TAMIYA MATILDA "RUBBLE CAMO"

Thanks John.....overall the PE set ( I think Aber🤔) was a good one. There isn’t a vast amount that they can do on a Matilda. As I mentioned above, the drop tank brackets were too much and not very well designed in the folding and construction. So I stayed with kit ones.

Thanks again mate👍

Simon

On 4/21/2019 at 11:44 AM, Soeren said:

The transitions look great. The only drawback of black&white is the desaturation to some extent of the sand. Means you always get a cold transition towards the shadows with the translucent top coat. Maybe vallejos German camouflage black brown would make a decent Base coat?  

Hi Soeren......after doing a lot of research, I think you're right. Change all primer colours to actual colour related to the right shadow required. The use of blacks and dark grey has as you say a "cold transition". I have an Sdkfz 7 Flak by Tamiya on the cards, so will try it on that one.

Cheers

Simon.

13 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

or mask with blutack and spray the camo? Nice basecolor so far...

Hi Silenoz.......the actual camo' in reality was light sand shapes painted over the standard dark green main colour. I'm reversing it, and hand painting the lines instead. There is evidence of sprayed "rubble" camo'......it's a challenge with the nature of the Matilda and the crevices of the detail.........there would be a hell of a lot of overspray here and there. I'll go with the line approach by hand, I fancy giving it a go....never tried before.....:worry:...fingers crossed.

Cheers

Simon.

40 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

that's why, mask the sand, bit the opposite of what I did here:

Masked

120849-11032-53.jpg

unmasked

120876-11032-30.jpg

Low pressure can be your friend

Good god man....:yikes:.....nah, sorry.......no patience for that...time to sharpen up my brush skills again.....we'll compare when I'm done.....:smirk:

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Soeren......after doing a lot of research, I think you're right. Change all primer colours to actual colour related to the right shadow required. The use of blacks and dark grey has as you say a "cold transition". I have an Sdkfz 7 Flak by Tamiya on the cards, so will try it on that one.

Cheers

Simon.

Hey Simon. Thanks for this conclusion . Will be looking forward to your approach.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Cheers

Simon.

I will try brown/white on my Matilda as well... Wondered about the pre-shading when I did my Quad a couple of years ago....

• Like 1

Hi Rob.....been studying and thinking of my next steps all day..........now I know why it takes me so long to get anything done. 75% pondering to 25% modelling...:worry:

I have planned a new paint process for the Panther Night Fighter, as regards pre-shading and colour. On this Matilda though. I have got it to the final base colour prior to the start of the challenging "Rubble" camo' lines. Still very bright, but reduced a lot the grey primer tones. I feel starting accurately as regards colour prior to weathering, always ends up too dark.....so here she is, a good 50% lighter than actual colour in reality........Side skirt armour permanently on and tracks are done in MIG 0-35.

niYRNsw.jpg

z76HB8w.jpg

Nest post should be with the camo' lines underway.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all.....before my day begins.....I thought I'd pop up a progress report. Just the turret to go. Quite a marathon of a night, after three starts I'm finally happy with the look. A bit of touch up here and there, now seen with fresh eyes. Hopefully get the turret done tonight.....fingers crossed. Plus I have to do some repairs with break off's as I handled the chassis........:think:

OsmqXhd.jpg

zdsjNd5.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Getting Old said:

Looking good :like:

9 hours ago, Troffa said:

Excellent work and a fascinating thread- thanks! Looking forward to seeing her finished.

8 hours ago, robw_uk said:

great work... thats a really effective scheme

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Just two words Simon. Poodle's and privates.

John.

1 hour ago, Rogue705 said:

Outstanding 👍

Cheers Gents.......really appreciate the positive comments and thumbs up.......took some trial and error......but an interesting painting exercise all the same........ Learnt much in doing this and a speedy method once I got rolling 😬.....I might be able to post pre weathering stage with components painted.

Have to say......not a fun AFV to paint overall, camouflage being taken out of the equation. Some very awkward areas to consider. The tools and spare tracks and the way us Brits attached them were hard.

Anyway......onward to filters.

Thanks again

👍

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking camo 👍🏻

14 hours ago, stips said:

Great work.
Nice and very neat :yes:

Thanks chaps.....managed to finish it last night so on my way home and post a status update.......catch u later 👍