blocks on each side of the exposed axle box ends,

Mike

axle5.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,
The lower wing is now installed, with some slight adjustments to clear the fuselage side frames and to give adequate access to the single wing strut mounting location.
Next is the undercarriage, once I've completed making the undercarriage struts from brass tube and rod,

Mike

lowwingfit2.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all,
 I'm calling the undercarriage assembly done.
The wheels are not permanently fitted yet - they'll be the last thing to be fitted.

So now onto the upper wing and struts etc,

Mike

UCdone2.jpg

• Like 3

Ok - I need help if there is anyone out there who can explain how the interaction of the aileron control cables works, as I can't find any details of this.

This I know:
1. At the forward end of the control column torque tube is a staggered double bell-crank. Twin aileron control cables are attached to each end of the bell-crank and are routed diagonally across each other to exit through the top of the opposite fuselage side.
2. The twin cables enter the underside of the upper wing, close to the inboard wing strut mounting.
3. The cables are routed around twin pulleys fitted to the rear face of the wing front spar.
4. The cables are the routed outboard to another pair of pulleys, fitted on the spar opposite the aileron control horns.

My problem is that photographs show what I assume are the left inboard pulleys with the two fuselage cables routed around them. One cable is routed outboard I assume to the aileron pulleys. The other is routed in the opposite direction across the wing centre section to presumably the opposite aileron.
However there appears to be a third cable routed horizontally across the top of the twin pulleys and running through a tubular cable housing.
This would seem to suggest that the third cable is interconnected between the two ailerons in some way? 

So basically, how were the aileron cables routed across the upper wing and to and from the cockpit bell-crank???
I'm close to completing the skeletal Fokker D.VII and would want to fudge these cables using guesswork,

Mike

aileron2.jpg

ailpulley1.jpg

ailpulley2.jpg

pulleys.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,

I was shown a diagram of the Fokker DR.1, which had similar controls.
The only photos I had were of the left wing pulleys so I assumed the right side pulleys were the same - wrong.
The control cables for the aileron top control horns cross in the wing centre section - I assumed they didn't which is why I couldn't figure out their interaction.
It all makes sense now.

ailerondiag.jpg

I can move on to finish the build now,

Mike 

Hi all,
The upper wing is nearly there.
I just have the ailerons and their control cables and associated pulleys to add, plus the trailing edge wire.
After that it'll be fitting the wing and struts, engine exhaust and propeller, wheels and aileron control cables connected - then that'll be it,

Mike

upper8.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,
The aileron outer control cable pulleys are fitted.
Made from photo-etch set intended for the Sopwith Triplane and modified to suit the Fokker D.VII pulleys.
The control lines are loosely routed for now.

Next are the inboard pulleys,

Mike

outerpulleys.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,
The inner aileron pulleys and the inner wing control lines are done as well as the trailing edge support wire.
Once I've added the control cable turnbuckles it'll be time to tackle fitting of the upper wing,

Mike

innerpulleysdone.jpg

uppertrailwire.jpg

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 1

Hi all,
Nearly there!!
Upper wing and wing support struts fitted.
Wheels fitted.
Twin aileron control cables (upper wing to cockpit) connected with turnbuckles.
Propeller finished.

I just need to fit the exhaust and propeller and that's it.

Mike

wingfuseailcomp.jpg

wheelscomp.jpg

propcomp.jpg

• Like 3

Absolutely gorgeous. Fantastic work, and thanks for the info on the aileron control wires, I had no idea they were double wires.

Ian

Yes it seems twin aileron control cables were used on the Fokker DR.1, D.VII and the D.VIII. Probably on other Fokker aircraft as well.

I think it was Fokker specific, but I could be wrong,

Mike

• Like 1

Hi all,
Last bits fitted.
Propeller, exhaust, pilot's foot step and the two rear fuselage rear lift handles.

Just the display case and base to complete this build, but that shouldn't take long to sort out,

Mike

propcomp2.jpg

exhaustcomp.jpg

steps.jpg

• Like 3