Fokker pair 2

Hi all,
Throttle control run added from pilot's throttle lever to the linkage on the dual carburettors.
Scratch made from 0.1 mm Nickel-Silver rod and 0.3 mm brass tube with the pivot lever created from 'spare' photo-etch,

Mike

throtrundone.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,
Control cable for the hand operated throttle added.
Lead wire 0.2 mm diameter, from hand throttle on the control column, down and under the floor, up side frames and across the throttle quadrant.
Then down the other side, under the floor and back up to the hand throttle. 

Mike

handthrotdone.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,
Generator lead and seat connector fitted.
Generators were not standard fit, but were installed to some aircraft to power heated flying suits later in WW1 and if carried, wireless transmitters.
Made from 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver micro-tube and 0.148 mm diameter match line.

Mike

genlead.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,
The front end gas been weathered up a bit to keep it aligned with the associated Fokker D.VII model.
It's ready now for cross brace rigging and the fitting of the twp machine guns with their synchronization drive cables,

Mike

frontend1.jpg

frontend2.jpg

frontend3.jpg

frontend4.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all,
Rigging has started now.
Difficult to make out some of the rigging as I had to tie back the flight control lines as they were getting in the way.

So far:
Double bracing across the top of the fuel tank.
Double bracing across the underside of the cockpit floor (2 sets).
Double bracing across the frame bays adjacent to the pilot's seat.
Double bracing across the rear of the pilot's seat support frame.
Double bracing across each vertical fuselage frame.

Done with 0.08 mm Mono-filament, 0.4 mm Nickel-Silver tube and 1:48th scale turnbuckles ('Gaspatch').
The same needs to done on each of the frame bays on each side of the fuselage as well as those under and on top of the fuselage.

Mike

crosswires5.jpg

crosswires6.jpg

crosswires7.jpg

crosswires8.jpg

• Like 4

So thorough, this is amazing to follow.

I'm just starting the Battle Axe Fokker Dvii. Very different levels of detail. 🙊

Incredible - you know, each of these progress posts could be an RFI in its own right! It would make following the progress a bit of a challenge, though! The build and the picture quality are just brilliant.

Ted,

I have the old 'Battle Axe' and the 'Falcon' vac-form kit, but then 'MicroMir' released their Fokker D.VIII, so I built that one instead.

Not a bad kit but I chose to scratch build the cockpit frames, seat frame, undercarriage and wing struts from brass micro-tube.

Also made the cockpit plywood panels from plastic card.

My PDF build log is available for download if you want it:

http://igavh2.xara.hosting/#xl_xr_page_gallery1

Mike

• Thanks 1

Hi all,
The fuselage bottom cross bracing is done, which completes the fuselage bracing.
Also the tail skis has been fitted, with 0.125 mm copper wire suspension springs and 0.2 mm lead wire retention cable.

Now it's onto making the cockpit surround padding and fit the two modified 'Gaspatch' machine guns with their synchronization cables,

Mike

crosswires11.jpg

tailskiddone.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,
I realized that the fuselage rear decking panel was incorrect. 
I made it such that the front edge butted up against the rear of the pilot's seat support frame.
In fact the decking seems to have passed over the seat frame, forming the rear cockpit surround, then onto the top of the cockpit side frames.
After several tries and five broken bracing wires, I think it's just about there now.

Now onto making the padded rim to fit around the cockpit rear decking and after that, the machine guns,

Mike

reardeck.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all,
Both machine guns are now fitted along with their synchronization flexible drives.
These drives are connected between the bottom of the gun breech blocks and the gun synchronization mechanism, fitted to the rear of the engine cam shaft,

Mike

gunsdone1.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,
I've added the padding rim around the fuselage decking panel and onto the top of the cockpit side frames.
This was done using 2.0 mm diameter plastic tube which was sanded to form a grip for painting.
Then it was slit along one side and located over the decking and secured in position with thin CA adhesive. 
Finally it was primed, painted 'Humbrol' leather (62) and 'Tamiya' Hull Red (XF9), sealed then given a clay wash and finally sealed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311).

Mike

padding.jpg

• Like 2

I just found this build, and amazing work it is!

I visited your website and took a look at one of your build logs. There is great info there that will be valuable to anyone doing modeling, no matter what their preferred subject might be.

Thanks so much taking the effort to document your work in such detail, I now have some reading to do...

-Bill

Hi Bill,

My pleasure.

Hi all,
Tail unit assembled from the 3D printed parts.
Very fragile once separated from the support frame, so should prove interesting.
The elevator was missing the inboard trailing edge profile, presumably missed during printing process.
Therefore I had to make the profiles using 0.8 mm brass tube.

Mike

tailframe.jpg

shortshot.jpg

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 1

Hi all,
Well the fuselage is completed, apart from fitting the engine exhaust and the propeller.
The Rudder and Elevator control runs have been connected with the turnbuckles under the pilot's seat.
Also the tail plane to fin bracing cable.
The entire fuselage has been weathered and sealed.

So now it's on to the lower wing, followed by scratch building the skeletal undercarriage assembly, which unfortunately is not available as a 3D printed part.

Mike

fusecomp1.jpg

fusecomp2.jpg

fusecomp3.jpg

fusecomp4.jpg

fusecomp5.jpg

fusecomp6.jpg

fusecomp7.jpg

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 1

Hi all,
The 3D printed lower wing is detailed enough, but as normal there are details that can be added to make it more authentic.
Early production Fokker D.VII aircraft were fitted with bracing tapes that were routed across the wings between the front and rear wing spars and between the rear wing spar and the wing trailing edge.
These tapes were routed in a diagonal ‘zig-zag’ form, up and over each wing rib.
However later production aircraft were fitted with 10 mm square strip wood as replacements for the earlier tapes.
The 3D printed wings represent the later, strip wood version.
Although these strip wood struts can be left to make the model build easier, I've chosen to remove the wings strip wood struts and represent the earlier bracing tapes.

In addition, the two wing halves, when test joined at the centre section spars, showed a higher than expected dihedral angle.
Therefore I had to shave away material from the spars to achieve the correct angle.

Finally the leading edges of both wings were fitted with 'saw tooth' plywood fairings, which will need to be scratch made, as will the trailing edge support wire for attaching the linen covering.

So far:
Spars adjusted.
Strip wood bracing removed.
Diagonal bracing struts added to inner and outer trailing edges.
Holes drilled at the wing strut attachment points for attaching the wings internal cross bracing cables.
Wings scrapped clean of wax support material, assembled and primed.

The upper wing, which is in three sections, will require similar treatment.

Mike

lowerribbrace.jpg

lowwing.jpg

• Like 1