Westland whirlwind (fighter) paint

Stressy

I'm building the Bliek moulding of the Whirlwind and plan on doing the grey-green with grey undersides scheme. Looking at the relevant Warpaint it identifies the greys as 'mixed grey' and 'ocean grey' neither of which appear in my reference of RAF camo and marking orders for WW2. Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

Mixed grey is the "home-brew" recipe for the officially decreed Ocean Grey, which replaced Dark Earth on the topsides.  Undersides became Medium Sea Grey.  The change took place somewhere around mid-August '41.  Ocean Grey (or perhaps Gray) is most definitely a standard RAF colour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stressy said:

neither of which appear in my reference of RAF camo and marking orders for WW2.

what reference is this?  I can see the lack of 'mixed grey' but not Ocean Grey. 

Have a read of this

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/11-Meteor-Whirlwind

a scan of the RAF colour chart to be found in the RAF Museum Series, British Aviation Colours of World War Two

bstablegb_1.JPG

HTH

"Mixed grey" isn't an official colour but rather is what the colour called for in the AM missive on the introduction of Ocean Grey if the new colour wasn't available is now referred to. It was a temporary measure for units to use until Ocean Grey was available. It was achieved by mixing 7 parts Medium Sea Grey with 1 part Night. Saying that research has shown that some units seem to have used mixes which differed from this 7:1 ratio or perhaps were using a different stores colour. One of these using a darker "mixed grey" was 331 Sqn and which can be seen in photos of their Hurricanes in the Orkneys.

• Thanks 1