TAMIYA MATILDA "RUBBLE CAMO"

Morning all

Another one that's languished for some time. I'm hoping around from one project to another based on attention span....:think:

Managed finally to finish all the PE upgrades for this one and just have a few additional items like towing cables etc to look into. I decided with some research to go for something different than the wacky North Africa camo' that is traditionally chosen and went for this........

rZ3I4yk.jpg

The cupola isn't then same (due to a big disaster with the taller one in the build...:unamused:

Next step is the primer, and I'll do that when I set up the spray booth again for the Panther G I have on the bench maybe closer to the weekend....

l00XlFr.jpg9kYdzd4.jpgT4saS9g.jpgoPEtgI6.jpgnFTYLLn.jpgSljt14d.jpg

Until next time.....:yes:

• Like 19

Blimey Simon! You don't do things by half do you? Three major builds on the go at the same time. I do like this on though, especially when it will be finished in the Malta cammo.

John.

Hi John....how are you.....yeah....I have a tough time in keeping on one project, and focus on a finishing them.....:think:......when I hit a brick wall or major problem, I switch and think about how to fix it while working on the next one, or one I waiting in the wings...... I have 8 bubbling at the moment........:worry:

Cheers mate.........I was just sitting here pondering the paint job.....I have to leave off the side skirts to do the tracks and the internals of the mud chutes etc.........just got to figure out the sequence......:worry:

Hi Simon,

That does look like a really nice build, with lovely PE. With that camo scheme it's a prime candidate for Blu-Tac masking if ever I saw one.

I too had no idea Matildas were that small.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

I think I would tackle it with blu-tak too.  Overall sand then roll out blu-tak to a thin sheet, cut the block and add them to the tank until you are happy with them then on with the green.  

• Like 1

If I was doing this scheme, I'd hand paint the green as the very thought of cutting all of those pieces from Blue-tac would drive me mad. I found a previous article on BM from seven years ago where someone was doing this tank. No pictures though as I think the dreaded PB fiasco got involved. The article stated Khaki Green G3 over Light Stone 61 or Portland Stone 64. Here's a cut and paste;

That's "Griffin". Khaki Green No.3 base overpainted with Light Stone 61 or Portland Stone 64 "boulders" All four Matildas, Griffin, Gallant, Greyhound and Faulknor were painted in similar colours but with variations in the size and shape of the boulders so you need to find a pic of which one you're doing.

HTH's.

John.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi Simon,

That does look like a really nice build, with lovely PE. With that camo scheme it's a prime candidate for Blu-Tac masking if ever I saw one.

I too had no idea Matildas were that small.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi badder.....cheers mate. Took some time, but got there. Didn't like the link and length tracks that it came with and a Bronco workable was crap. I think more and more, I'm sticking with either Magic or Friuls.....as regards size, thank god we Brits got our act together somewhat and moved on to the Cromwell's etc.......and that was anywhere near good enough to take on the Panthers etc.

15 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I think I would tackle it with blu-tak too.  Overall sand then roll out blu-tak to a thin sheet, cut the block and add them to the tank until you are happy with them then on with the green.  

2 minutes ago, Soeren said:

This could be the perfect candidate for the good old brush painting as well.

As regards the painting......I'm going with a hand painted line work of the rubble camo' as Soeren suggested, as it was done this way in the field.

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

If I was doing this scheme, I'd hand paint the green as the very thought of cutting all of those pieces from Blue-tac would drive me mad. I found a previous article on BM from seven years ago where someone was doing this tank. No pictures though as I think the dreaded PB fiasco got involved. The article stated Khaki Green G3 over Light Stone 61 or Portland Stone 64. Here's a cut and paste;

That's "Griffin". Khaki Green No.3 base overpainted with Light Stone 61 or Portland Stone 64 "boulders" All four Matildas, Griffin, Gallant, Greyhound and Faulknor were painted in similar colours but with variations in the size and shape of the boulders so you need to find a pic of which one you're doing.

HTH's.

John.

Hi John, .........thats perfect mate. I wouldn't have guessed the stones were painted on to the green base coat. I think though for ease, I'll do the lines of green over a stone base coat. Whats a "PB fiasco"?

The Malta tanks arrived in a variety of finishes.  The Matildas and single Valentine arrived in UK colours, while some others came from Egypt in desert colours.  So some had the rubble painted on while others had the lines painted.  The line colour may have been a local paint, not necessarily a service colour.

But from the modelling perspective I think the only reasonable way to go is to paint the tank the overall lighter colour and then brush paint the lines.  If you wanted to do the reverse, a liquid mask is perhaps the way to go rather than "hard" masking.

I have the Valentine V in my stash to do in the Malta scheme.  Annoyingly there don't seem to be any right side or rear photos, only left and front.  The line colour there would be G3 too.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

The Malta tanks arrived in a variety of finishes.  The Matildas and single Valentine arrived in UK colours, while some others came from Egypt in desert colours.  So some had the rubble painted on while others had the lines painted.  The line colour may have been a local paint, not necessarily a service colour.

But from the modelling perspective I think the only reasonable way to go is to paint the tank the overall lighter colour and then brush paint the lines.  If you wanted to do the reverse, a liquid mask is perhaps the way to go rather than "hard" masking.

I have the Valentine V in my stash to do in the Malta scheme.  Annoyingly there don't seem to be any right side or rear photos, only left and front.  The line colour there would be G3 too.

My thoughts exactly....sand colour first then paint the lines. I read somewhere it was possibly a grey green colour, as you say a local supply. What would G3 be?

I think the masking fluid idea also could be a direction to take.

Simon.

If you are spraying, then this does look like an interesting masking job, whichever way you go - green first or stone first.  There are arguments for either approach.

It would b good to see a photo (or two) of the model masked up, before you complete spraying. (assuming that is the approach you settle with)

• Like 1

I think after studying the shapes on the Matilda, it'll be a stone base coat and hand painted lines........it'll be the first time since I was a kid that hand painting makes a big comeback.........:sad:. Although I might do an experiment with masking fluid on an old hulk and see if that makes it easier

• Like 1

Several companies do masking fluid in pens or a bottle that you can use like a pen.  Not a modelling product: art thing.  Search for masking fluid pen.  How well they work on modelling paint is an open question.  But probably worth a try.  As for which brand.........  It seems to me that a pen-type applicator might be easier to use than a brush and with a lot less stopping to recharge the brush.

• Like 1

Geez, you sure have lots of irons in the fire.  The Panther looks great, not so sure about the Matilda though.

I wonder if paint pens come in green. I think I'd try something like that on some scrap before resorting to a brush. I

don't have Plastix's skills with brushes and this looks way way beyond me. It's like that Berlin camo on Chieftains,

stay far far away.  Chieftains came in green and or sand not fake buildings or city sky lines.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Take care,

Lloyd

Did some more research....thought this was interesting. Looks like it was sprayed.

ZKMo9s5.jpg

Two shots of what I think is a Vickers AFV..........same vehicle on separate occasions

2MHDIKP.jpg

WEMtjuv.jpg

And a Valentine

XkL0KxE.jpg

• Like 1

The last photo reminds me of when I was a young kid (probably about the age of those in the photo) My dad used to be in the TA and drove Saladins (and later Foxes) Sometimes he drove the Saladin down our cul-de-sac and let all the kids sit in it.

Not sure what the MOD would think about that nowadays!

• Like 1