Vintage Wings of Canada Hurricane MkXII

dnl42

Just received this email from Vintage Wings of Canada:

Getting It Right

Ladies and Gentlemen Aviators

Later this year, our fully-restored Hawker Hurricane MkXII will take to the skies over the Gatineau Hills for the first time. It will be painted to commemorate a Mk I from the Battle of Britain flown by Canadian uber-ace Flying Officer William Lidstone McKnight, the highest scoring pilot in Douglas Bader's 242 “Canadian” Squadron of the RAF. We are in the final steps of completion and the fuselage has just emerged from the paint booth in the markings of McKnight's LE-A (Serial No. P2961). On this, the 95th birthday of the Royal Canadian Air Force, we thought you would enjoy a sneak peek at the result of months of painstaking research.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/619/Getting-It-Right.aspx

• Like 3

*sigh*

We chose to stick to the fin flash worn by P2959, making the assumption that not much changed between the two aircraft on the assembly line—in this case three vertical 10-inch bars ending at the rudder break.

doesn't seem to have occured that when built it would not have had a fin flash or rudder stripes.....  the 35 inch A type shown on the P2959 pics is a good indicator that when built it looked like this (yes, I know this is Hawker built early P,  aside from the possible use of bright red and blue, this is also what Gloster built planes looked like)

hurr1-12.jpg&key=153da906086429e030af6a4

and the non standard yellow outer ring  (see as full 7 inch, 5 inch as noted and narrower, maybe 2inch  plus an occasional repaint to the new correct spec) and fin flash were applied in May 1940.

How these were then applied post factory would 'depend'......

So, interesting reasoning...  it maybe right, 

McKnight leans confidently against the starboard wing of LE-A. This extremely poor photograph, along with the previous one, are the only two photographs known to exist of McKnight's Gloster-built Hawker Hurricane P2961.  Every other detail concerning P2961's paint scheme — fin flash, roundel sizes, stencilling and serials — remains today only conjecture.

but  they also missed this

On 17/07/2015 at 22:34, tango98 said:

Aside from the two frequently published photos of McKnights' Hurricane, three others exist in a private collection here in Canada; a distance
three quarter view from behind, one of it alongside another showing most of the port side and a three quarter head on view with McKnight
and and
unidentified pilot standing in front of the port wing. A starboard view of the entire aircraft has yet to come to light (if such a view does exist).

amazing what gets posted here at BM.....  And then buried.   Be interesing to see what @tango98  makes of it....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Very interesting reasoning for the reversed roundel colours!

??  I was sure when I looked at the pics at lunch time earlier today the roundels and fin flash were 'Frenchified'!? But now they are the right way round. Weird?? What went on?? 

24 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

T'was an April fool photoshop prank, there was a "video" at the bottom of the post that took you to a Gotcha page with the proper photos on it if you tried to play it!

Ah! I didn't see that!