TAMIYA MATILDA "RUBBLE CAMO"

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all....I hope your holiday weekend goes well.

Managed a couple of nights ago to get the primer and modulation base coat on the Matilda. Painted some specific details, so not lost when the main colour goes on.

O4G5kaA.jpg

Xw7wjY6.jpg

B1aCqam.jpg

aQK1dRd.jpg

Here's a shot with the side skirt dry fitted as I'll add them on once all the track work is done.

zhRsydg.jpg

Catch you all soon......:yes:

• Like 11

nice work Simon... think the Matilda will be my next build (caunter scheme which I know wont work as I am terrible at masking)... any tips on the kit and how it goes together?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

nice work Simon... think the Matilda will be my next build (caunter scheme which I know wont work as I am terrible at masking)... any tips on the kit and how it goes together?

Hi Rob......cheers mate. The kit itself went together as 99% of all Tamiya kits. No real issue's, other than working with the PE set I chose for it. If you going to get a PE set for yours, then watch out for the rear drop tank brackets. I chose to go with the kit brackets and PE straps around the tank itself. Also the straps for the exhausts were a troublesome detail. And the brackets for the tools, like all British design, was very fiddly, and in reality I imagine inferior to German tool clamps. Really hard to get those done ........😣

The link and length tracks were the first I had done of this type.....OK, but not my fave. You don't see a lot of them, so no worries really.

Overall, you should have no issues with the kit

Thanks again...:yes:

Simon.

• Like 1

I like the pre paint work simon, good enough to be a top coat, I like this way of painting it takes a great deal of weathering out of the equation at the end, almost a finished job after the main colour, almost

26 minutes ago, Getting Old said:

looking forward to the main coat going on :thumbsup:

Thanks for that.....👍, cheers

11 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I like the pre paint work simon, good enough to be a top coat, I like this way of painting it takes a great deal of weathering out of the equation at the end, almost a finished job after the main colour, almost

Thanks Hewy.......yeah, I’m  starting to pun down a technique that I can manage. I did it on my Grille, Sturmhaubitz and Centaur. I intend to  do a very bright, light sand which will be toned downed with a wash. Im going to experiment with very, very thin multiple coats of this light sand colour. Start really light and use the weathering to bring it down a bit.

The problem I face is the hand painted “rubble” camo lines won’t have the modulation effect. I might have to vary the tone of this paint to match 😖

Anyway.....thanks both for taking a look..👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Redcoat2966 said:

which will be toned downed with a wash. Im going to experiment with very, very thi

I fully agree simon I'm beginning to paint whole models now in almost untrue lighter shades, where the lightest areas can nearly be described as white, knowing that washes and oils can  bring it all back to something close , but if you start dark it's almost impossible to bring the painting to life, I like your plan, it'll work no doubt, but some may not be swayed by non matching, unrealistic paint colours, 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

The problem I face is the hand painted “rubble” camo lines won’t have the modulation effect. I might have to vary the tone of this paint to match

@PlaStix is the man to ask here, if there's a way I'm sure he'll know how

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hewy said:

...........it'll work no doubt, but some may not be swayed by non matching, unrealistic paint colours, 

As Mig Jimenez said Hewy “ we are here to create theatre and the illusion of reality”......he doesn’t seem to produce bad pieces...😁 . For me, if you don’t highlight the detail, with modulation etc, it can be a tad dull (IMBO)..and lack depth...some modellers though resort to dry brushing....... I stopped using that method 20+ years ago. It can get a little generic in the outcome......

5 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

As Mig Jimenez said Hewy “ we are here to create theatre and the illusion of reality”......he doesn’t seem to produce bad pieces...😁 . For me, if you don’t highlight the detail, with modulation etc, it can be a tad dull (IMBO)..and lack depth...some modellers though resort to dry brushing....... I stopped using that method 20+ years ago. It can get a little generic in the outcome......

I agree, case in point, pre painted in the same way as your matilda though not nearly as well

Originally in panzer grey, as part of the panzer gb (don't mean to hijack) 

FRNO4D1.jpg

• Like 2

i am a fan of the B&W technique - have used it on a few kits with single colour. Am not sure how well I could manage multiple coloured schemes unless you only painted where the colour is (rather than base coat then scheme over the top)... 

Tas 44M

28086259887_a563035d09_c.jpgIMG_20180622_190135 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

and @Hewy thats a great example

• Like 1

@robw_uk  that looks very effective, multi  colour shading, higher contrast looks wrong but works very well , I think Simon will agree where most fall down on this kind of pre painting is  not having the nearly full translucency of the  top colour paint, this is where enamels and lacquer paints beat water thinned acrylics into a cocked hat, regarding camo's  and multi colours, why let the pre paint  coat matter, I think some would paint a temperate sea scheme for example by spraying the edsg first all over (using the edsg as almost a second undercoat  ) then masking, and painting the green, I reckon to get the best from this method would be very thin, freehand, (or masking if you really want to) , individual colours at first, only masking  later for a more crisper line, but still thin, ( only my thinking, and more of a theory ) I'm going to try this very method on my king tiger in the up coming gb. , sorry again simon

Glynn 

Morning all......managed to get some airbrushing done this morning before everyone descends on us for Sunday lunch.......:think:.....then pack up as some are staying over and I lost my model spot until later this week.......😣

Base coat on with some tinting. next step the tracks and then the dreaded rubble camo' by hand.......:worry:....I think next project I'm going to amp up the real deep shadows with pure black primer, middle tone the grey and pure white primer (which I have to pick up next time).

SZGE594.jpg

sezXARS.jpg

MUnMpKX.jpg

5W17TNc.jpg

Have a good day......post later in the week I hope....:think:

• Like 6

The transitions look great. The only drawback of black&white is the desaturation to some extent of the sand. Means you always get a cold transition towards the shadows with the translucent top coat. Maybe vallejos German camouflage black brown would make a decent Base coat?  

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

I think when the camo' is done, the wash coat for Dark yellow (DunkelGelb) or the Desert Sand I have by AK will bring the rich colour base I'm after. As I have mentioned. I find a lot of the projects on here start by creating the right richness of colour, but then when all the wash's, filters and weathering are completed; they end up really dark. I had it happen on my Centaur. Managed to bring it back in places, but it lost that vibrancy needed for these scales.

Next step the camo lines and then filters and wash.

Simon.

nice work Simon. Matty is looking nice.... makes me want to start mine now (but must get in to the habit of finishing (or at least moving on to full painting) whats on the bench - just 1 at the moment)

• Thanks 1

Cheers Rob.....:yes:

I'm finding...(for me anyway) ......multiple projects at the same time is preferable. There are at some stages of a project if just one at a time you can get bogged down, or rush a sequence; if you know what I mean. A change is a good as a rest as they say. As regards ongoing.....let me think...:think:

• Sturmhaubitz - Mud stage
  • Centaur - Mud stage
  • Steyr 1500a at final weathering a detail stage.
  • That Pz.Sfl.IVb 10,5cm le.FH. 18/1 Sd.Kfz.165/1 Ausf. A....... I had to pull out of the GB on Panzer IV's. Figuring out the paint sequence...:worry:
  • Panther G Night Fighter at primer stage.

I think that's enough for now........I'm just worrying where I'm going to keep them when finished.......:think:

Cheers mate, and thank again

Simon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Cheers Rob.....:yes:

I'm finding...(for me anyway) ......multiple projects at the same time is preferable. There are at some stages of a project if just one at a time you can get bogged down, or rush a sequence; if you know what I mean. A change is a good as a rest as they say. As regards ongoing.....let me think...:think:

• Sturmhaubitz - Mud stage
  • Centaur - Mud stage
  • Steyr 1500a at final weathering a detail stage.
  • That Pz.Sfl.IVb 10,5cm le.FH. 18/1 Sd.Kfz.165/1 Ausf. A....... I had to pull out of the GB on Panzer IV's. Figuring out the paint sequence...:worry:
  • Panther G Night Fighter at primer stage.

I think that's enough for now........I'm just worrying where I'm going to keep them when finished.......:think:

Cheers mate, and thank again

Simon.

ha yes... having said 1 at a time the T20 has fiddly bogies and tracks (indi-link) so might use the Matilda as a foil for fiddle (or a new modelling term a "fiddle-foil") 

• Like 1