TAMIYA MATILDA "RUBBLE CAMO"

I must say you have about 10,000% more patience than I do. Not too sure about the sanity quotient though.

All kidding aside it does look good, unique and a definite eye-opener. Keep it up, the turret is just a little project now.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

Morning all..........my apologies. I've not been able to keep up with everyone's build blogs and comment. But I'll get back up to speed the next few days. The Matilda I managed to get the rest of the "rubble" camo' done last week.....but just wasn't in a position to post.....so here we go. I have a couple of repairs to do.....re-attach the rear lights (broke off in camo' painting:bangin:).....and a slight repair on a line of camo on the turret where I attempted to apply the red triangle decals supplied by Tamiya, only to find out they don't really fit. The micro soll attacked the camo....so touch up required at the end prior to weathering, filters etc.T0PyM8E.jpg

SQkhrru.jpg

DUU2ROn.jpg

I might switch tack a little this week and get back on another build....been painting a lot lately and need to get some building in......:nod:

chat later......:yes:

• Like 16

On 5/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, Getting Old said:

excellent work, well done :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

That looks excellent Simon. When It's finished, you'll need to do a Tilly in the same cammo to keep it company.

John.

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

Really clean work.... Love it

Thanks Chaps...........trying to get it done.....managed a filter last night and some feint wash. Going to do chipping and wear as the next step. Big problem is the shape definition as the "Rubble" camo' is really effective in hiding it's form........:smirk:. I also have a few parts still to add and maybe some stowage and "stuff".

As regards a "Tilly" John......I have a self imposed ban on new kit purchase's as i have a mountain in my stash I need to move on to in time......although I did break on a picking up an Opel Blitz by Tamiya the other day....but is was a bargain at 2/3's the price with shipping....couldn't resist. I needed something though to take the rocket launchers I got for the Zugkraftwagen that i didn't use in the end.....if I see a "Tilly" going cheap, I might try one in rubble camo.

Thanks again ......:yes:

Redcoat

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Afternoon all....had to have a break from the Elephant.....so switched over back to the Matilda for a break. Started the weathering and chipping part. I need to get my hands on some oil filters and try them out on this one as I have to lighten some surfaces here and there......

cheers all.....:yes:

klPleBI.jpg

Have to replace the light.....broke off, so need to replace the stem with some brass rod and refix......

O3Xdgtk.jpg

• Like 12

Really nice result Simon.  The chipping and grime already tone the camo down a bit. The base colour modulation is wtill somewhat visible. I am sure you would lose it with an overall filter. Maybe you can try to modulate the green, a very thin oil paint or some focused work with a small brush could help there?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Getting Old said:

fantastic work, can't wait to see it after the weathering :like:

Thanks for that......thought it needed to be finished....been looking at me on the shelf for some time.

Thanks again......:yes:

1 minute ago, Soeren said:

Really nice result Simon.  The chipping and grime already tone the camo down a bit. The base colour modulation is wtill somewhat visible. I am sure you would lose it with an overall filter. Maybe you can try to modulate the green, a very thin oil paint or some focused work with a small brush could help there?

Hi Soeren.......cheers mate

I splashed a load of AK301 Dark Wash for Wood Decks, part of their Naval range. It's a new method I'm developing. I covered the whole tank liberally. Left t for abut 2 mins and then started to rub it off with dampened cotton wool buds. Rubbing it off the raised points etc. What i discovered is that you start to actually get real "wear and tear"......still working on it overall as a new technique for me anyway.

Then I went ahead and did the usual two colour chipping on areas of real wear from the rubbing down. In places I started to use the Mr Color Thinner 400. This lifts anything....(great as a general brush cleaner)........then a little pigments in cracks and crevices.

I want to try some oils as I've never used them before.....

Cheers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Brilliant paint job! 

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve.......I've been putting this one off a little.......it started to get a bit daunting.......so I thought, sod it and covered it in a wash to break up the thing and got going.......:laugh:

Cheers,,.....:yes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks Steve.......I've been putting this one off a little.......it started to get a bit daunting.......so I thought, sod it and covered it in a wash to break up the thing and got going.......:laugh:

Cheers,,.....:yes:

Sod it always works for me! 

Regards

Steve

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Carius said:

Excellent paint job indeed :clap2:

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Excellent build Simon. Makes a nice change to see a finish other than desert cammo.

John.

1 hour ago, Phil1960 said:

Really outsyanding camo! Well done. Please add the Beaufort in tow😉.

Ciao

Filippo

Thanks for that guy's.........actually John, I just couldn't face the problems in doing the Caunter camo........way to many up and down features on the Matilda...:D.

Thanks Filippo.....excuse my ignorance.....what would a Beaufort be?....I'm not that knowledgeable on Allied AFV's.

Redcoat.....:yes:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

only just seen the finished build. Really nice. Mine is progressing (painted wheels/inside skirt and track to allow that to be all buttoned up and for the build to finish.

• Like 1