1/48 Meng ME-410b/U4- The Hornet- let's get this baby finished!!

12 minutes ago, Antb said:

Thanks for the tip for the mottle nik. I do have enamel thinners but didn't want to use them on the canopy as wasn't sure if it would cause any damage. 

I'll give it a try. Thanks again 

I've used thinners to remove glue left on conopie by masks before. It did not mark them I used it by putting it on with a cotton bud. You could try it on a small section to test it. Or on spare part first. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Niknak said:

I've used thinners to remove glue left on conopie by masks before. It did not mark them I used it by putting it on with a cotton bud. You could try it on a small section to test it. Or on spare part first. 

That's great nik, I'll give it a bash 

Morning everyone, 

Bit of frustration getting some paint on the old bird but think I've got it to a stage where a final pass with a sander and we're ready for a gloss coat. 

I experimented with Niks advice of a "stipple" brush for the mottle but in the end settled with a piece of sponge. A similar effect but I found it a bit easier. 

Another disclaimer, I don't pretend that this paint job is the best ever nor the most historically accurate but it's just what i can achieve with my limited skills. 

I wasn't happy with the painting process but now I'm here at this stage in happier. Still not brilliant but I think weathered it will look alright. Hopefully. 

Ok, so I'm rambling. On with the pictures. 

Here she is with the 76 and 74 applied masked ready for the 75 

20190511-203610.jpg

The original mottle on the tail. Note the use of the word original... 

20190511-203615.jpg

I had a disaster when trying to apply a thinned down layer of 76 over the mottle.to blend it in further. Basically the thinners pulled everything off, even the primer so I ended up sanding the whole lot down. Not just the tail either. 

20190512-091218.jpg

20190512-091227.jpg

That was last night. I had thought about putting the build down and coming back to it another time but having slept on it I decided to crack on. 

I've spent a few hours this morning (the joys of early morning with a 4 year old) and have got it to a decent position. 

20190512-100752.jpg

20190512-100747.jpg

20190512-100742.jpg

20190512-100739.jpg

20190512-100735.jpg

20190512-100726.jpg

20190512-100721.jpg

She's a lovely looking bird with that shaped canopy. 

• Like 4

Morning all, 

Feels like it's been an age since the last update. 

Work has been ongoing albeit at a much slower pace due to a few reasons, one being life as per but I am losing interest in the build due to the issues I've had throughout. 

Nonetheless I am plodding along. 

Once I'd completed the painting and sorted some bits out it was time for the gloss coat. 

I've found that Wilkos gloss laquer works great. It dries rock hard and is only 4 quid a can but you have to be careful not to spray it too thick otherwise you get problems. 

Here she is all glossed up with those few areas that needed sorting showing. 

20190514-195030.jpg

20190514-195102.jpg

20190514-195106.jpg

20190514-195115.jpg

I'm not too worried about the camo not having straight edges as they weren't straight anyway. They look weird in the photos though don't they? 

Decals are on but dont have any decent images yet so another update will follow. 

Cheers guys 

🐜

Ant,

I have been following your thread from the start although I haven't posted previously. 

I have been really inspired by your can do attitude in the face of multiple setbacks and your willingness to try new techniques.  I think your 410 is looking really good and you should be proud of the final result. 

You will also have an array of new skills to deploy on subsequent builds.

Well done!

Regards

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mike romeo said:

Ant,

I have been following your thread from the start although I haven't posted previously. 

I have been really inspired by your can do attitude in the face of multiple setbacks and your willingness to try new techniques.  I think your 410 is looking really good and you should be proud of the final result. 

You will also have an array of new skills to deploy on subsequent builds.

Well done!

Regards

Martin

Thanks Martin, really appreciate the kind comments 

I've taken some photos of the bird with decals on. The decals are fab and reacted really well to the Mr Mark setter and softer. 

20190518-100159.jpg

20190518-100210.jpg

20190518-100218.jpg

20190518-100226.jpg

Made a start on the flaps and radiators as I like to leave these off until decals are done. 

I'll get then attached then give her a Matt coat and then weather her up. I would usually weather over the gloss coat but this one I'll do on a Matt finish. 

That's all for now. 

Have a great weekend folks 

🐜

• Like 3

Good evening all, 

It feels like a long time since I last did anything on the build but i have made some progress. There's not much to show but things are moving forward. 

All painting completed including a matte coat, flaps attached and weathering is underway. 

20190522-173444.jpg

20190522-173450.jpg

20190522-173456.jpg

20190522-173510.jpg

Given a good old flory wash. Dark dirt. 

I have started to remove this but haven't got any photos. I'll share them as soon as I've got some 

20190522-190252.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Getting Old said:

looking good, keep it coming :like:

Thanks mate 

9 hours ago, Niknak said:

It's looking good antb. Nick

Cheers Nik. 

The wash is off and I have to say it does look quite nice. There's a few high spots where I've somehow managed to go through a Matt and gloss varnish and the paint layers so they will need a touch up. 

No idea how it happened but it's an easy sort. 

Hi guys 

So the finish is in sight. I have to say I'm quite happy with how things are turning out. 

I'm not going to pretend it's perfect or the best model, because it isn't, but it's looking ok and I've learned a few things along the way. 

So this is where I'm up to. 

The flory was removed and left me with this. 

20190525-104638.jpg

20190525-104644.jpg

20190525-104651.jpg

20190525-104700.jpg

20190525-104708.jpg

The underside I'm not so happy with but it won't matter as much I don't suppose 

20190525-104726.jpg

The decals have settled in really well but it helped that I lightly sanded the flory wash off. It's taken the decals back and they blend in beautifully. 

I've started attaching the smaller bits and pieces, assembled, painted and decaled the props and painted up the gear. 

20190525-105405.jpg

20190525-105409.jpg

When I've finished attaching and painting the smaller bits I'll attach the canopy framing and give it another flat coat. 

Then it's off with the masks which I'm dreading. 

Should be done in a few days then it's on with the next project, something completely different 😁

• Like 1

I know you told me  it had been a fight but I hadn't realised just how much. If it had been me it would have taken it's maiden flight into the bin. I tend to avoid Aires for obvious reasons, their F-4 exhaust can that dropped into  my model were the main reason, too small in diameter, but beautifully moulded. Other folks will have other opinions.

Looking forward to seeing her built. Don't stop painting Napoleonics either

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

I know you told me  it had been a fight but I hadn't realised just how much. If it had been me it would have taken it's maiden flight into the bin. I tend to avoid Aires for obvious reasons, their F-4 exhaust can that dropped into  my model were the main reason, too small in diameter, but beautifully moulded. Other folks will have other opinions.

Looking forward to seeing her built. Don't stop painting Napoleonics either

Cheers mate. 

The passion for Napoleonics isn't that high tbh, I seem to be losing the love for it. 

I'm sure it will pick up at some point though. 

As for the Aires stuff I haven't really used it before as I am still quite green behind the ears when it comes to modelling. The stuff looks amazing but I'm not sure how folk manage to get it to fit. 

I won't be using it again that's for sure. Which is a massive shame because the stuff is lovely. 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 1

Looking good, can't wait to see it finished :like:. I bet you can't either but for different reasons :wall: Just think of everything you have learnt on this project and how many more skills you have moving on to the next one :thumbsup:

Evening guys 

So, disaster strikes and the build is finished as a result. I'm gutted. 

I got the undercarriage on but the left wheel didn't want to stick. I tried different glues and whatever happened it wouldn't have it. The undercarriage barely held the weight of the aircraft. It was fragile but workable. 

And then this happened 

20190525-205704.jpg

20190525-205730.jpg

20190525-205743.jpg

I'm gutted. The leg has snapped in the worse possible place. The leg fits into a hole in the wheel well and as you can see that bits still in there. 

I've tried to drill and pin it but it won't hold the weight. 

I'm seriously gutted. 

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to display her? I'm working on a display base so would be a shame to let it go to waste 

Thanks chaps. 

I've tried drilling but I'm struggling to drill the leg, so I've tried something else and the build is going in an entirely different direction than what I imagined. 

This aircraft is undergoing repair. 

Now, rather than buy anything i figured I'd make an aircraft jack, based on the materials i had available and put it in a diorama. 

The jack I've made is nowhere near what a Luftwaffe jack looks like but it's a representation and sticking it under the wing I think painted it will look the part. 

I've ordered 2 boxes of ground crew so this build is something I'm now very much looking forward to finishing. 

Here's a quick photo. It's made of sprue, card and buttons for the wheels. As I say it's not historically accurate but I think it's ok. 

20190525-223550.jpg

20190525-223601.jpg

Honest feedback appreciated 

• Like 1

If you won't to use the correct Jack's antb. Das werk do a 1/48 luftwaffe Jack stand set. Nick

2019-05-25_10-43-37

Edited by Niknak
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Niknak said:

If you won't to use the correct Jack's antb. Das werk do a 1/48 luftwaffe Jack stand set. Nick

2019-05-25_10-43-37

Thanks Nik, 

I'll give them some thought. 

• Like 1

Such a shame what happened to the landing gear, it was nearing the finish line. The moral of this is, only add the landing gear after the model is completely decalled and westhered.

5 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Such a shame what happened to the landing gear, it was nearing the finish line. The moral of this is, only add the landing gear after the model is completely decalled and westhered.

Decals and weathering were done. I was just adding the final touches (The smaller bits to be stuck on) when the gear leg collapsed. 

I think you will be fine.  If you position the gear leg with small amounts of blu tac you will have enough room in 1/48 to add superglue to the joints and fix them.  Once applied, wait a couple of hours and add some more to act as a reinforcement.  Leave it overnight and then remove the blu tac and you should be good to go. 

• Thanks 1