Tamiya 1/35 Panther G Steel Wheel

Hi All,

here's a couple of pics that I found of a Tamiya panther G that I was working on quite a while ago - it's currently on the shelf as I have moved on to other more interesting projects. I was experimenting with the B&W pre-shading method and also with oil paint colour modulation on the turret. The kit is built OOB apart from tow cables made from brass picture-wire and Aber PE engine grilles. I will pick this one back up again at some point - so many projects, so little time........

Thanks for looking,

Andrew

IMG_1059IMG_1061IMG_1073 (Edited)

• Like 4

Nicely done. Would you think the b&w is still visible or did the Basecoat and camo covering everything? It might be not that noticeable in the pictures anymore.  Found that on my recent Mengjagdpanther: at first I thought highlights were toon much. After camo now it blends in nicely. Could have gone over board and it would have toned down enough still.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

Nicely done. Would you think the b&w is still visible or did the Basecoat and camo covering everything? It might be not that noticeable in the pictures anymore.  Found that on my recent Mengjagdpanther: at first I thought highlights were toon much. After camo now it blends in nicely. Could have gone over board and it would have toned down enough still.

I think the B&W definitely gets a bit 'lost' during the camo painting on this turret and I agree that it is best to go for extreme shadows and highlights i.e. true B&W rather than '50 shades of grey'. I don't think that I had enough contrast for it to be visible after the basecoat and camo. I think that the B&W approach probably works best on a single-colour scheme; most of the examples I have seen are grey, yellow or green vehicles. I think that shading/modulating the camo colours is probably a better approach for complicated schemes, and this is what I did for the Hetzer 'ambush' camo, even though I used B&W pre-shading there too. If I was to do the same camo scheme again I'd probably just prime in white.

Cheers,

Andrew

7 minutes ago, Sancho Panzer said:

I think the B&W definitely gets a bit 'lost' during the camo painting on this turret and I agree that it is best to go for extreme shadows and highlights i.e. true B&W rather than '50 shades of grey'. I don't think that I had enough contrast for it to be visible after the basecoat and camo. I think that the B&W approach probably works best on a single-colour scheme; most of the examples I have seen are grey, yellow or green vehicles. I think that shading/modulating the camo colours is probably a better approach for complicated schemes, and this is what I did for the Hetzer 'ambush' camo, even though I used B&W pre-shading there too. If I was to do the same camo scheme again I'd probably just prime in white.

Cheers,

Andrew

I agree Andrew, the B&W technique takes some time to get right and how it ends up is hit or miss. This is my Sturmhaubitz I'm working on at the B&W stage. The white was actually tinted with the Dunkel Gelb after a full black primer coat.

6Zympfj.jpg

What I did was to thin the Dunkel Gelb down to like a 60% thinner to paint mix. Then really thin coats of 5 to 6 if I remember. It retains the shadow quite well IMO. You must keep it thin and transparent. The same would go for the camo colours too.

Kkv5FP2.jpg

It helps also after the white is airbrushed on, hand paint the main details like handles, clamps etc with full white prior to topcoat of yellow in this case.

Regards

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Soeren said:

With that experience I would think it would be more worthwhile to just start with a regular bade coat and then do classical modulation?

I'm going with that method on my Panther G Night Fighter I'm working on at the moment.

Hi @Redcoat2966

thanks for for your comments; lots of really helpful advice there👍 Your example looks fantastic and the shading is still clearly visible through the yellow. I will go back to the panther and play around with the B&W technique again using your suggestions😊

Cheers,

Andrew 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sancho Panzer said:

Hi @Redcoat2966

thanks for for your comments; lots of really helpful advice there👍 Your example looks fantastic and the shading is still clearly visible through the yellow. I will go back to the panther and play around with the B&W technique again using your suggestions😊

Cheers,

Andrew 

No problem Andrew.......anytime....I'm still experimenting with different methods of shading and modulation. It's all down to a personal style in the end.I think what you have to remember is your creating in some sense's effects that "don't" really exist, but create illusion of shad, colour and depth.

All the best

Simon.